Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 12th, 2010 03:00

lojack for laptop

I had recently replaced my new laptop HDD  and lost the application  of lojack , the program came preinstalled i had purchased it with my new laptop, the new HDD sent to me by dell did not have this application how can i download a replacement application .thanks

4.6K Posts

February 12th, 2010 04:00

Welcome to the forums :emotion-21:

Did you register the product, or was it already pre-registered (by Dell) in your name?

I ask, because I don't think it can be downloaded again - from anywhere on the Dell website at least?

If you at least still have the registration details for it, you may (/*may*) be able to download the latest version direct from the Absolute Software website?

But I'm very surprised you didn't get such important software on its own disc, among the others you [should've] received with the laptop :emotion-3: :emotion-40:

'Backup'/replacement discs can normally be requested, but if it wasn't originally supplied on disc, you'll need to contact Dell tech support, to see what they can advise?

39 Posts

February 12th, 2010 04:00

Lojack is not stored on the hard drive.  If it was than a theif could easily erase the operating system and than lojack would be erased which makes Lojack a pointess program.
Right here it actually says the software is embedded in the BIOS.
http://www.absolute.com/products/lojackforlaptops/technology

In short, replacing the hard drive has no effect at all on Lojack.   It is still there.

29 Posts

February 12th, 2010 07:00

You should have received a disk with your computer.  If you did you have the registration number.  Dell just replaced my defective computer and LoJack was not on it.  I had registered Lo Jack when I received my old computer.  I called them and we were able to download the program to my computer since I still had over a year left on the contract.  Call them.  The phone number is on their website.  They were very helpful.

No Events found!