Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 13th, 2008 14:00

help missing drivers for Dell Inspiron 8600

I am giving my old Dell Inspiron 8600 to a friend so I wiped the hard drive and reinstalled windows XP...I have a utilities and drivers disc and the OS reinstallation CD so I thought I was good to go...nope...now under device manager I have the following missing items

Ethernet Controller

Multimedia Audio controller

Network controller

PCI Modem

Universal Serial Bus (USB) Controller

Video Controller (VGA) compatible

They all have nice big yellow question marks after them...I have downloaded and extracted all the drivers from the CD that had 8600 in them and still no go......without these items I obviously can't get on the Internet.....I have already tried deleting the yellow question marks...restarting and having find new hardware look for me....they are missing in action....I need a step by step explanation on how to do this....going online is not an option as these missing components prevent that...also I know these are just generic descriptions of said components so I need the name of them to find the drivers....

Luckily I have another laptop that I am writing this on...is it possible to burn these drivers to a cd/dvd....I know they usually come in zip format how do I deal with that....I am not a novice but I am not a computer genius either so I really need help ....please..please...pleas...  Thanks in advance

llabine1

1 Message

November 13th, 2008 15:00

hey i got the exact same problem but mine is a dell inspiron 9100
so if you managed to sort it out then please share your answer to yours and my problem, because i cant get on internet at all without those drivers.
Thank you Jakey1983 [:'(] :emotion-20:

5 Posts

November 13th, 2008 18:00

Will do Jakey...I promise if the answer comes my way....I have tried everything...I tried to search for the answer somewhere else online and all I found was many people with our problem but no solution....

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

November 13th, 2008 18:00

You guys should be able to plug in the ethernet cable and go to drivers and downloads, enter your service tag number(DO NOT POST IT HERE or post will be removed) and download and install these drivers in this order.

Desktop System Software or Notebook System Software
Chipset or SMBus driver
Processor Driver (if applicable)
Video
Audio (sound)
Input Drivers (keyboard/mouse)
Modem
Network Card

If you cannot get online, then download them to another computer and either burn them to a disk or put on a flash drive.

Rick

1 Message

November 18th, 2008 07:00

Hi everyone,

Well I wish you were right but I have all of the exact same problems.

Same little question marks and I consider myself pretty savy when it comes to this sort of thing.

I have tried everything. I am on  my second laptop, since I cannot even plug in on ethernet. All my WLAN and ethernet hardware is missing and have tried all the logical F2 and BIOS and ADMIN and SafeMode startups to repair.

I have downloaded the stuff onto flashdrives and tried to install and received a different error message when it was trying to reinstall from the flash drive and that was just the WLAN Utility Card. Managed to get the Dell Wireless Ultility Card back but when I try to get computer to connect to wireless it tell me I have no hardware on the computer.

Obviously, I have no ethernet connection even if I plug into cable modem it does not even recognize that I am plugged in. Or straight into school cable eithernet, even stronger than home.

Not even a little meesage telling me you are not plugged in.

I have been working on this for days, until my eyes are blurry all day for hours with two laptops up at work and then for hours everynight tyring to find solutions online from every imaginable site.

I have an inpiron B130 Windows XP Home edition

I just reinstalled from DIsk because of  malware called XP antivirus 2008 that I could n't get rid of and then when thing when completley wacky with the Mcafee I had to do a reinstall.

So there you have it!

Any ideas.

VAstarr

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

November 18th, 2008 09:00

I usually do a repair first.

Insert the Operating system disk and restart the computer.

Press any key to boot from the CD.

Choose install.

Do the agreement.

Choose repair.

When it done, follow the instructions below.

Remember to go to drivers and downloads, enter your service tag(DO NOT POST SERVICE TAG here or your post will get deleted, since it contains your personal information), and install these drivers in this order.

Desktop System Software or Notebook System Software
Chipset or SMBus driver
Video
Audio (sound)
Modem
Network Card

12 Posts

October 22nd, 2010 15:00

I have the same problem-I had to reinstall XP pro on an Inspi 8600 and cannot get on internet since I need drivers for ethernet or truemobile WLAN.  I CAN find these on the Dell driver site with this Studio desktop but I cannot just download them to a flashdrive-it wants to extract them to the Studio computer. I just want to save them to a file-not install them to the Studio. Thanks

12 Posts

October 22nd, 2010 21:00

I have the same problem but my ethernet won't work-need drivers for it I guess and they were not on my XP Pro disc so I cannot hook up the Inspi 8600 to the internet - am having a problem finding the correct drivers from this computer so I can download them to a flash drive and transfer them to the Inspi.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

October 24th, 2010 12:00

rletter,

Try reading...

How to by-pass the Dell Download Manager

When you installed the operating system, did you install the desktop/notebook utility and the chipset drivers first? If not, the rest of the drivers will fail to install. How to Install Drivers in Microsoft® Windows® on Dell Systems

Rick

12 Posts

October 24th, 2010 15:00

No,I did not.

There were no drivers on the WinXP Pro CD and Dell did not include a drivers disc.  I do need some help.

Looking at the Device manager, all devices report OK  EXCEPT- Ethernet controller, Mulimedia Audio controller, PCI Modem,Video
Controller  (VGA compatible).. -all have the yellow ?.

Under network adapters, all show the devices to be working-1394 Net Adapter, Bluetooth (PAN), Bluetooth (RFCOMM Protocall TDI).-all OK.

I have a Dell TrueMoble WLAN card installed but can't get it to work either-I don't see it listed or it is listed under some other device.

If I know what drivers and loacatin on the Dell driver site, I could download them to this Studio desk top computer and transfer via flash drive since I have no communcations on the Inspi. I do have a ethernet cable which I can plug direrctly into a port on routher if I cannot get the wireless internet connection to work.

Thanks

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

October 24th, 2010 15:00

rletter,

First read...

How to by-pass the Dell Download Manager

The Desktop/Notebook Utility needs to be installed first(if applicable), then the chipset drivers. If they are NOT installed first, then the rest of the drivers will fail to install.

Since the operating system was re-installed did you remember to go to drivers and downloads, enter your service tag(DO NOT POST SERVICE TAG here or your post will get deleted, since it contains your personal information), and install these drivers in this order.

:emotion-55: Hint :emotion-55: When downloading the drivers, make a folder for each drivers and name it with the device it belongs with to make it easier to install them in the proper order.

Desktop System Software or Notebook System Software(if applicable)
Chipset or SMBus driver
Video
Audio (sound)
Modem
Network Card

QuickSet(Laptop only)

Rick

17 Posts

November 7th, 2010 13:00

Hi;

As I read your post I am wondering if you have checked the physical connections tho your PCI card. The one with 2 wires connected to it.One is white the other is black. They plug on to the PCI card.

I had a similar problem with my Inspiron 9100. I discovered that one of the 2 wires connected to the pci card was disconnected. And that the terminal to connect it

was missing from the card. I purchased a new card and installed it. This fixed my problem with the internet connection. Don't know if this will help.

Ican2k

No,I did not.

There were no drivers on the WinXP Pro CD and Dell did not include a drivers disc.  I do need some help.

Looking at the Device manager, all devices report OK  EXCEPT- Ethernet controller, Mulimedia Audio controller, PCI Modem,Video
Controller  (VGA compatible).. -all have the yellow ?.

Under network adapters, all show the devices to be working-1394 Net Adapter, Bluetooth (PAN), Bluetooth (RFCOMM Protocall TDI).-all OK.

I have a Dell TrueMoble WLAN card installed but can't get it to work either-I don't see it listed or it is listed under some other device.

If I know what drivers and loacatin on the Dell driver site, I could download them to this Studio desk top computer and transfer via flash drive since I have no communcations on the Inspi. I do have a ethernet cable which I can plug direrctly into a port on routher if I cannot get the wireless internet connection to work.

Thanks

1 Message

March 1st, 2012 18:00

I am giving my old Dell Inspiron 8600 to a friend so I wiped the hard drive and reinstalled windows XP...I have a utilities and drivers disc and the OS reinstallation CD so I thought I was good to go...nope...now under device manager I have the following missing items

Ethernet Controller

Multimedia Audio controller

Network controller

PCI Modem

Universal Serial Bus (USB) Controller

Video Controller (VGA) compatible

They all have nice big yellow question marks after them...I have downloaded and extracted all the drivers from the CD that had 8600 in them and still no go......without these items I obviously can't get on the Internet.....I have already tried deleting the yellow question marks...restarting and having find new hardware look for me....they are missing in action....I need a step by step explanation on how to do this....going online is not an option as these missing components prevent that...also I know these are just generic descriptions of said components so I need the name of them to find the drivers....

Luckily I have another laptop that I am writing this on...is it possible to burn these drivers to a cd/dvd....I know they usually come in zip format how do I deal with that....I am not a novice but I am not a computer genius either so I really need help ....please..please...pleas...  Thanks in advance

llabine1

No Events found!