Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 7th, 2009 11:00

Question regarding language filters

I have been using these forums for about 6 months now and never had a post deleted.  

Last week I was responding to a post I had made a few months ago.  Others had asked questions and proported answers to the questions and I was trying to give an in-depth reply and not only was my response post deleted, the entire topic was deleted.  

The reason given was that I had violated the TOS because I used a word in common usage with 5 year old children.  I described the graphics on older 16bit Windows games as (insert 6 letter word that begins with C and ends with Y and means:  of a low quality; [or] a small school-fish usually found in lakes and ponds). 

No native-English speaker would have considered that offensive or a violation of the TOS.  Someone taught english as a second language might look up that word and find that the root can be a synonym for another 4 letter word that I would NOT use on the forums.   More likely, some translator program incorrectly flagged this word.

I apologize to the Dell Community for posting this in the forums, but there are no links to contact the forum moderators directly.  Shouldn't someone be able to address a grievence? 

It was a popular topic regarding upgrading the E521 and C521 desktops.  Multiple forum members had replied with their input and full of good information regarding which RAM could be used, which video cards will work with the OEM power supply, etc...

Here's my question - since that kindergarten word is considered offensive, can I still use words like 'gosh' or 'darn' or 'golly', or will they also get my entire topic deleted by someone 6000 miles away from Dell's primary market? 

I expect a response from a moderator (or an email that I can actually reply to) regarding this situation. 

-------------------------------------------------

with love for anyone brave enought to attempt to max-upgrade the Dimension x521 series,

thorman

No Responses!
No Events found!