Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 15th, 2017 02:00

How to get Silica Gel stuck in Headphone Jack out

There's a silica gel stuck inside my headphone jack and it won't come out. I tried carefully scratching the silica to break it but it was too loose so it moved around. Does anyone know what i can do to get it out. 

2.3K Posts

March 15th, 2017 13:00

Hi Kristalp99,

I would take a sewing needle or pin to try to get it out since it`s loose.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

March 15th, 2017 14:00

Sewing needle idea is pretty good ... just make sure machine is completely off. Toothpick is not as thin but is non-conductive. Either way ... be very careful and use a magnifying glass and flashlight.

Using a vacuum cleaner nozzle on it comes to mind.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

March 15th, 2017 18:00

Have you tried pointing the jack down and gently shaking the laptop?

With the lappy off, disconnected from its power brick and the battery removed, you could try a sharp pointy "eyebrow" tweezers.

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

March 15th, 2017 19:00

How about a high-powered vacuum cleaner?

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

March 19th, 2017 11:00

hair dryer pointed at the hole to dry out the gel which shrinks it. if you point it downward while occasionally blowing hot air on it the ball should shrink enough to just fall out.

1 Message

October 27th, 2017 09:00

i'm a little late to the post.

but i had one stuck in my phone. just got it out; so proven!

unfortunately took me about five minutes; basically take an eyeglass screwdriver and scratch at it; i had to do 1/6 of my ball before it finally came out; (in one large piece; and dusty debris); not sure if it varies; but my screwdriver is extremely sharp; I can create a scratch on my hardwood type of sharp.

i've tried the sewing needle, toothpick, safety pin etc; not sharp enough; and flimsy (hard to get a good grip)

No Events found!