Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

M

September 4th, 2009 16:00

hello world and a few questions

Hi evribode

Hi ! glad to meet all of you's

i am a happy dell user (pro and private use) with a laptop (antique X300, extra tuned) and two optiplex

gx 260 custom'd  too (i heard some laughters) running under debian sid "sidux" kde 4.2 and kde 3.5.10

questions :

i look for a recent laptop oled screen, robust,  sold with no microsoft software nor s.e.

i only intend to use my personal selection of software running under my personal choice of linux,

for both pro's and private destinations.  Do anybody know about how to deal with Dell for this kind

of matter ? I sent a msg to commercials but............. feel very conscious of unusualness of it

Thanks for helping. I'd be glad to answer questions.

Yul Montcou

2.6K Posts

September 4th, 2009 17:00

There are a few models available in the US with either FreeDos or Ubuntu (for example THESE models), but since I'm not a Linux user, the Linux forum here would probably be a better place to ask.  If by chance you're not in the US,  you might want to say what country you're in - the options do vary from country to country:

http://en.community.dell.com/forums/3525.aspx

5 Posts

September 6th, 2009 04:00

Thanks Alexandra_P for replying

i live in france

i did not found much on the linux forum

in fact i'd better check if paying for microsoft S.E.

would not be the cheapest way ... Of course, if i pay for something i don't use

is not fair but how to get rid of that ??????????????

cheeze !

2.6K Posts

September 6th, 2009 10:00

Sorry the Linux forum couldn't help you out.

If Dell France can't give you what you want,  I know there are several smaller companies in the US that sell open-source PCs (like THIS one).   There must be similar companies in Europe.    But I don't know if they'd truly be cheaper or not.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

September 6th, 2009 10:00

Dell doesn't sell any notebooks with OLED screens - for that matter, I don't think anyone is shipping OLED notebooks at all, though a few have demo'd them (Samsung, ASUS) and Apple is rumored to be releasing one sometime in the near future.

No Events found!