Start a Conversation

Unsolved

M

1 Rookie

• 

53 Posts

June 8th, 2018 03:00

5050's, Windows 10, running slow

We are imaging OptiPlex 5050 Micros with Windows 10 builds 1607, 1709 and find they are extremely slow.  I've loaded the latest Dell Drivers - May 2018 directly from support.dell.com and this doesn't seem to help.  I've also tried running Dell Command Update 2.3.1 and the software only finds drivers back to March 2018 and doesn't seem to show the latest drivers. 

1 Message

September 17th, 2018 02:00

Same here, all 4 processors running at 100% for hours with a simple regedit search. All latest drivers installed, but none of it is improving the behaviour.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

September 17th, 2018 10:00

@HSMSRM wrote:

Same here, all 4 processors running at 100% for hours with a simple regedit search. All latest drivers installed, but none of it is improving the behaviour.

1. Does machine pass ePSA?

2. Is this machine running from a spinning-HDD or a SSD?

Check for over-heating with CPUID's HW-Monitor or OCCT (Power-Supply Test).

Check disk's SMART with Crystal DiskInfo or Passmark's util.

Check disk data-rate with Crystal DiskMark.

May 14th, 2019 09:00

Did you ever resolve this? We have 5050’s that are slower than a 9 year old 990! Tried updating soundcard drivers, even disabling with no luck

101 Posts

May 16th, 2019 11:00

Hello...  I'm curious to know...

Was your last OS functioning well?  If so, what was that OS?

Did you make any memory upgrades recently?  

Do you have access to a SSD drive to try a similar Win 10 install?  (even though SSD was not in your plans).

There are two tiny  and free programs you may want to try:

* "What's Running"

and 

* "Process Explorer"  (Sysinternals)

Both provide outstanding insight as to items loading / running and memory status!  Find them here:

PROCESS EXPLORE

Please do let us know your resolution? 

Anthony

6 Professor

• 

7.3K Posts

May 16th, 2019 12:00

Something I remember is the Oct. Win10 update slowed down computers.  Update(s) the followed corrected that.

101 Posts

Great stuff, Ian!  Thank you so much for your update!  Again, please do let us know about your fixes and progress?

Yep, sometimes it helps to look 'under the hood', so to speak.  Your slow Win 10 report did seem highly unusual so I remain anxious to learn the cause(s)...  Low memory seems to be the usual cause, but arrays of bells and whistles loading count too...  I must add that my Optiplex 9010 acts like it was MADE for Windows 10!

They took me kicking and screaming as I was urged to 10 because Win 7 Pro functioned just fine.  I am somewhat concerned about the constant barrage of 10 updates though... 

This last weekend I think Leo Laport say that Microsoft wants out of the Windows environment and is quietly pushing towards a Android environment/OS instead?  Guess MS is getting tired of the boxcars full of band-aids?  I'm going to listen to that broadcast again because my attention was somewhat diverted then.

Thanks again, Ian...

Film at 11

Anthony

Hi Anthony,

Last OS is Windows 7, and users reported it was very slow on the 5050.  Some users 'upgraded' to a 5050 wanted to go back to their old PC.

Thanks for the pointed to the tools - I user Process Explorer and also ProcMon a lot.

Tried an SSD today, just as slow.

Had breakthrough today! I measured performance with a script to read and write to the registry.  Using a OptiPlex 7020 as a control, the 5050 was 7 times slower.  Interestingly in WindowsPE the were the same (fast).  After disabling lots of things in the BIOS is seems that Secure Boot is slowing it down!  Disabling it speeds it up.  Haven't tried secure boot on the 7020 yet.

Will keep you informed if you are interested!

cheers,

Ian.

No Events found!