Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 16th, 2009 05:00

USB doesn't recognize printer

Hi,

I am trying to use a new printer with my laptop, but when I connect it to my USB it says that it cannot recognize the device. I contacted Lexmark, and was told that in my 'device manager' under my 'Universal Serial Bus', I should have a 'USB printing Support', and that I should contact the manufacturer of my computer to check why I don't have it (update the drivers).  Does anyone know how do I get the 'USB printing support' into my device manager, or even better - what may be the reason that I cannot recognize the printer on my laptop?

I searched google, and found similar questions posted in forums. Most of them remained unanswered and were involved with a Lexmark printer. Other places suggested to reset the BIOS. I understand that this is a radical step, so before I do that I hope someone has some suggestions for me.

Laptop is Vostro 1500, Windows XP.

Thanks!

4.6K Posts

February 16th, 2009 06:00

Welcome to the forums :emotion-21:

Try downloading/reinstalling your chipset drivers from Vostro 1500 'Drivers & Downloads' section on the Dell website?

And - as with all USB devices... remember to install the printer drivers/software before connecting it to the laptop :emotion-55:

2 Posts

February 20th, 2009 09:00

I tried - didn't work.  I have the printer software installed, and it is supposed to lead me step by step (next, next) but it's not working.  I guess the main problem is that my device manager does not show that I have a 'USB printer support'. On the Dell website I found all the drivers for my Vostro 1500, but did not see any USB drivers. How do I get to have 'USB printer support'?

Thanks!

No Events found!