Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 16th, 2009 15:00

Trying to wipe out my system & restore it to factory

I got a new computer.  I decided to restore my old one (dell) to factory settings.  I was told to just put in the Service pack 2 & click on install.  Well it went through the whole thing but when it finished the screen resolution is not right & I can't change any of the settings.  I am not a computer wizard so I don't know what to do.  It won't let me restore.  I tried.  HELP!!!

14.4K Posts

April 16th, 2009 15:00

Sounds like instead of a factory restore you did a complete reinstall. If that is the case you will need to reload your drivers You can find out about the order to reinstall the drives HERE

April 16th, 2009 16:00

That did not help.  My brother told me it is as if it is in sleep/safe mode???? Not sure what that means.

2 Posts

April 16th, 2009 18:00

I encountered the same problem when I reinstalled the operating system over the original one. The desktop had shrunk to half its size! When I tried to change the Settings in the Control Panel only one setting was available for Color Quality. You might have success by rolling back to the original driver. I would recommend this, not sure if it will work for you, but it might help:

Right-click on Desktop, click on Properties.

Click on Settings

Click on Advanced.

Click on Adapter.

Click on Properties.

Click on Driver tab.

Click on Roll Back Driver Button.

That worked for my system. Hope it works for you.

Mrpips

April 16th, 2009 19:00

I don't have a roll back driver button.  when I get to that page it says: 

VGA SAVE

SERVICE NAME: VGA SAVE

DISPLAY NAME: VGA SAVE

CURRENT STATUS: STARTED

START UP TYPE:  SYSTEM

AUTOMATIC

BOOT

DEMAND

DISABLED

14.4K Posts

That means your video driver is not installed and the card is running in basic VGA mode. Did you reinstall your video card driver?

WHICH ONE IS IT???

14.4K Posts

Go HERE enter your service tag choose the orginal configuration tab. This will produce a list of all things that were in your system, which would be nice to know the model, then we can help you get the right one.

April 16th, 2009 20:00

I'M NOT ON THAT COMPUTER BECAUSE THE INTERNET IS NOT SET UP ON IT YET.

2 Posts

April 16th, 2009 20:00

Besides the Service Pack disk you should have one that says Drivers and Utilities. Try inserting that disk in your old computer and see what happens.

4.6K Posts

April 16th, 2009 22:00

I'M NOT ON THAT COMPUTER BECAUSE THE INTERNET IS NOT SET UP ON IT YET.

First of all... please stop typing in CAPITALS!

Secondly...enter your service tag, and download the drivers from the computer you are on :emotion-55:

WHICH ONE IS IT???

How are we supposed to know which specific drivers you need, when you haven't mentioned what model system you have, or what OS you're using????

Finally... show some appreciation for the help Dave has offered you!

Your replies have all been very brief/curt, with no indication that you're even the least bit grateful for the help/advice he's offered :emotion-43:

Frustrated or not, other members are far less likely to offer their help/advice, if you're not going to acknowledge/thank them for that help!

April 17th, 2009 05:00

I'm truly sorry if you found my answers offensive.  I certainly didn't mean for them to come across that way.  I am very new to this.  I have tried all the advice that was given but to no avail.  I really do appreciate any help I recieve.  I just thought that by asking which driver it is someone more expecienced than myself might know right off the bat,  the reason I told you I was not on that computer is I didn't know if that mattered,  As far as the capitals go I didn't realize I had hit caps lock.   Someone told me it was the video driver but when I put in the "Drivers & Utilites" CD it said that was already installed.

14.4K Posts

April 17th, 2009 06:00

angelbeliever

No offense taken. However please edit your post to remove the service tag as this is a violation of the Forum TOS and can get this thread deleted.

Please download and install this DRIVER for your video card.

April 17th, 2009 06:00

Sorry I didn't know that about the service tag.  Can I download & install it if I don't have the internet on that computer?  As I said that is not the one I am typing on.  Honestly, this is like brain surgery for me.:emotion-7: The one I am currently is not a Dell

14.4K Posts

April 17th, 2009 08:00

Hey no problem dont sweat it

Yes you can download the driver onto your current system and either burn it to a data CD or use a thumb drive to transfer it to the other system.

What I would also like you to do is open device manager and in the listing let us know if you see any listings with either a ! or X next to them.

To open device manager press and hold the windows key then press the Pause/Break key. This will open the system window.  Select the Hardware tab and then the device manage button.

April 17th, 2009 09:00

OK I tried to download the driver you suggested however when I went to it it said " page not found"  and now I have real issues because I now have a blank screen  after the windows logo & my keyboard just beeps when I press any key.  I'm about to give it up.  I thinks someone smarter than me needs to deal with it.  I guess when you are in you're 50's you should'nt attrempt some things.  Thanks anyways for you time & help.  :emotion-10:

No Events found!