Start a Conversation

Unsolved

C

24 Posts

March 12th, 2020 04:00

Private messages are broken. There's no option to send message or create new one

Just reiterating what's said in other threads. Everything was fine yesterday morning and now on 4 browsers I have the same issue, there's no way to send a PM and no box to create a new one. This needs fixing ASAP.

• 

25.1K Posts

March 12th, 2020 08:00

Hi, 

I have replied to your Private message regarding the same query. 

-Prajesh

24 Posts

It didn't work for me, at least on Edge browser.

24 Posts

Hello Prajesh,

Yes, I did  the performance tests and no errors came up. I sent an image of the qr code message to the email address as requested, with the correct number in the subject header.

9 Posts

I just found this work around, it'll work for some people.

Click the three button menu on the top right of the messages page, select "Mark all new". Once this is done the reply buttons show back up for me. 

• 

25.1K Posts

March 12th, 2020 09:00

Hi, 

I have reviewed the image. We would also need to review the system health. Click on Ok > click the right arrow from the right bottom of the screen and share an image of the screen to the email under the same subject line. 

-Prajesh

2 Posts

March 12th, 2020 11:00

same with me.  I could not open some of Dell private message to me; it only opens the last message and there is no reply button.

very frustrated

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

March 12th, 2020 12:00

All,

We have escalated this Forum software issue. It has nothing to do with your PC or operating system.

24 Posts

March 12th, 2020 14:00

Prajesh, I've sent a further image. In that instance the performance test was also fine, but twice prior to that it hung for a while and produced two error messages. I've just realized that I can't activate Windows, I have 'no digital license', and I'm not aware of having been given a product key. The activation reminder in the corner of the screen (like a watermark) disappeared after doing the performance test... as though something has gone wrong with the system corrupting the Windows activation options. 

• 

25.1K Posts

March 12th, 2020 14:00

Thanks for the images,

Let us run the support assist scan, which will check for driver/BIOS update, hardware issues, and optimize the system performance. You can watch a video here https://dell.to/2W7gbQJ for instructions

If that does not work, I would request you to restart the system to safe mode and check if the issue persists. You can watch a video here https://dell.to/3aRs5m6 for instructions

Regarding the windows activation. The system is a digital licensed and does not have physical key.

Have you tried activating it? And was there any error?

You could refer link shared here https://dell.to/2WjO7Kj and see if that helps.

-Kughalu 

• 

25.1K Posts

March 12th, 2020 15:00

Was the windows activated when you bought it? If yes, was there any update that happened on the system?

Yes, the BIOS settings could be related. You may follow link shared here https://dell.to/2WaUgbo on how to active it. If issue, persist chat with Microsoft team from the same link.

Feel free to drop us a message if any further concern.

24 Posts

No, it wasn't activated. It had the watermark on the bottom right of the display asking to activate windows. For some reason that has disappeared. The Microsoft advice in this situation is to contact the manufacturer, i.e. Dell. But you're telling me to contact Microsoft.

Except, in the section about refurbished PCs it says one should have been given a certificate of authenticity containing an activation key. I was not given this, so the question is whether I should have a digital license or an activation key. Since the product is under a new Dell warranty I assume it ought to have a digital license.

24 Posts

Hi Kughali. I can't activate because there's no option to: it states 'there's no digital license.' Using the 'troubleshoot' option only allows to scan for hardware changes. Obviously there haven't been any hardware changes, and so that option does nothing. The digital license is missing.

Looking in the bios there's no manufacturing date, ownership date, asset tag, or Ownership tag. I don't know if these are related to Windows activation.

24 Posts

March 12th, 2020 16:00

You mean running 'supportAssist'? Yes, that's done. Actually in general the machine is running better than when I first got it. The fan is coming on less frequently... but you can tell me whether the temperature stats I sent in the image are normal for this model? 

I'm more concerned about activation now. It appears that a product key has been entered by the retailer, the last 5 characters of it are visible, but Windows thinks that the key isn't genuine. I believe this problem has arisen since doing the performance checks having booted into bios settings.

24 Posts

By 'general' did you mean 'overview'? I''ve sent an image to the same email address as previously.

• 

25.1K Posts

Hi,

The temperatures that you had mentioned are normal and it is normal for the fans to spin more when doing CPU intensive tasks.

The product key is embedded to the motherboard and is not available off hand. However, please open BIOS by pressing F2 on system restart, click on General and share a picture of the screen.

- Kalpana

No Events found!