Start a Conversation

Unsolved

M

21 Posts

November 10th, 2018 11:00

7010, Not waking up, black screen

This happened twice in a row to my computers.  Just set up this Dell and the first time it went into sleep it never woke up.  Boots right into sleep mode.  Shutting down completely does not work. Unplugging doesn't work. Changing outlet/power source, cables, taking out battery, nothing works.

Has anyone had this happen?  Is there a fix? I cannot get rid of another computer because of this! It is the strangest thing ever.  I am running Windows 10.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

November 10th, 2018 13:00

Couldn't edit my last post... What color is the PC's power button and is it steady or blinking? Look up error codes in the manual for your form factor. eg, https://downloads.dell.com/manuals/all-products/esuprt_desktop/esuprt_optiplex_desktop/optiplex-7010_owner%27s%20manual2_en-us.pdf

21 Posts

Thank you, these are things I will have to research/look into.  The computer was a gift, and I am not sure about some of these things.  One quick question - would any of these things be the issue if the computer and monitor were working perfectly before the computer went into sleep mode?

Thank you for your kind help.

21 Posts

it is blinking, like a orange color.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

Did you replace the motherboard battery as was suggested? If you did, BIOS settings got reset to the defaults which might not be suitable for your specific hardware. Was the first PC that failed the same model as the second PC? If you know the Service Tag for the PC, you can find out what the factory specs were by clicking Support at top of any forum page and entering the tag on the new screen. (Do not post the Service Tag here!). There should be a link on the support page for your specific system to see the factory config which will tell you if an add-in video card was installed. (Obviously, if somebody changed the hardware, the factory specs won't be right.) BTW: Do you know the 2nd PC actually works?

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

Exactly which form factor Optiplex 7010 is this, ultra-small, small or mini-tower? Do you have an add-in AMD or NVidia video card or are you using onboard Intel Graphics? If you have an add-in video card, the monitor must be connected to the add-in card because the on-board video ports are disabled when a card is installed. Look at the back panel diagrams for your form factor and make sure the monitor is connected to a port in the area marked "expansion slots", NOT in the area marked "back panel connectors". https://downloads.dell.com/manuals/all-products/esuprt_desktop/esuprt_optiplex_desktop/optiplex-7010_setup%20guide_en-us.pdf

7 Technologist

• 

12K Posts

And you say the power light blinks but no other numbers displayed on the front of the unit, or any beeps or other blinking light combinations? Seems too much of a coincidence that 2 units would do exactly the same thing. Did you use the same video cable to hook up any monitors that you tried?

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

Power off and unplug power cord from rear of PC. Press/hold power button for ~30 sec. Reconnect the power cord to rear of PC and power on. Immediately begin counting the amber blinks. They should occur in groups, eg 2blinks 1blink. Look up the blink code on page 48, here: https://downloads.dell.com/manuals/all-products/esuprt_desktop/esuprt_optiplex_desktop/optiplex-7010_owner%27s%20manual2_en-us.pdf

21 Posts

The monitor light blinks, and the power button on the computer blinks.  I switched out the monitors and cables, and nothing has changed.  Yes, it is a hugely weird coincidence, and I actually don't think it is a coincidence but I am trying to find the source  Could it be Windows 10? I have never seen this before.  Can't even work on fixing it internally because I cannot get to anything.

21 Posts

November 10th, 2018 15:00

I didn't replace the battery (yet).  The first PC wasn't a Dell, honestly I can't remember what it was offhand. The 2nd computer was working perfectly at first.  I do have the Service Tag for this 2nd computer and I need to try and figure out what to do next re: the tag. I am not very savvy when it comes to things like this with computers so I am researching suggestions as I go along to make sure I do everything right/as suggested.

Thank you!!!

21 Posts

November 10th, 2018 15:00

@RoHe wrote:

Power off and unplug power cord from rear of PC. Press/hold power button for ~30 sec. Reconnect the power cord to rear of PC and power on. Immediately begin counting the amber blinks. They should occur in groups, eg 2blinks 1blink. Look up the blink code on page 48, here: https://downloads.dell.com/manuals/all-products/esuprt_desktop/esuprt_optiplex_desktop/optiplex-7010_owner%27s%20manual2_en-us.pdf

So this was really interesting.  3 blinks, pause, then 2 blinks, pause = possible USB failure.  

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

November 10th, 2018 16:00

Like I said, click Support at top of any forum page. On next screen, enter the service tag and look for the box on left that says configuration. It will open a list of hardware/software that Dell originally installed.

See if you have either an AMD or NVidia video card entry on that list. If you do, make sure the monitor is plugged into the video card, not into onboard video. 

Then start counting amber power button blinks when it won't boot. That will give you a good indication of where the problem might be and what to do next.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

Sorry I didn't see your post about blink counts before my last post...

Power off and unplug PC. Press/hold power button for ~15 sec. Now disconnect ALL USB devices. Use a flashlight to examine all USB ports on the PC to see if any of them looks bent or otherwise damaged. If a USB port is shorted, the PC won't boot. Hopefully, not...

Check keyboard and mouse to make sure no keys/buttons are stuck. 

Now connect only mouse and keyboard to USB and reboot. Does it boot now? If not, power off and disconnect mouse. Reboot. Now? If not, power off and disconnect keyboard. How about now or do you get a new blink code and/or beeps without a keyboard connected?

Do you have a spare USB keyboard you can test on the OptiPlex or another PC you can test with this keyboard?

21 Posts

Ok, so I tried all this and still nothing.  I did try another keyboard and mouse (I am using a wireless in general).  Nothing, no change.  The monitor does nothing more than pop up a random box to let me know that a cable is disconnected when I unplug, and/or it blinks back and forth between digital and analog.  I don't know what to do. If I get another computer, what if this happens again? The things that are the same with both computers are the keyboard and mouse, the monitor (all of which I have tried swapping out), Windows 10, and the desktop files I moved from my old hard drive to the new computer.  Everything was working great.  Sleep = problem started. 

@RoHe wrote:

Sorry I didn't see your post about blink counts before my last post...

Power off and unplug PC. Press/hold power button for ~15 sec. Now disconnect ALL USB devices. Use a flashlight to examine all USB ports on the PC to see if any of them looks bent or otherwise damaged. If a USB port is shorted, the PC won't boot. Hopefully, not...

Check keyboard and mouse to make sure no keys/buttons are stuck. 

Now connect only mouse and keyboard to USB and reboot. Does it boot now? If not, power off and disconnect mouse. Reboot. Now? If not, power off and disconnect keyboard. How about now or do you get a new blink code and/or beeps without a keyboard connected?

Do you have a spare USB keyboard you can test on the OptiPlex or another PC you can test with this keyboard?

7 Technologist

• 

12K Posts

November 10th, 2018 18:00

Ok...this is way off the wall but here goes. Have you noticed anything in the house like dim lights or flickering lights. Maybe a problem with a tv or some other device. My point is could there be voltage surges or spikes that are getting the computers? And along that vein....is it a possible power supply problem in the system?

21 Posts

November 11th, 2018 16:00

You all have been so awesome, I really appreciate all the brainstorming and time spent replying to me. It is such a weird thing, and literally no one seems to have encountered this before.

No Events found!