Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 28th, 2009 14:00

(Redirected) Latitude E6400 Upper Left Mouse Button Locks the Thumbpad when depressed.

I have discovered a problem with my new Latitude E6400 and Dell Support has decided to ignore the issue. I have found that if you depress the upper left mouse button, it locks the thumbpad so that you can not, for example, drag an icon using the thumbpad. Historically and on other Latitude Laptops this has not been the case. Both lower and upper mouse buttons have functioned exactly the same. Dell Support had no idea this was the case, nor were unaware of this malfunction and when I exposed the fault they attempted to tell me that because the keyboard and centerpointer were now physically designed so that they were not in the same unit with the mouspad that this functionality could not be restored. Frankly, I believe it is a problem with the thumbpad driver and they simply do not want to do the work to fix it. I had gotten used to using my thumbpad by depressing the upper left mouse button with my left hand and dragging with my right hand.

I believe that this is not a physical design problem, because of course the center pointer functions perfectly adequately with both the upper and lower left mouse buttons and they are not physically connected in the design module. Obviously the lower left mouse button had to be programmed through the driver to function in that manner. This is clearly a driver design fault and to date, Dell is not willing to fix it.

2.3K Posts

April 3rd, 2017 11:00

Hi theodore1,

Please repost this in the Customer Care forum for help.

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/customercare/

1 Message

April 7th, 2009 04:00

I bought a Latitude precisely because it had the button configuration I was used to.  How very disappointing to discover the button configuration did not work the same way on the new computer as on the old.  I have the same problem you do with the upper left touchpad button.  Thank you for letting me know I can use the centerpointer when I want to drag. 

1 Message

April 2nd, 2017 19:00

I am unable to drag and drop for the same reason.   I finally am able to drag but am unable to get it to drop.  Any suggestions.

No Events found!