Start a Conversation

Unsolved

M

2 Posts

March 27th, 2019 09:00

10gb Intel nic on Optiplex 3020 SFF removes one memory bank.

Hi

When I install one 10gb dual Intel nic in the PCIe Slot I can only use one memory bank. Way?

I have 16gb ram 2x8gb modules, but when i put in the nic i only have 8gb ram.

Is this related to bios/irq or is it to week power supply.

Bios is A19

Power supply is 255w

CPU is i5-4590

Nic Intel® Ethernet Server Adapter X520-DA2

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

March 28th, 2019 05:00

Its related to how the PCI-E card is addressed in the memory map.  Base Address Registers (BAR) in the PCIE configuration space hold the memory address that the PCI Express should respond to / is allowed to write to. 

PCI-E BASE ADDRESS MEMORYPCI-E BASE ADDRESS MEMORY

15 Posts

March 29th, 2019 00:00

It is most likely related to BIOS installing NIC shouldn't disable a RAM module. Speedstep answer is not valid in this case it is only related to adressing the NIC.

2 Posts

March 29th, 2019 00:00

Thanks. But how do i get it to work? The nic works fin in OS but i only have half my memory. //Micke

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

March 29th, 2019 04:00

Base address Registers (or BARs) can be used to hold memory addresses used by the device, or offsets for port addresses.  Typically, memory address BARs need to be located in physical ram. The Type field of the Memory Space BAR Layout specifies the size of the base register and where in memory it can be mapped. If it has a value of 0x00 then the base register is 32-bits wide and can be mapped in the first 4 to 8 gigs.  The card he is using is an X4 or X8 card and he is using it in an X16 video slot.

The motherboard does not map that slot for use with NIC or storage cards.

1 Message

May 6th, 2020 15:00

Sorry, speedstep you're incorrect. I ran into this issue today with an Optiplex 3020 SFF and an Intel i350-T4 NIC. I lost an entire memory slot upon installing the NIC in the x16 slot - same as the OP. Fixed it by following this video/guide How To Stop Your HBA From Disabling Memory Channels I now have the Intel NIC installed and all installed memory (both slots) available. Others have had this issue on various motherboards from various manufacturers with many HBA's and a few NIC's and they have all had success with this peculiar loss of a memory channel.

I know this thread is over a year old at this point but this information can definitely help someone like it did me.

1 Message

January 29th, 2024 14:18

@PClarke313​ This video is what solved my problem as well. I taped over pins 5 & 6 on the bottom side of the NIC and now I have all of the memory slots back. Thanks for pointing in the right direction.

No Events found!