petro1head
1 Copper

3050, CPU upgrade?

I have a Optiplex 3050 currently with an i3-7100 cpu and would like to upgrade

I am thinking about an i5-7600, would this work?

Do I have any other options ie i7?

Thanks

0 Kudos
5 Replies
petro1head
1 Copper

Re: Optiplex 3050 CPU Upgrade

email notifications Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
AhmedHakem
1 Copper

I have a Optiplex 3050 currently with an i3-7100 cpu and would like to upgrade I am thinking about an i7, would this work? Thanks
0 Kudos

From the 3050 Spec Sheet:

Intel ® 7th generation Celeron, Pentium and Core™ i3 Dual Core, Core™ i5 Quad Core (up to 65W Tower/Small Form Factor, 35W Micro); supports Win 10/Linux Intel ® 6th generation Celeron, Pentium and Core™ i3 Dual Core, Core™ i5 Quad Core (up to 65W Tower/Small Form Factor, 35W Micro); supports Win 7/8.1/10/Linux

- Please consider giving posts you like a thumbs up.
- Please "Accept as Solution" posts that are a solution.

I'm a big fan of Dell, a Dell user, and not an employee. This forum is mainly user to user with occasional moderation or additional knowledge by a Rockstar or Dell employee.
0 Kudos

Max CPU is I5-7500 according to userbenchmark.

- Please consider giving posts you like a thumbs up.
- Please "Accept as Solution" posts that are a solution.

I'm a big fan of Dell, a Dell user, and not an employee. This forum is mainly user to user with occasional moderation or additional knowledge by a Rockstar or Dell employee.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Da_Vinman
2 Iron

Re: 3050, CPU upgrade?

I wouldn't bother upgrading, as you'll likely never notice it - the performance jump is around 38% over the i3 and that's virtually nothing in the real world.

I've done quite a few CPU upgrades and unless it 2X the performance (100% gain) then don't bother - and to get that you'd probably need to go to a top-end i7 like the i7-7920HQ or 7820HQ, which is expensive and a CPU that your system may not support.