dmburg
1 Copper

dell 946 printer

Hello, I have a dell 946 printer that I have unplugged, disconected, uninstalled, re-installed and everything else I could think of to do to get it to work; however, it still doesn't work properly. Although the ink cartridges are new and it looks to be installed correctly it only prints the color portion of the pages I want printed. Maybe someone can assist me with this issue. Thanks.

0 Kudos
13 Replies

Re: dell 946 printer

Let's check to see that the printer is installed correctly. Then see what your printing results are.

Disconnect your printer. Download and run this patch to completely remove the printer from your computer.

Restart your computer.

Download the proper drivers.

XP Drivers

Vista 32-bit Drivers

All other drivers

Install the proper drivers. You'll be prompted when to connect your printer(powered on)

Scanning

Scanning using USB connection, open the Dell All-In-One Center, click on scanning and copying and scan from there.

Scanning wirelessly, use the scan buttons on the printer.

#DellRockstar

What is a Dell Service Tag and how do I locate it? 

Original poster, If you have solved your problem, can you please mark the correct thread(s) with your solution. Thanks 

Welcome to Dell Community!

#DellWorld 2012

#DellWorld 2015

#DellEMCWorld 2016

#MicrosoftMVP - Windows Expert-Consumer April 1, 2012 to March 31, 2015

0 Kudos
explorer09
1 Nickel

Hi there, I have the same problem as this poster has and I have done all that you suggested in your post....still no black printing shows up!  I had Vista installed before and went back to XP pro and this problem just started when I put XP back on. Very frustrating!   Any more ideas?

Thanks for your time......Gary      

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Gary,

After you went back to XP Pro, did you remember to go to drivers and downloads, enter your service tag(DO NOT POST SERVICE TAG here or your post will get deleted, since it contains your personal information), and install these drivers in this order.

Desktop System Software or Notebook System Software
Chipset or SMBus driver
Processor Driver (if applicable)
Video
Audio (sound)
Input Drivers (keyboard/mouse)
Modem
Network Card

Get all your windows updates, especially net framework and the latest Java.

Disconnect your printer. Download and run this patch to completely remove the printer from your computer.

Restart your computer.

Download the proper drivers.

XP Drivers

Vista 32-bit Drivers

All other drivers

Go to device manager(right click my computer, left click properties, left click hardware, left click device manager)

Go to the USB Controller section and click the + sign.

Starting at the bottom, USB Root Hubs, and working your way to the top, USB Universal Controllers, un-install everything in that section.

Restart your computer. Windows will find everything again and correct the problem one. Please be patient. The new hardware wizard may work 3-5 minutes before it's done.

Install the proper drivers. You'll be prompted when to connect your printer(powered on)

Scanning

Scanning using USB connection, open the Dell All-In-One Center, click on scanning and copying and scan from there.

Scanning wirelessly, use the scan buttons on the printer.

Rick

#DellRockstar

Original poster, If you have solved your problem, can you please mark the correct thread(s) with your solution. Thanks 

#DellWorld 2012

#DellWorld 2015

#DellEMCWorld 2016

0 Kudos
explorer09
1 Nickel

I'll go over your suggestions Rick, and see if I can get this worked out.  Thanks for taking the time ...Have a good Christmas! I'll let you know how if it works out.

~Gary

0 Kudos
explorer09
1 Nickel

Well Rick....I did all that you suggested...to the letter.... and still no  Black shows up on my printed pages...just colors show up. Not sure where to go from here, but it's a frustrating process thus far  

thanks... Gary

0 Kudos

Gary,

You said these are New DELL Series 5 ink cartridges, correct. It's possible to get a bad ink cartridge. I would take the Black Dell Series 5 ink cartridge back to the place of purchase for a replacement or a refund. Dell Series 5 ink cartridges have a sensor in them that cannot be reset. Article on refilling Dell ink cartridges

Dell Series 5 ink cartridges can be purchased at Staples, Walmart or Dell's Website.

I have a printer that uses Dell Series 5 ink cartridges and haven't had any problem with mine, but I usually order them from Dell's website and they take about 3 business days to get here.

Rick

#DellRockstar

#DellWorld 2012

#DellWorld 2015

#DellEMCWorld 2016

0 Kudos
explorer09
1 Nickel

Yes Rick they are series 5. They both worked before on Vista, but after all I have done now to attempt to remedy, this seems like the only practical thing left to try, so I will try to get a replacement black and try that......thanks! Gary 

0 Kudos

Gary,

What happens when you try to copy a document on the printer using the glass, without using the computer?

Is Black there when you copy something?

Rick

#DellRockstar

#DellWorld 2012

#DellWorld 2015

#DellEMCWorld 2016

0 Kudos
explorer09
1 Nickel

Rick,    Upon scanning a back and white text page........ and printing it out.. the page is completely blank. I still haven't gotten around to change out the B&W cartridge yet

thanks Gary

0 Kudos