Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 5th, 2009 13:00

TV Tuner, TVT9

Can someone help me?  I just got my 435mt and I ordered it with a Tv tuner, TVT9+Basic Remote. 

I have never had a tv tuner in my computer and I can't figure it out.  I am not a computer junky so I am just winging it.  I followed the hooking up instructions and was finally able to pick up my tv signals.  I have Dish for my tv's, and I have my computer in my bedroom so the box for dish is out in another room, so I hooked it up just running a line out from my wall jack to the computer.  It took forever to finally wire it up to get my tv signals.  None of the lines would go in far enough in the cable jack in the back of my computer.  But I did figure out away to make it work.

When I turn it on and go threw the instructions for set up, it only comes up with 7 stations but with no signal strength.  I tried it on my bedroom tv and the picture is great with all of my stations. 

I thought I would be able to watch tv on my computer, and also work on the computer.  That was what the sales person told me.  But I have yet to be able to watch anything.  It says there is not signal when I am on the tv section of mulitmedia.  And the channels it is showing is channel numbers I don't even have on regular tv.

Please, if anyone can help, or  direct me in the right direction, it would be greatly appreciated. 

I don't know if I was told wrong info so I would add it to my computer or what.  And I am to the point of calling a local computer person to come and help me.   I have had nothing but trouble with this hooking up of this computer.  I can't get the tv tuner to work and I can't figure out what I am doing wrong trying to do a home network with another computer that I changed to wireless so my daughter could use it in her room.  I understand now why I should have payed extra and had someone set it up when I got the new computer. 

Last night my Mcafee had problems, and I just got this computer a week ago, I had to uninstall it and then reinstall to get it to work.  It was showing failers and out of date info.  So so far I not the happiest person with dell right now. 

Please if one can help, I thank you in advance!

If anyone can help me with this tv tuner

2 Intern

• 

20.1K Posts

You hook up the tuner card the same as you connected a tv. If you need a box on each tv, you need another one for the computer. If you want to just receive over the air broadcasts, connect an antenna (rabbit ears) you can get anywhere for $10 for a very limited number of local channels. If you want to receive the same channels as your box, split the box connection if possible and run a line from the box to the computer and the tv. Then you would need to change channels on the box. Dish tv might have more info or might want to charge you for an extra tv. I have cable and that is easier to connect to a computer.

21 Posts

What is theInput Source Being Used By the TV Tuner Device

Figure 1: Typical cable TV (CATV) connection

Figure 2: Typical S-video connection

Figure 3: Typical composite video connection

which one is it ??

1.3K Posts

July 5th, 2009 14:00

rlmetz40,

If anyone can help me with this tv tuner

I have found a link to the user guide to your TV tuner.  It  can be d/l to your desktop, and viewed.

This is a link to a Audio video Forum called AVS and your tuner

21 Posts

July 5th, 2009 16:00

im not sure if the split has anything to do here ... if i may say so .. you can try connecting the coax before the split happens , so as to check if that was causing the issue ( im guessing its too much to ask ,considering this is a desktop , and a pretty huge one)

Reinstall the Drivers For the TV Tuner Device frm support.dell.com

Perform the Media Center Display Optimization Wizard

1. Open the Media Center application within Windows.
  2. Choose Settings.

3. Select TV.

4. Click on Adjust Display Settings.

5. Follow the prompts to calibrate your display.

6 Posts

July 5th, 2009 16:00

It is the CATV hook up.  I hooked up by a split from the cable.  I have a dish box that operates two tv's in two different rooms,  one in the den with the box and it also controls the bedroom tv.  I split the one from the bedroom.  I had figured it I liked it I could do away with the normal tv in the bedroom and just replace with the computer.

thanks for getting back to me.

6 Posts

July 5th, 2009 18:00

I have tried the straight shot and didn't make any difference.  It picks up a signal going threw start up but puts out 7 stations I don't get on regular tv.  If I have a box that works two tv's they should still work the tuner I would think,  yes the box is not in the same room but that makes no difference with this.  I figured I would have to use the remote for the dish to work it, but I still cant get past the beginning.  It should have over 200 stations coming up. 

Thanks Again, for all of the imput you all have gave me.

R.

21 Posts

July 8th, 2009 10:00

this could be a hardware limitation also , ( incompatibility ,etc. ) - but even this is a remote possibility ,... hardly happens .

try updating the drivers .. (see my earlier post ) . easiest way to try and fix this ..

6 Posts

July 8th, 2009 12:00

I finally got it to work with the Hauppauge WinTV.  I still cannot hook it up with the Windows Media Center.  It only opens for channels 2,3,4 and with the way dish is hooked up I only use channel 3 in the den and channel 73 in the room with the computer.  I think the only way to fix this would be switch the dish box from one room to the other.  I am still working on it.  

I greatly appreciate all of the help!  My TVT9 didn't say anything about how to hook it up past installing the cable.  And I had to come up with a new cable line because it would not find that it was hooked up, until I found out that the cable copper core line has to be pretty long to make contact with the connector.

thank you all for the Hauppauge links, after I installed it everything else seemed to work.

No Events found!