Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

K

December 10th, 2008 10:00

Unable to restore laptop to factory settings

Hi Everyone

My daughter's laptop is a dell inspiron 1501 we bought it just over 2 years ago.  It has been great up untill the warranty nearly ran out.  I contacted dell and sorted the problem out over the net (tap F8 and restore to factory settings). 

Now the warranty has ran out (4 weeks ago) and we have a small problem, I want to restore it to original factory settings but when I tap F8 it has no restore to factory settings or repair computer in the menu (system restore will not work before december so i think i have a virus, tried scanning it with bullguard but picks nothing up, which is why i want to reatore it to factory settings).  [:'(]

Is this because my warranty has ran out and dell want me to purchase more warranty, or is it something else.  If anyone could give me some advice i would be so grateful.

Thx Kris :emotion-5:

6.4K Posts

December 10th, 2008 11:00

I think this thread might give you some help:  Restore Vista Factory Image.  The last post on the first page by tgsmith gives you details on a manual restore that should be helpful in your case.

Good luck!

Edit:  I assumed you have Vista as you are attempting an F8 restore.  If I'm wrong, and you have Windows XP, you need to press CTRL and F11, releasing both at the same time, during the Dell screen on starting the computer.

4.6K Posts

December 12th, 2008 07:00

Welcome to the forums Kris :emotion-5:

Here's another link which should help you:  Restoring your [Dell] computer to the factory settings.

You may also find this Driver Installation Order article helpful?

2 Posts

December 16th, 2008 07:00

Thx Guys

Your advice worked a treat and the daughter is over the moon

:emotion-5:

6.4K Posts

December 16th, 2008 17:00

Very happy to have helped.  Good luck to you!

1 Message

November 19th, 2011 16:00

Hi, I also am having similar problem, however the differnece is it is on windows 7 and when I go through the above steps, it DOES not show me any factory settings restore option. SOMEONE, EVERYONE please help

sam

No Events found!