Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 25th, 2008 17:00

XPS1730 Software/Driver Update issues (running XP)...

Hi guys, I'm new to the Dell Community - I more than likely wouldn't have joined if my machine hadn't had any problems...

I updated all the drivers etc from the Dell Support Website on the weekend and since then my laptop takes 20-30 minutes to shut down or reboot.  Last night McAffee tried to update and then failed and told me that I had to reinstall it.

I play Warhammer Online and prior to updating it worked fine and had no issues, but since I updated, it has been crashing and I've been getting Windows Virtual Memory shortage messages (there's HEAPS of HD space) when it is set for Windows to manage the settings.
I've noticed that when Warhammer crashes or I exit it, the page file doesn't release - it stays at around 4GB and doesn't clear.  As a result I have to reboot to restart the app.  Which brings me back to waiting 20-30 minutes for the reboot.

I would just like to say that my machine had worked flawlessly until I updated everything and I was happy with Dell's product up until that point too.  Is there anyway to roll-back the latest updates without having to reinstall EVERYTHING and then spend a couple of weeks just downloading updates/patches for all the software???

Also - what is the point in updating to the latest drivers/software if it doesn't work?  Not only doesn't work but shafts your computer's performance.  Surely someone had to have tested all this before it was placed online for download????

Lastly, employ more staff for your support line, because being on hold for an hour or more is just NOT acceptable!!!

Can someone please help?

Thanks in advance!

magool.

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

November 26th, 2008 04:00

Hi, Magool:

My first suggestion would be to use PC Restore to take your system back before the driver changes. Then you can install one at a time, checking system performance after each change.

4.6K Posts

November 27th, 2008 15:00

Yup... given the problems you're having, your best bet is to 'Restore' your laptop to its factory settings.

Refer to page 143 of the Owners Manual you received (you can also view it here) for instructions on how to do it.

But before you update drivers next time Magool, at least create a System Restore point first - if not do a ful backup :emotion-55:

No Events found!