Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

December 28th, 2014 06:00

The General Forum boards are locked, read only

I've been an active memeber in about 15 other forums but never had such a hard time finding a way of how to comment on an EXISTING forum thread.

The only button I can find is 'new post' - which creates a new thread imho.

But when I'm in an existing conversation, I cannot find a box to enter a new post to this thread (unlike BLOG posts!), nor a button like 'reply to thread' or so, as common in other forums.

The only way seems to be to 'reply', but then I have to refer to another post, which I not always want. I sometimes just want to add a further comment to the thread's topic.

How to do that?

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

February 23rd, 2018 08:00

You must start a new thread on the applicable Laptops model, Desktops model, or Accessories Forum boards.

With the recent move to this Lithium Forum software, all thread/post in the Laptops General board and Desktops General board are locked into a read only status. When you go to those Forum boards, you will see that every thread has the blue/white padlock, meaning locked/read only =

Locked.JPG

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

August 15th, 2018 07:00

hyvokar,

This is not an issue. As I stated on 2/23/18, those boards are locked into a read only state. You must start a new thread on the applicable Laptops model, Desktops model, or Accessories Forum boards.

2.3K Posts

December 28th, 2014 08:00

Hi Foreign.Passport,

You will need to be logged into the forum to reply to posts. When logged in you will see a reply box after each post.

15 Posts

December 28th, 2014 08:00

Thank you.

Of course I was/am logged in. This is also how I created this very post ;-)

As outlined in my question, I do not want to 'reply' to a certain post, but 'reply to the thread', or 'comment on thread'. This is pretty basic in all other forums that I know. You CAN reply to a certain post, but don't have to.

2.3K Posts

December 28th, 2014 09:00

Go to the last post and click reply to add to the thread.

15 Posts

December 28th, 2014 10:00

OK, so no single comment possible, I always have to reply to someone. Thanks.

9.4K Posts

December 28th, 2014 16:00

Hi foreign.passport,

Thanks for posting on the forum.  If there is no reply button at the bottom of the post you wish to reply to, then the post may have been locked.  Can you give me the URL of the thread you wish to post on?  I'd be happy to check to see if it is locked.  Thanks.

Regards,
Robert

15 Posts

December 29th, 2014 00:00

Sorry I have another question which is related on how to operate Dell forums.

How can I subscribe to a thread, without having to post a silly message, like 'I want to know too' etc.? Also pretty basic stuff in the other forums that I know, but I can't find such an option here.

15 Posts

December 29th, 2014 00:00

Hi, there are reply buttons, thank you.

I'm just not used to posting in a forum that doesn't allow for posting in a thread, without REPLYING to someone. All the forums that I know also allow for posting in a thread, without having to REPLY to someone.

15 Posts

December 29th, 2014 02:00

One more:

when posting in FORUMS, how can I display all threads that I started or participated in, together with an indication on how many new posts were made, or answers were given, since my last post?

All I can find is such a display for my BLOG posts, but not for FORUMS. Yes there is a list of all 'activities', but it doesn't show if there was any reply or update on any of the posts.

It is very cumbersome to be active in such forums, without such information.

Thanks.

I found it: Home -> Your Discussions

However, this is only for one forum, which I have to choose first. Is there a way of how to display exactly this information, but for all forums that I posted in?

15 Posts

December 29th, 2014 02:00

One more:

when posting in FORUMS, how can I display all threads that I started or participated in, together with an indication on how many new posts were made, or answers were given, since my last post?

All I can find is such a display for my BLOG posts, but not for FORUMS. Yes there is a list of all 'activities', but it doesn't show if there was any reply or update on any of the posts.

Thanks.

9.4K Posts

December 29th, 2014 03:00

Sorry I have another question which is related on how to operate Dell forums.

How can I subscribe to a thread, without having to post a silly message, like 'I want to know too' etc.? Also pretty basic stuff in the other forums that I know, but I can't find such an option here.

You can subscribe to a thread by clicking on "favorite this thread" then you can follow it by checking "favorites" in your profile.

9.4K Posts

December 29th, 2014 03:00

foreign.passport

One more:

Thanks.

I found it: Home -> Your Discussions

However, this is only for one forum, which I have to choose first. Is there a way of how to display exactly this information, but for all forums that I posted in?

No, that option is not available on this forum.

2.3K Posts

December 29th, 2014 16:00

One more:

Thanks.

You will get an email notification for each thread that you started or participated in. Click your settings tab on the top right and then click emails. You will want to check emails and receive HTML. In the second part, check send notifications and enable status message and comment notification. I believe they are checked by default, but it is better to see for your self.

I add them to favorites, which is on the right side of the page and received notifications or you can subscribe to the group which is on the right side of the page.

For each thread on the main forum, there is a number count and view count.

February 1st, 2017 13:00

I agree...at this juncture I am trying to find how to create a post. I am in the laptop forum and there is no 'Create Post' or similar hyperlink.

No Events found!