Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 23rd, 2008 13:00

System Restore Does Not Work - Windows XP

Thank you, Hanspuppa and Karthiktkv, for answering.  It's wonderful to know there are still people out there willing to help a stranger.

Before the disk space usage was set to 200MB, I had it set to the maximum 17,834MB and System Restore still did not work.  I just upgraded to Service Pack 3, hoping maybe there are new drivers that might help on this issue, but nothing changed.

I went to the website that you recommended, Karthiktkv, and did a search and didn't find anything about this issue.  I also checked Microsoft's knowledge base website and followed all the steps they recommend to check the utility, but nothing made any difference.

Again thank you to everyone for their response.

799 Posts

Hello D-W Man, Sorry to hear you were unable to resolve the issue. Since you have tried all the suggestions, I would try a Windows XP Repair install at this point. If you decide to do this, I would backup all your important data first. If you are unsure on how to do this just let us know and we can walk you through it. This repair should leave all your data intact, although I have had to reinstall some applications afterwards due to the registry rebuild. I have this issue occur quite often, and just today as a matter of fact. All the Restore Points were removed for some reason or another. I just created a new one and all is fine now. This doesn't seem to be your issue however. Hope this helps.

4.4K Posts

From what you write, it seems that instead of replying in your previous thread you started a new one, so I don't know what suggestions were made.

However, if you have Norton AV or NISS installed, check out

http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/sharedtech.nsf/pfdocs/2005113009323013

THIRD ATTEMPT TO POST THIS

20.5K Posts

Here is the original topic:

http://en.community.dell.com/forums/t/19243464.aspx

Malware can disable System Restore. Have you done any anti-malware scans?

3.4K Posts

OOps

I think you lost your thread. You posted this as an answer to a running thread, but you did it in a new thread.

You need to go back and look for the area your question was running.

No Events found!