Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 10th, 2009 09:00

Recovery D full.

Hey people: I have the same problem as many of you.  The "Recovery disc D is full" ballon pops up about every 20 minutes.  When I go to delete any unncessary files there are not any.  I have checked the disc and out of 10 Gig total only less then 900 K is available.  ALL of this was installed by Dell over a period of two years, from before I bought it, and after with updates I guess.  Some files I am denied access, others Windows does not know how to open--doesn't recognize file extensions.  Am I doomed to live with this forever?

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

November 10th, 2009 09:00

You must have made the same mistake as the other users that complain about this. You were not supposed to add to or change or use partition D at all. It is a part of your hard drive that contained the disk image for a factory restore. Now that you have used it for backup or whatever, it's useless. It is not a separate disk, just a separate partition on disk C. Dell never installed anything over the 2 years. You had to tell Windows where to download files and where to backup files and it should have been an external drive that is used for backup, not the Recovery partition.

3 Posts

November 10th, 2009 13:00

I have Vista Premium and have had the same problem with Recovey D indicating it was full. Since my computer is still under warranty I called Dell and it was a simple fix. Go to Start and click COMPUTER.  When it opens right click Recovery D then click open. A list of files should appear and if one has your name delete it. They did this for me and I recovered about  65% free space. Hope it works for you

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

November 10th, 2009 16:00

Hi, gmanfl:

Thank you for posting your solution. Those of us who've not used Vista did not know how easy this was.

2 Posts

November 11th, 2009 10:00

Dear Mary G:  I thank you for your reply, and understand the logic, but I say again there are no files that I recognize or have access to in order to delete.  No back up was made to this disk.   The culprit is a file named Dell/image/factory.WIM, at 6.5gig all by itself.  Windows cannot even open it.  (The ballon just popped up now). 

I find it very disturbing that the system will allow one to make backups to Recovery D when it should be forbidden!  It seems to me that this should be an invisible partition except to someone who is trying to make a recovery!

Thanks to all you other guys out there who also responded.  I will be interested in any responses.  Thanks.

August 23rd, 2010 17:00

I read the instruction and they were very easy to follow. The problem is a message that comes up regardless of the file size that there is not enough space to delete the files. Any solutions?

Nevermind... I resolved the issue. I had to go to the top folder in the hierarchy to perform the delete. Once I did that, I was able to delete the backup files on D. Everything is resolved now. I hope this post helps other too... great suggestion.

No Events found!