Highlighted

Re: 5060 boot Legacy External Device?

Newer systems (industry wide) no longer support booting in Legacy Mode, except to external devices. This is because Intel is planning on removing all legacy BIOS support by 2020. Going forward, any image to be installed on an internal drive will need to be UEFI:

https://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/04/sln309720/newer-dell-systems-unable-to-boot-to-interna...

DELL-Alasdair R
Social Media Support
#IWork4Dell
I'm based in the UK and I'm usually available Monday to Friday 10am-5pm GMT (BST)
Get Support on Twitter @DellCaresPro

0 Kudos
Highlighted
8 Xenon

@DELL-Alasdair R wrote:

Newer systems (industry wide) no longer support booting in Legacy Mode, except to external devices. This is because Intel is planning on removing all legacy BIOS support by 2020. Going forward, any image to be installed on an internal drive will need to be UEFI:

https://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/04/sln309720/newer-dell-systems-unable-to-boot-to-interna...

There is a critical element you did not indicate that will confuse people.  Windows 2 GO installs are USB only.

Taking an installed internal drive out and putting into an enclosure WILL NOT BOOT OR WORK.   You would have to reinstall from scratch in "Windows 2 Go" mode.

This is what was done in the post above on a steam machine.

Report Unresolved Customer Service Issues
here

I do not work for Dell. I too am a user.

The forum is primarily user to user, with Dell employees moderating
Contact USA Technical Support

0 Kudos
Highlighted
6 Indium

Why use legacy mode anyway?  Just build a UEFI- enabled flash drive to boot from.

Legacy mode is going away -- most Intel systems in 2019 won't even have a legacy mode and it'll be completely gone by 2020 -- time to prepare new boot media.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
8 Xenon

Legacy mode is required for MBR /FAT32/GRUB/Syslinux/MSDOS/WIN9X/USB CD El Torito/USB DVD WIN7 etc.

Bios updaters and other firmware still use FREEDOS or MSDOS or WIN9X Dos for some things.

Class 3 UEFI bios has no CSM and therefore No Legacy mode.

Nope!Nope!

BIOS CLASS 1  2   3BIOS CLASS 1 2 3

Report Unresolved Customer Service Issues
here

I do not work for Dell. I too am a user.

The forum is primarily user to user, with Dell employees moderating
Contact USA Technical Support

0 Kudos
Highlighted
1 Copper

Re: 5060, boot Legacy External Device?

me too, i have the same problem new bios theme is wearing and not compatible after trying to boot win 10 in the old way , i could not able to see my hard,i got stuck and in the same time dell support could not help
0 Kudos