Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

J

December 30th, 2009 01:00

Unable to install wireless router

Can you help me?  Upon inserting the router installation cd I get an error message when I click to configure the router.  The error message states that the Setup Wizard cannot run over a wireless connection.  Error 311 No Wired Adapter Detected.  So with my desktop service tag # I wonder if I can find out if my Dell Dimension 8200 came with a wired network adapter so that I can continue to trouble shoot the system.  All I want to do is to be able to operate my Laptop and get internet from my desktop.  I checked all the connections and they are fine.  I even unplugged the power source from the desktop and re-plugged it in.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

December 30th, 2009 02:00

jaityc1,

To setup a wireless router, instructions vary from manufacturer and model number. Make and model number is helpful for us to help you.

You usually have to plug the ethernet cable from your computer to the wireless routers numbered port to set it up.

Please post back the make and model number and we'll help you set it up. You'll want to use these Recommended Wireless Router Settings

To make sure the setup is correct, please read...

Welcome, Please read first

Rick

8 Posts

December 30th, 2009 22:00

PudgyOne,

The make and model of my desktop is a Dell Dimension 8200 with windows XP Home edition.  The Laptop that I'm trying to use the router for is a Sony VAIO with Windows 7.  If you need more information let me know.  I changed my username from jaityc1 to carron1.  Thanks a bunch for your help Rick.

John

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

December 30th, 2009 23:00

John,

Did you setup your wireless router?

What is the make and model of your wireless router?

On the Sony VAIO with Windows 7, did this come with Windows 7 or was it an upgrade?

Rick

70 Posts

btw to know if you have a network adapter installed you can look up your device manager  under control panel, it should have under it a category called Network Adapters. You should see there something like "xxxx fast ethernet controller"

70 Posts

your router installation requires you to have a wired connection to your router before it can proceed and looks like you arent hence the error. look at the back or the sides of your computer, there should be a LAN connection there. it looks like a telephone socket, but a bit bigger. It should have an image beside it that has three squares arranged triangularly with a horizontal line between them. get a network cable, plug it on it and the other end at your router and you should be good to go..

8 Posts

December 31st, 2009 18:00

Hi Rick,

No, I haven't setup my wireless router.  The make and model of my wireless router is the Linksys Wireless-G Broadband Router, model #WRT54G2.  The

Sony VAIO Laptop came with the Windows 7.

John

14.4K Posts

December 31st, 2009 19:00

Hi Rick,

No, I haven't setup my wireless router.  The make and model of my wireless router is the Linksys Wireless-G Broadband Router, model #WRT54G2.  The

Sony VAIO Laptop came with the Windows 7.

John

It is better to try to do this manually. Power down everything. the computer, router and modem. Then connect the router to the modem and the computer to the router.

Power on the modem only. Wait untill you see all the lights lit up. then power on the router. wait until you see all the light on it lit up. Now power on your computer. once you are at the desktop open your web browser. in the address bar type in 192.168.1.1 hit enter.

you will get a log in window the user name is blank and the password is admin. this should access the router setup pages.

Go to the setup page and find the MAC address clone. select this and then select clone the pc address. What this will do is give you internet access as your cable modem will not recognize the MAC address of the router, when you clone the address you trick the modem into thinking that the MAC address of the router is that of the computer.

Next you should go into the wireless setup and set up your  network. At this point you should not add in security untill you make a test run with all the clients. Chose the the wireless channel in the settings. Most other setting you can leave at the defaults. Once you are done hit the save setting button. The router will save and reboot. Once you are back at the settings screen you can just close out it and with the browser go to places on the net to make sure it is working.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

John,

You have to plug an ehternet cable into the numbered port and into your laptop.

Try THIS PAGE and THIS PAGE.

I usually have people use this...

How to login to your wireless router and use these Recommended Wireless Router Settings

You'll need to know how to log in to your wireless router and then you can use those settings.

If you need help, please ask. we can go through this step by step.

Rick

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

John,

Follow Dave instructions. I was busy and didn't realize Dave posted, while I was typing.

Your setup should look like...

wall > comcast modem/router > Linksys wireless router > wired/wireless.

To setup your router, plug the ethernet cable into the numbered port of the Linksys and to your computer, then follow Daves instructions.

I broadcast SSID. I usually recommend people change this to make connecting to the new network easier.

I use WPA-PSK(TKIP) Security (Personal)

Mixed mode

Use channels 1, 6 or 11. I use channel 11.

Save and exit Power off the comcats modem/router and the Linksys router for 30 seconds. The turn on the comcast modem/router first. Wait 30 seconds then turn on your Linksys router. Restart your computer. Now try to connect to your new network.

Rick

8 Posts

Hi,

There is a connection in the back of my computer that has the connection with eight pins in it.  I believe it's called the ethernet port and also called the

Wireless Network Adapter according to the error message.  And this port has the ethernet cord attached and leading to my Motorola modem.  My modem is then

attached to the Comcast Cable cord.  Apparently I have High Speed internet .....( you could've fooled me), but I believe that's another issue.  It takes about three minutes

to get online once I click the internet explorer icon.  I've already tried the connections.  I removed the white ehthernet cord from my computer, plugged it behind the router in the internet port.  Then I plugged the blue ethernet cord supplied with the router into the router's port #1, and the other end to the back of my computer into the ethernet port.  As stated in the diagram for the router.  However, the connections could not be done with the instructions on the installation cd because I got an

error message right from the git go.  After I made the connections I put in the cd and got the same error message.  I disconnected all power from the wall outlet, installed the cd again and got the same error message.   I did check under Control panel, I think - where it states that broadband is disconnected-so I'm totally confused because I'm obviously online now.  I don't understand computer terminology and not computer savvy at all, but working on it.  I remember the cd stated in the error msg  that If your computer has a wired network adapter (i.e. ethernet) follow these steps:  1) Enable your wired network adapter 2) Click Retry to try installing your router again.  I did # 2 but I don't know how to do #1.  And that leads me to believe that the wired network adapter and ethernet are the same thing.  Is that right?  Well please keep giving me input, because I want to solve this problem.  Thank you much.

John

14.4K Posts

the wire from the modem connects to the internet port on the router. then like rick says the computer plugs into one of the numbered ports.so you need two ethernet cables. there should be one in the router box and just use the one you had connected to the modem Also i am on comcast so that will help too.

The setup from linksys very rarely works. I have had a couple of linksys routers and have alway set them up as I outline.

It is best that we get you connected wired first then we can work on getting you setup wirelessly. I am very familuar with linsys routers so just let us know.

No Events found!