Highlighted
rachgohogs
1 Copper

Vostro 1510 stuck in hibernation HELP!

My Vostro 1510 laptop goes to a completely blank black screen when I start it. I tried pushing F8 at startup and it just stayed in hibernation. I have also removed and replaced my battery, memory and hard drive. I tried again a few hours later and finally got an error message that my "computer can't come out of hibernation". A few tries after this I finally got it to run diagnostics, then to safe mode. I tried doing a system restore and it kept shutting down right before it was finished. I finally put in my reinstallation cd and restarted from safe mode and somehow this got me back into my regular windows.

Now it has reverted back to doing the same thing and I can't get it out of hibernation again. I have had some issues over the last couple of weeks where it has gone to safe mode when I turned it on and there is an error message  about the video driver. I ended up having to do a System Restore each time this happened and I don't know if this issue has anything to do with the current problem. I have Windows Vista and I read that if this happens it could mean I need to reinstall Windows but I don't know how to do that if I can't get off of the black screen. Is this correct or is there some other action I can take? Also I think this all began after my computer automatically installed updates that included a NVIDIA driver update.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
7- Gold

Re: Vostro 1510 stuck in hibernation HELP!

Hi, rachgohogs:

Your laptop comes with a utility that can restore the Dell factory image. Sounds to me that's what you ought to do. The procedure is described here. This involves booting to your Vista disc, so you will not have an issue with the system being stuck in hibernation.

0 Kudos