Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 25th, 2011 21:00

drivers and downloads

i download ''Dell Utility in the System Utilities'' also download all recommended file in ''Chipset, Video Adapter and NInterface Card categories.

now my laptop starts up much slower and dosen't seem to perform as well as it did prior to downloading on ''Driver and Downloads page.'

i'm not sure if i did this correctly or not.

is it possible to start over?

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

May 26th, 2011 03:00

therayman,

Start with the desktop/notebook system utility and the chipset drivers. Then install the rest of the drivers in order. How to Download and Install Drivers in the Correct Order Everything should start working.

Rick

19 Posts

May 26th, 2011 07:00

Hey Rick,

I appreciate your help with my issue yesterday and I know you are not a Dell employee, which makes your efforts all the more commendable.   I'm wondering if you know why information like this 'order to install' list is not   displayed on the D&D page?  Even better, list the items it detects for you to download in the order they recommend?

Yesterday, not having seen this, I muddled through trying to install the Recommended files only to find myself frustrated - even after you got me past the worthless Download Manager issue. I had one problem after another:

• I installed the Bios, and yet it still shows up as something I need to download and install.
  • I downloaded the Support Center software it recommended and later in the day a pop up window for the software said version 2.0 is no longer supported.  Apparently Dell had already installed a newer version on my computer, and so then I had to uninstall the old one, but now the icon for my new version doesn't show up. I have to start PC Checkup and then click on the Support Center home icon to get to it.  Arrgghh!
  • I installed the file it said I needed for my wireless card - which I thought was great because I'd been getting errors about that and wondered why it didn't just automatically do that.  It got almost through the whole install, then stopped and gave me a meaningless alphanumeric error number and quit.  I was so glad my wireless at least still worked, I decided to stop trying to use the page to install new files.

Now today I see this - and realize I'm lucky I didn't end up with more damage.  Seems like a shame.  Ideally my Dell would download the recommended files automatically, like Windows does.  But at least make it more fool proof for fools like me who have to try and do it on their own.

Thank you for your help on this forum. It's obvious you are kept busy.

8 Posts

May 26th, 2011 13:00

so i can just start over without having to delete or uninstall anything?

thanx for replying Rick

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

May 26th, 2011 15:00

SallyC54,

Going to High School Graduation to see daughter graduate, tonight.

Try using system restore and go back to before you uninstalled Dell Support Center. You may have to install a few drivers, again. Dell Support Center 2.0 is no longer supported and was repalced with a newer version.

After the system restore, if you get any errors, the exact error will be helpful.

Rick

19 Posts

May 27th, 2011 08:00

Congratulations to your daughter, Rick.  Another milestone passed - both for the child and the parent.  Well done!

As the day went on, it became apparent that I too was having problems after having installed updates. Prior to that the only problem i had was an intermittent error about my wireless card.  I only started downloading update files because it seemed like a good idea.  But after all the troubles, and then a machine that seemed to run slower I started to wonder.  My last straw was that the software that automatically backs up files to a Western Digital server kept crashing.  So last night I did the system restore.  The bios is still the newer 09 but I think everything else is back to it's prior versions. I don't have any icons for the 2.0 version of the Dell Support Center, and I have the ones for the newer version, so that's all good.

Hopefully things will run as before I decided I should update things.  I think I'll stay clear of the D&D page for now and hope that if there's something I really need Windows update or Dell's update will auto install it for me.  Apparently I cause more problems than I fix when I venture into manual updates. (Although I do think that page should be redone to make it more user friendly.)

Thanks for your help, Rick. 

2.3K Posts

May 27th, 2011 22:00

sallyc54, why don`t you go to Dell IdeaStorm and post your idea about redoing the page to be more user friendly. IdeaStorm is for ideas that people want to see implemented by Dell.

http://www.ideastorm.com/

Teddi

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

May 28th, 2011 03:00

SallyC54,

Have you tried scanning for Malware? Malwarebytes Anti-Malware update and do a quick scan. Remove anything it finds and report back if it finds anything.

Also try...

Windows startup programs. What are they? Are they required? How can I disable them?

Rick

19 Posts

May 28th, 2011 07:00

Teddi,

I was not aware of the site and have done as you suggested.  We can only hope....

thanks,

Sally

19 Posts

May 28th, 2011 07:00

Rick,

I do have a Malware program that runs all the time - part of Microsoft Security Essentials. I don't think that's my problem.  Plus, I wasn't having a problem before i installed the "updates" and now that I've restored my system to it's pre-update self, my computer is running fine, including the backup software.

I hadn't seen the Windows Startup programs link before.  I will definitely check it out.  I'm always curious to learn more - thanks!

Sally

No Events found!