Start a Conversation

Unsolved

M

21 Posts

November 10th, 2018 11:00

7010, Not waking up, black screen

This happened twice in a row to my computers.  Just set up this Dell and the first time it went into sleep it never woke up.  Boots right into sleep mode.  Shutting down completely does not work. Unplugging doesn't work. Changing outlet/power source, cables, taking out battery, nothing works.

Has anyone had this happen?  Is there a fix? I cannot get rid of another computer because of this! It is the strangest thing ever.  I am running Windows 10.

21 Posts

I think there is a tag unit....going to do what you suggested now...

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

What exact model computer? Is it brand new or used? Did it ever work? We need more info to help. 

7 Technologist

• 

12K Posts

Is there a tag number on the unit? If so go to Support and type in the tag for the specs on your unit. Do NOT post the tag number in the forum (protect your security).

21 Posts

JOcean - I have done everything you mentioned. 

How would I find the model #?  This was a refurbished PC that was given as a gift.  It worked perfectly (as did the other computer) until it went into sleep mode. Now it will not wake up and NOTHING I have done has helped - screen stays black/off, nothing on the monitor.  Boots IMMEDIATELY into sleep mode. 

7 Technologist

• 

12K Posts

The moderator can move it and thanks for the model, it helps. Just curious...do you see any light flashing or any beeps?

21 Posts

Ok, it is an OptiPlex 7010, if that helps.  I know I am in the Inspiron forum, can a thread be moved?

7 Technologist

• 

12K Posts

When you pulled the battery did you wait at least 5 minutes before putting it back in? Did you pull the power cord and hold down the power button for at least 30 seconds? Before it goes into sleep, are you able to tap F2 or F12 to enter the BIOS or choose a boot option or go into diagnostics? When it is booting do you see the Dell splash screen?  Try the following link for more options.

Also can you please post the exact model number?

https://www.itguyswa.com.au/how-to-fix-a-computer-that-wont-come-out-of-sleep-mode/

https://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f15/computer-boots-into-sleep-standby-mode-643557.html

21 Posts

November 10th, 2018 12:00

Yes, you are correct, this happened with two PCs and I've been trying to find the commonality.  I have switched monitors. I will try using completely different wall outlets/power strips. I know I switched a few out but I can't remember if I used all new power sources, so I am going to check that out now.

7 Technologist

• 

12K Posts

Did the system work before you transferred everything over? If so is it possible that there was a virus on the old system that is now on the new one. Also if you transferred the OS from the old one it is possible that you now have corrupt files or problems that were transferred over. If you get it to boot, I would suggest a clean install to ensure that nothing of a malicious or corrupt nature is transferred.

One other thought. Try removing the memory and then boot. You should get a series of beeps. If so then insert 1 RAM module and try it, then try the other if nothing happens. You might have to go step by step. Disconnect the hard drive/drives and remove the memory, and pull the cables off the DVD drive. In other words disconnect everything except the motherboard. See if it tries to boot. If the system attempts to boot, slowly connect one item at a time until the sleep problem returns.

And again, try a new battery for the BIOS.

21 Posts

No luck changing power sources.

21 Posts

Thanks, I'll check the threads.  Cannot access BIOS.  Also, this happened to two computers in immediate succession, that is why I do not believe it is the hard drive(s).  I also transferred what was on the old hard drive to the new computer (the one I am dealing with this problem on now).  The hard drives don't seem to be the issue. 

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

If I understand correctly, the same thing is happening to 2 different PCs. So that suggests something in common is the problem. If you're using a power strip or surge protector, remove them and connect the PC directly to a working wall outlet. If you're trying to use the same monitor with both PCs, it's possible the monitor failed. Can you test a different monitor on this PC or this monitor on an entirely different PC?

21 Posts

No beeps, just the blinking lights on the monitor and computer, as if it was in sleep mode.

Does the fact that the monitor when I first power on, in a box on the top right, blinks "analog" then "digital" and then it goes away?  

7 Technologist

• 

12K Posts

Ok found another post on the forum with the same problem and a couple of ideas. It could be a hard drive problem and I found one post where the user replaced the CMOS battery and that cured the problem. As I asked earlier, are you able to tap F2 or F12 and have the system go into the BIOS settings or run diagnostics?

https://www.dell.com/community/Desktops-General-Read-Only/Optiplex-7010-win-7-64bit-Can-not-wake-computer-from-sleep-using/td-p/4031443/page/2

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-dell-optiplex-goes-into-sleep-mode-instead-of-loading-bios.1045143/

21 Posts

Thank you, this all helps a lot.   The only things I transferred over were desktop files PDFs, Word, some video). Then I installed Office 365.  Windows 10 was already installed.  Nothing seemed corrupted or problematic.  

Everything was working fine until the computer went to sleep and then nothing.  

No Events found!