Highlighted
Peter Miami
Copper

Buying from Dell Outlet Scratch and Dent?

Hi Everyone,

Would like to ask in the community about your experience in buying a laptop from Dell Outlet. I have bought laptops and other products from Dell before without any problem, but never from Dell Outlet. Your experiences will be very helpful.  It is a scratch and dent buy (I have always bought brand new products).

I am buying a Dell;

Studio XPS 16 (1640) Laptop: Intel Core 2 Duo P8700 (3MB cache/2.53GHz/1066Mhz FSB) w/2.0MP Integrated Webcam.

15.6 inch Edge-to-Edge HD+ Widescreen WLED LCD (1600x900)

500 GB SATA Hard Drive (7200RPM) with Free Fall Sensor

4 GB DDR3 SDRAM 1066MHz (2 DIMMs)

512MB ATI Mobility RADEON HD 3670

Intel WiFi Link 5300 802.11a/g/n Draft Mini Card

Thank you,

Peter

0 Kudos
20 Replies
fireberd
Diamond

Re: Buying from Dell Outlet Scratch and Dent?

The outlet models vary, some are just returns that a customer didn't like, some are refurbished and some are even new cancelled order models.  You have to look at the full description and what comes with it, sometimes what comes with it is not everything that a full new model has and the full model may be similarly priced.  Sometimes, a new same model or equivalent model will be cheaper than the outlet depending on current sale items.

I am not a Dell Employee

Dell forum member since 2002

Dell Inspiron 15 - 5577 Laptop

Home Built Desktop PC with ASUS Z170, i7 6700K CPU

Windows 10 64 bit Pro and Windows 10 Insider Program Beta Versions. SSD drives.  Studio One 3 Recordng Studio Software.

Dell SE2717HR 27" Monitor

Member of Nashville based R.O.P.E.

0 Kudos
Peter Miami
Copper

Hi Firebird,

Thank you very much for the information.

Peter

0 Kudos
Peter Miami
Copper

Does anyone else have a buying experience from Dell Outlet with a Certified Refurbished, Previously Ordered New and/or Scratch and Dent? Would appreciate your feedback.

Thank you,

Peter

0 Kudos
mpo
Gold

I have purchased three computers over the years from the outlet.

The first, Dimension 4700 box, looked brand new.

The second, XPS M1530 laptop, had a little residue (food?, cigarette ash?) on one of the speaker grills and one sticker on the bottom was missing. A Q-tip and a 30 seconds of elbow grease and the computer looked new.

The third, XPS 420, had some fingerprints on the front plate. The front plate is made of shiny black plastic, so fingerprints show. A few wipes with a microfiber cloth and the computer looked new.

I have been happy with all of the systems. They have had no more or less problems than the computers that I have bought new. And I am willing to put up with a few fingerprints (and the time searching the outlet) for 30 to 50 percent savings.

0 Kudos

the outlet can get you some really great deals, just be careful because some of their older models that they have in the outlet turn out to be more expensive then their current models.. mostly that occurs in the XPS lines...

0 Kudos
ChrisNH
Copper

I'm considering the same sort of purchase...a laptop. I'm slowly concluding that a 'scratch' or a 'dent' is going to be nearly imperceptible because of one simple fact: Dell doesn't want you to return it. They want you to be happy with it. Indeed, people on the forums are pretty much validating this. A unit that even shows a hint of being a disappointment to a customer won't even enter the inventory. That's my $0.02 anyway.

0 Kudos
osprey4
Diamond

I or my family members have ordered two systems through the outlet and both were in perfect condition.

0 Kudos
dcgtls
Platinum

I have purchased about a dozen desktops and laptops from the outlet for myself and family and have helped dozens of friends and co-workers with picking out systems from the Outlet. I have not had any trouble with the systems and they all showed up like they were new. The nice thing about the Outlet is that they ship out the next day and carry the same warranty as a new system. I have found several times were it was cheaper to buy a new system due to a sale going on at the time.

When you find the system you want (if it is a currently offered system) open another browser window and configure a new system exactly the same as the one on the Outlet and see if you feel it is worth it. I have gotten systems like my current XPS 730x for less than half of what it was new. Also I think my Inspiron 1720 was about 45% less than a new one.

Alienware Aurora R4: i7-3820, 8GB, 10TB of HDD, AMD/ATI Radeon HD 7800, Samsung 27" monitor

XPS 730x: i7 920,   Replaced with an Alienware Aurora R4

XPS 410: Core 2 Quad 2.4GHz (Q6600) , 6GB, EVGA 8800GTS 640MB,
Single TV Tuner , X-Fi Xtreme Music, Logitec X530 Speakers

Latitude 10 Tablet

Inspiron 1720: T7500, 4GB, 120GBx5400, 120GBx7200, 8600GT, DVD+/-RW, Bluetooth,
Windows 8.1

0 Kudos
RONGILBERT
Copper

I've bought almost exclusively from the Outlet in recent years, and I think I've ordered five laptops in the last months from this source.  But that may be my last.

One of the advantages of the Outlet has been the fact the equipment is advertised as thoroughly inspected and available for quick shipment - "usually within 24 hours."  And that has been my experience until my most recent purchase.  I placed an order online on August 10, fully expected that it would be shipped within a day or be in my hands by the end of the week.  It's now August 19, and still no laptop.  When I asked why there was such a delay for an item that was in stock (and for an item for which there were many identically configured models offer each day at the Outlet, I was advised that it was "in production."  When I asked what kind of production was necessary for an outlet item, this was my response:

"I would like to inform you that even outlet systems are retested and repackaged to meet all original factory specification."

Well, yeah.  I would expect that.  But I would have expected that to be completed before the item was posted at the Outlet as available.  So, I guess that this means when we order now from the outlet, there's really no way of predicting when we might get the item, or whether it will even pass whatever retesting  is used and therefore whether it will ever be available.

So be forewarned - order an outlet item (if this service rep is accurate) may actually result in a much longer delay than ordering from dell.com.  Although Dell clearly states that the item posted in the Outlet have been thoroughly inspected, that must not be the case and you will be subjected to lengthy delays.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos