Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

April 8th, 2017 02:00

Unable to get sound on Dell Latitude D800 running Win XP

I have searched various posts and messaged privately, however thought I might win by also posting to the group.  I recondition old computers for use by youth with whom I do volunteer work in South Africa.  I have an older Dell Latitude D800 (40GB HD and approx 750 mb RAM).  It is sufficient for basic pdf viewing and video viewing to assist in study for school.  It is about 8-10 years old and has been functioning fine.

When I initially wiped it and reloaded Windows XP I struggled to get all the proper drivers and eliminate all the yellow question marks, but managed to do so.  Despite having all the yellow question marks gone and Device manager indicating that all the drivers were working properly I battled to have any sound emit from the computer (the start up and shut down sounds as well as any sound when playing videos).  I am not a computer person, however after a lot of attemps I did manage to get the sound working BUT I don't know how I accomplished it and now cannot remember.  

I am now in the same predicament as the youth who was using it got a virus so I wiped and reloaded XP and the drivers needed to remove the yellow question marks, but now no sound.  Because the computer was working fine previously with respect to sound I really think it is unlikely that something has suddenly gone wrong with the sound card.

Might you have any ideas for me?  I have tried seeing if the sound is enabled in BIOS as some of the forums suggested, but enabling a sound/audio option is not visible when I go into BIOS.  The BIOS is A13.

I can provide you with other info if needed.

Thanks in Advance,

Janet

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

April 8th, 2017 13:00

Windows XP has long passed its End of Life so I'm not surprised your student got a virus on it. That being said if you want to get Windows XP up and running then your issue is likely that you have deviated from the driver installation order.

You should install the unofficial service pack then Dell System Software, then the Intel Chipset, then the Modem Drivers, Ethernet, Wireless, Video and then the Audio driver otherwise the Audio won't work. Then install the Touchpad driver and then Dell Quickset.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

April 9th, 2017 13:00

14 Posts

April 8th, 2017 22:00

This computer was my original computer many years go, however despite that I had not kept the Win XP disks thus I've been using an ISO dis I created. Once the OS was loaded the first time I did simply download a whole list of drivers from the Dell site, struggled a bit with sound then managed to get it working. I did follow some order that was recommended at that time.

When I wiped and reloaded the OS this next time I made a restore point added the Alps touch pad driver (as it had a wickedly drifting mouse) then ONLY the drivers needed to get rid of the yellow question marks and the audio driver was the last of that group of 5 or 6 drivers.

Are you suggesting that I download all the items/drivers you listed despite only having the 5-6 yellow question marks?

Thanks a lot for your help,

Janet

14 Posts

April 9th, 2017 07:00

So I have just finished doing what was suggested: I went back to my first restore point which was right after loading Win XP I then installed the unofficial service pack, the DSS all the way down the list to Dell Quickset and still no sound.  As before all the items in Device Manager in the Sounds, etc say working properly and no yellow question marks.

What else should I do?  I have checked volume and it is fine, NO muting is on...

Please any other suggestions?  In the past I have tried loading the driver diagnostics, however because this computer is only 40 G and 750 mb it can't handle it.

Thanks,

J

No Events found!