Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

Closed

December 17th, 2008 08:00

very slow laptop 8 minutes to startup!!!

i wonder if anyone can help,

ihave a very serious slowdown in my computer, it takes 8 minutes to start, and it is quite slow to start a programme after that. it is an inspiron 1520 laptop using windows xp bought this january, dont know where to find the version number if this is important.

i have run avg scan, mcafee scan, symantec scan and others from the dell website, and there have been no viruses, trojans, etc. found, so i am presuming that it is just a performance issue, there are 57 services running on the services tab of system configuration utility.

on the startup tab there are:-

SynTPEnh

Igfxtray

Hkcmd

Igfxpers

OEMO2Mon

Jusched

Stsystra

ISUSPM

EULALauncher

Ifrmewrk

KADxMain

dsca

Hpztsb09

Setup

Qttask

RoxWatchTray9

DrgtoDsc

PCMService

ITunesHelper

Issch

HPWuschd

Hpcmpmgr

Google Desktop

Dellwmgr

Quickset

MaxMenuMgrBasics

Avgtray

Reader_sl

Ctfmon

Msmsgs

Digital Line Detect

all ticked for startup.

all help gratefully accepted

Wheelo.

10 Posts

December 30th, 2008 15:00

to all those who helped an old man getting older by the minute, thank you i am now bug free, it it great to think that in this day and age, there are still people who will give their time and expertise free, gratis, and without cost.

Wheelo

3.4K Posts

December 17th, 2008 09:00

Hello,

You want to remove as many items from the startup as you can without hurting the programs that you use.

You have "Lots" of un-needed items running. I suggest that you go here and search each one, most you can decide for yourself given the information shown. If you have questions about specific items, ask.

Most any service/program that has the purpose of checking for updates can be unchecked in the startup tab by running MSCONFIG

I suggest installing PSI from here to check for vital software updates. Basically, most every program feels the need to start some process or other every time the system boots, but we know that most all of them are not required and slow the system down.

10 Posts

December 17th, 2008 14:00

hi again and thank you for your help to date,

i have spent the last few hours trawling through the list on the startup tab in the process library, most say that they should not be deleted,a few:- oem02mon, eulalauncher, maxmenumgrbasics, digital line detect show up as unknown. ctfmon says it could be microsoft or it could be a trojan(any ideas?).

i unticked about 20 from the tab and it still takes 8 minutes.

i also installed psi from the secunia site and ran all the updates that it asked me to do, it now tells me that my update status is 100%(thats one thing done), thank you for that tip.

i ran a free scan from http://www.liutilities.com/products/freescans/ and it tells me that there are lots of things that it can help me with for the sum of £19.95 ($30-40). are there benefits to this kind of programme or is it better to learn (with your and other like minde tech savvy peoples help).

if you have any more help i will be eternally grateful as 8 minutes to start a laptop (1 minute when new) is blowing my mind.

thank you

Wheelo 

3.4K Posts

December 17th, 2008 16:00

Hello again,

Forget about paying for any cleanup program. :emotion-45:

Remember that by unchecking the box in MSCONFIG you are not deleting anything. You are just removing it from the startup list, and if you recheck it, it will be again on the startup list.

eulalauncher is from the Google toolbar and can either be uninstalled of just unchecked.

oem02mon is a file from Creative. You either have Creative sound or Video and it's OK to uncheck it.

maxmenumgrbasics is a backup program from Maxtor.

digital line detect is installed by Dell as BVRP phone tools. If you use it keep it, if not uncheck it.

ctfmon is most likely the real Microsoft file.

What Antivirus are you running again? And what is your model number?

4.6K Posts

December 18th, 2008 02:00

Check your startup folder, and remove anything not required to run at startup :emotion-55:

And as Darrell says, there's no need to pay for 'system clean-up' software.

CCleaner is FREE, yet it's one of the most useful and comprehensive system cleaners available :emotion-21:

7 Posts

December 18th, 2008 03:00

Well first of mate, I'd run a disk clean up, get rid of everything apart from Compressed old files, clear your old System Restore files and run a Defrag.

If that doesnt make any difference check your page file size as if its too small and you have alot of memory hungry programs running that could be the cause of your slow boot times. How do do this and some other preformance tips from Microsoft here

Uninstall what you dont need, good house keeping is always the key to a smooth running machine in the long term, running Virus and Spyware scans often can keep you in good order too.

If your still having problems defragmenting your pagefile and registry may help, but I wouldnt recommend trying that yourself unless you know what your doing. :emotion-1:

10 Posts

December 18th, 2008 09:00

thanks again for your response,

the reason for the late reply is that of geography, you are in the sunny side of california while i am in the cold wet Ireland, with a time difference of 7 hours if i am not mistaken.

anyway, i am running free avg antivirus on an inspiron 1520 laptop.

i have unticked all the other things you have given me information on, to no avail, it is still 8 minutes to start, i am going to run a free ccleaner system optimization, privacy and cleaning tool, i hope this will give some success(it was reccommended to me on this forum).

thanks

wheelo

4.6K Posts

December 18th, 2008 09:00

If you still have problems, I'd say a reinstall is probably in order :emotion-55:

2 Posts

December 20th, 2008 01:00

hi mate i had the same problem with start up.try windows live onecare.download it and run it this is free and will take a couple of hours but will be very effective.:emotion-11:

10 Posts

December 23rd, 2008 15:00

Hi again guys,

I have been very busy trying to follow all your advice, i have unticked lots of stuff in the startup menu,I have defragmented the hard drive, I have used the Ccleaner programme, I have run secunia personal software inspector, I have signed up for microsoft's windows live onecare and ran it, I have reached the end of my tether(unless anyone has any bright ideas), should I now re-install windows? does this mean that i lose all information stored on the laptop? if this is the best course of action, could anyone write a detailed description that even an idiot(me) could follow.

I am using an inspiron 1520, running windows,un-installed avg and now use windows live onecare as virus protection.

all help gratefully received,

wheelo

No Events found!