Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 7th, 2009 12:00

Recent problems with PC performance

Hi

Just joined up today with a specific printer/cartridge problem but have a more general difficulty if anyone out there has any advice they'd like to share?

I've got a 5 year old Dell Dimension 2400, Pentium (R) 4CPU, 3.06Ghz with 2 GB RAM  which is the maximum memory it will take, the hard disk is74.4 GB of which 56.6 is free.  I had virtually no trouble with it (except when I was impatient) until a few months ago when it started getting tempremental, taking it's time to load up especially Internet Explorer and Outlook Express. The wisdom from Google was that I lacked memory (1 Gig back then) so I coughed up and got another Gig from Crucial and plugged it in.  Surprise, surprise; it didn't seem to help a whole lot. To add to my woes I weakened and signed up for IE version8 (I was quite happy with IE6 and knew I didn't want all the contrived extras but I got worried about security and stuff). BIG MISTAKE; now it frequently seizes up and I increasingly have to resort to pressing the off switch to get out of trouble.

Any suggestions?

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

September 7th, 2009 15:00

FrustratedBigTime,

Since you mentioned that you were happy with IE6, I'm guessing that you're using Windows XP, correct?

If so, then go to start, control panel, add/remove programs, show updates. Look for Internet Explorer 8, click on it, then click uninstall. You'll get a message saying that these programs were installed and may not work properly. Click ok and follow the instructions. When the computer restarts, you'll have IE7 back.

Not sure if it will work but if you do this again and uninstall IE7, you should have IE6 back. I really likes IE6 better than IE7 and on my Vista machine, which comes with IE7, I will not install IE8 as it was slowing down my computer.

Rick

No Events found!