Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 10th, 2017 12:00

Where to post Dimension?

I'm planning an upgrade for one of my Dell desk tops(Dimension E521). I would like to post my plan of action for critique and guidance.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.     

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

October 10th, 2017 15:00

furpockets,

There is not a specific Dimension board. All Dimension post are now moved into the Inspiron Desktops board.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

October 11th, 2017 11:00

Greetings, RockStar Rick! My name is Dan and by upgrade I plan to bump my Dell Dimension 521: Currently factory equipped with an AMD Athlon 64x2 Dual Core 3600+ 190 GHz, with 100 GB RAM and a 32 bit Vista OS.

I know, a very old machine, but one which has given me no problems over the years.

All important docs, photos and so have been transferred to flash drives.

I want to install 400 RAM with 64 bit Windows 10.

I have purchased 4 new 100 GB RAM bars compatible with my machine; a copy of Windows 10-64 bit, and a reinstall disk for same.

I also have at hand all the original Dell drivers and utilities disks, as well as driver disks for my printer, camera and so on.

My plan is to unplug the tower, replace the old RAM bar with the four new ones, then install Windows 10.

Here is where I have two questions:

Am I correct installing the RAM first, then the OS?

And although the Windows 10 install instructions state all old OS data will be wiped upon installation, I was wondering if performing a Return To Factory Settings restore as well would be good to get rid of any pests that may be lurking somewhere in there.   

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

October 12th, 2017 14:00

furpockets2,

I would run the tool at Crucial to make sure your system can utilize the RAM. Then install the correct amount of RAM.

I would install Windows 10 and have it remove the old operating system. If memory serves me correctly, you can save files and folders from the previous installation.

Rick

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

October 12th, 2017 19:00

Hi Rick.

Yes, I did run the Crucial test and found out 400 would be the max RAM this machine will take.  I also watched a few youtube videos to see just how RAM sticks are installed.  

I really appreciate the help I'm finding on this site.  I like doing things myself rather than calling in a repair person.  You learn  that way and save some money to boot.  My one problem is, other than not knowing much about computers, I tend to become over cautious when attempting something I've never done before.

A little guidance from people who know their stuff can be a big help.

Thank you, Rick! 

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

October 14th, 2017 15:00

Hi Rick, all went well. 

Installing the four RAM stick was a snap, well eight snaps actually.

Windows 10 did do a nice of cleaning out the old OS, and after a down load of updates that lasted longer than my last pair of sneakers, I'm now up and running.

Thanks for all the help.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

October 17th, 2017 14:00

furpockets2,

Glad you got everything working! Thanks for posting back. If you need anymore assistance, feel free to ask.

Take care,

Rick

No Events found!