Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 30th, 2010 09:00

Windows could not load the installer for mouse and keyboard

A few weeks ago, I moved my pc and to disconnected all of the cables.  I did not pay attention to which ports the USB devices were connected to.  Ever since then, whenever I start my computer, when the desktop is displayed, I get the following series of screens:

1.  Windows could not load the installer for the mouse.  I click on OK. 

2.  I then get the Found New Hardware Wizard.  I tell it to install the software automatically.    After searching, the wizard tells me it can not install the hardware because it can not find the software. 

3.  After that, the same thing happens for the keyboard.

I've tried connecting a Dell wired USB mouse, but the pc can not load the installer for it.

Even though I'm getting the messages, the mouse and keyboard are working fine.

PC: Dell Dimension DM051, running Windows XP, Media Center Edition 2002, svc pk 3. 

Keyboard: Dell wired USB keyboard that came with the pc.

Mouse: Logitech wireless USB.

The device manager identifies the devices correctly under the Human Interface Devices. However, The Keyboard and Mice and other point devices list each as Unknown device.

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

January 30th, 2010 12:00

Hi, thompsonkc:

DM051 is not your model, but it makes no difference. This is a driver problem. Try installing the Logitech drivers that came with your mouse and keyboard.

8 Posts

January 30th, 2010 15:00

Thank you for the reply, Osprey4.  The pc model is a Dell Dimension E510.  As far as reloading the drivers for the Logitech wireless mouse and Dell keyboard, I have tried to reload the drivers, several times, with no success.   The Found New Hardware Wizard gives me an error message "Cannot install this hardware".  I get this message, regardless if I tell it to load it from the cd that came with the mouse, or if I use the option to install the software automatically.

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

January 30th, 2010 17:00

Ok, I found something else to try.

1. Search for a file named SFCFILES.DLL in the C:\windows\system32 folder and rename it to SFCFILES.BAK.

2. Download SFCFILES.DLL from this site.

3. Copy the downloaded SFCFILES.DLL to your C:\Windows\system32 folder.

4. Reboot.

Let me know if that works.

8 Posts

January 31st, 2010 04:00

Could you please specify the site?

8 Posts

January 31st, 2010 05:00

I downloaded the dll  and replaced.  I've rebooted and I get the same series of screens about mouse and keyboard.

8 Posts

Let's look from a different angle....If I connect a Dell usb wired mouse to a different usb port, I get the same series of screens, so I'm thinking that the issue is not unique to the logitech mouse, but resides else where.

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

I'm short on ideas here. Can you uninstall the Logitech drivers in add/remove?

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

Here.

Sorry.

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

January 31st, 2010 06:00

You're correct. The solution I posted above was said to have worked. The alternative solution presented was to reinstall the OS, but that seems a bit extreme. Why don't you try the desktop general hardware forum?

Sorry I wasn't able to help you work this out.

8 Posts

January 31st, 2010 06:00

Thank you for the ideas.  I'll try the next forum.

1 Message

November 18th, 2011 19:00

I have a  desk top dell d051

My wireless mouse  quit operating one evening. I changed the battery like I did many times.

the mouse then disappeared completely. My next step was to restart the computer, still no mouse activity but the curser was there

next I tried a restore and still no mouse movement

no matter what I tried, I had no mouse.

I thought if I reformat the drive and reinstall windows that will fix it.  ahh still no mouse and now no keyboard

What I found out that wireless keyboard and mouse do no reinstall with the boot disk.

after three weeks I discovered that I needed to use an old fation hard wire keyboard. this worked fine.

But I could not get the mouse to operate even though  my device said the mouse was fine.

Next day I purchased a wireless mobile mouse modlel 3500  from Office Max. I comes with a small module device with a USB plug

it is about 1/8 inch thick by maybe 3/4 in long just a usb plug with it "s own software inside just install the battery that comes with itand plug in 

the Usb module and you are ready to go.

Hope this helps. I haven"t  even unplugged the old stuff  yet

Ron R

No Events found!