Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 9th, 2009 12:00

No backup partition

Hi,

I have a Studio XPS 8000, Windows 7 Pro, i7 processor. It did not arrive with a backup partition, which I thought was standard. Is this something I should ask Dell service to fix?

Thank you!

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

December 9th, 2009 13:00

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

December 9th, 2009 14:00

It's not a backup partition, only a system image for factory restore. You should not move, change, backup to or add to the Recovery partition. It is a hidden partition which is why you might not be aware of it. Directions for restoring a windows 7 computer by using the Recovery partition are HERE.

Backups must be saved on separate hard drives, either external or internal, not different partitions.

4 Posts

December 9th, 2009 14:00

Hi, many thanks for you help. I actually see no recovery partition though. I only have a C drive and then the DVD drive. I did an F8 on startup and there was no option for restoring factory settings. Is that normal? Thanks again!

4 Posts

December 9th, 2009 15:00

Not sure if you guys need these details but...

When I hit F8 on restart and then choose Dell Datasafe Restore and Emergency Backup I have two choices: 1/Restore computer and preserve files or 2/Select New System Backup and more options.

If I select number 2 I can choose either to Backup files or to restore comptuer to most recent backup.

There is no option to return to factory settings.

No Events found!