Highlighted
mc_montana
6 Indium

new to dell community, in need of some pointers

Jump to solution

I am new here, I just joined today after being online with tech support. I have been trying to post in the support forum, and can't find a way to do that, I don't have the link to start a new thread like on this page. Is there a reason for that, or am I missing how to get in and post somehow?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
8 Krypton

RE: new to dell community, in need of some pointers

Jump to solution

squeen123

It would be best to start a new thread, using the New Post feature on the top right of this page.

This thread is 6-+ years old and has been locked, due to it's age.

Bev.

If my answer was helpful, please click: Kudos
Forum Member since 2001
I am not employed by Dell

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Trickie
6 Indium

Re: new to dell community, in need of some pointers

Jump to solution

Hey mc_montana...I have the same problem.  Can some experienced member please help.

0 Kudos
pogikosobra
6 Indium

Jump to solution

Ever since dell revamped the dell forums format, it seems it created a lot of confusion for all of us. It was so easy before to post comments or reply to a thread. I really want the old format back. What do you think guys?

0 Kudos
Trickie
6 Indium

Jump to solution

Hi - just managed to post.  Selected the forum I wanted to post to (in my case Laptop) then the sub-category in that forum, and presto - the start new thread link appeared.  Good luck!

0 Kudos
8 Krypton

Jump to solution

I have been trying to post in the support forum, and can't find a way to do that, I don't have the link to start a new thread like on this page.

I agree completely, that the new forum layout takes a lot of getting used to - and even after you do get used to it, it's still a love-hate relationship (I personally don't like it very much), but let's try this example, to see if it helps any of you find your way around a bit easier:

Let's say you wanted to start a new thread on the forums regarding a problem you're having with (i.e.) the hard drive in your laptop.

There are actually two forum options you could post in - 'Laptop' or 'Disk Drives (HDD, CD/DVD, Blu-Ray)' - each/either of which would be acceptable.

But if a problem relates to a laptop, specifically... I'd personally opt to post it in the 'Laptop' section.

To get to where we want... look in the menu at the top left side of the main forums page.

Under the 'Tech Support' heading, is the 'Laptop' link.  Click on that, and a new page will open.

In the top left menu again, are three laptop sub-sections:  'Audio', 'General Hardware', and 'Video'.  

Our hard drive problem is obviously neither audio or video, so we'd click on the General Hardware link.

Look in the top right of the new page which opens, and... directly to the left of where it says 'Users Online' (in bold), you'll see the option to 'Start a New Thread' emoticon.Idea.title

If your problem was with a desktop system, then you'd either click on the 'Desktop' link on the forums front page, or select one of the specific headings listed under the 'Tech Support' - i.e. 'Peripherals' (i.e. keyboard, mouse, speakers etc), 'Software & Operating Systems', Virus & Spyware', or whichever is appropriate to the problem you're having.

If you click on 'Desktop', you'll see the same three sub-sections, and you'd follow the exact same procedure to start a new thread.

If you click on one of the specific topics (i.e. Peripherals), you'll see various sub-section categories - depending on which topic you click on.

Select the most appropriate one, and again look in the top right for the 'Start New Thread' link.

HTH emoticon.Wink.title

From experience, I've found that:   “Beauty is in the eye of the beer-holder”!!

XPS M1730:

Smoke Grey Magnesium Alloy Chassis - with White LED Backlights
17" UltraSharp WUXGA Widescreen TFT (1920 x 1200) with TrueLife
Intel Core 2 Duo Processor T9300 @ 2.50GHz (800 MHz FSB, 4MB L2 cache)
4GB (2x 2GB) Patriot Signature PC2-5400 @ 667MHz
DUAL 512MB Nvidia 8800M GTX cards in SLi + 128MB Ageia PhysX
640GB SATA II (2x 320GB WD Scorpio Black 7200rpm)
8x Super-Multi DVD±RW
Creative X-Fi Notebook (ExpressCard) + Creative GigaWorks T40 Series II
Integrated 2MP Webcam
Dell Wireless 355 Bluetooth 2.0 Module
Intel Next-Gen Wireless-N Mini-Card
TV Tuner and Dell Travel Remote Control
4-in-1 Flash Card Reader (SSD/MMC/MS Pro/xD)

230W AC Adapter / 9-cell Lithium-Ion Battery

Windows 7 Home Premium (64bit)

0 Kudos
squeen123
1 Copper

Jump to solution
I am trying to figure this out also MC.
0 Kudos
8 Krypton

Jump to solution

squeen123

It would be best to start a new thread, using the New Post feature on the top right of this page.

This thread is 6-+ years old and has been locked, due to it's age.

Bev.

If my answer was helpful, please click: Kudos
Forum Member since 2001
I am not employed by Dell

0 Kudos