Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

Closed

26 Posts

March 21st, 2019 11:00

7010 SFF, compatible operating systems

I am considering buying a Dell Optiplex 7010 computer, the small form factor version.  I imagine that this model has various customizations that you can choose at the time of purchase. 

The specs are

i5-3470

12GB RAM

250GB HDD

What operating systems is this compatible with?  It seems as though Optiplex 7010's have shipped with Windows 7 and Windows 8.  

<ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>.

But, I am not sure if there are certain configurations that are for Windows 7 and certain configurations that are for Windows 8.  

My main concern is whether it will be compatible with Windows 8.1 pro. 

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

March 21st, 2019 12:00

@Netherprovinc3 wrote:

1. It seems as though Optiplex 7010's have shipped with Windows 7 and Windows 8.  

2. My main concern is whether it will be compatible with Windows 8.1 pro. 

1. Correct

2. Yes, it is.

Windows-10 Pro 64bit also:

https://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/19/sln297954/dell-computers-tested-for-windows-10-october-2018-update-and-previous-versions-of-windows-10?lang=en

March 21st, 2019 13:00

thanks.  I tried to give you kudo but for some reason that button is not working.

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

March 21st, 2019 17:00

These systems work with XP or VISTA or 7 or 8 or 10.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

March 21st, 2019 19:00

@speedstep wrote:

An Oldie, but a goodie . :Cool: (for casual use) 

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

March 22nd, 2019 03:00

@speedstep wrote:

XP and Vista are retired, and are security risks.

6 Professor

• 

7.3K Posts

March 22nd, 2019 17:00

People with retired systems need to run their own security, like McAfee being one example.  Norton slows down XP.  Some people keep a machine with XP on it just for certain games only XP will run.  Though some people might still have it, I haven't seen a draw to keep Vista.  Win7 has long been a much better version of it.

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

March 25th, 2019 01:00

I have clients with ELEVATOR and LIGHT control systems that use MSDOS or CPM. DOS is used mostly to run three things: legacy bus software, classic DOS games, and embedded systems.   MSDOS Started in 1981  FreeDOS started in 2006 and is still alive and well today.  I'm older than DOS and older than Linux but I'm not being tossed aside.  There were many OS like CPM or even Apple Dos from 1977 that are still also being used.  Before IBM and the PC there were actually companies that made computers but not everyone could afford one.

Not supported does not mean not working after support ends.

systems that have good physical security,  generators, guard dogs, mine fields,  razor wire,  machine gun turrets,  laser trip wires etc are not a security risk.

There are many buildings and ships and other things that use DOS or XP or whatever because there are not going to be any updates to these systems ever.

These older systems use RS232 serial and IEE 488 parallell ports not CAT5 Ethernet with TCP/IP.

Some Also use CAT3 Ethernet with IPX/SPX and or NETBEUI or EVEN XNS Protocol on MSDOS AND XENIX etc.

They were designed and installed more than 20 years before the internet was all the rage.

1 Message

March 30th, 2019 00:00

My 7010 SFF purchased from Dell Leasing is a good desktop but I am stomped when I set it up for wifi since I moved and cannot use ethernet as previously. I wasted hours with a usb adapter working for a moment and needing to be reset for Gateway unavailable. I returned it to Fry's and got a new pci express card. There are no slots for the card. Just the longer ones and only two longer slots. How is that possible. I hope you can answer since support blew me off since out of warranty. I told them that I live near corporate and own 3 Dell computer. They could have cared less. Help me solve my mystery and help me quit wasting time on issue. Thanks in adevance!

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

March 30th, 2019 09:00

@austexjam1 wrote:

My 7010 SFF

1. for wifi since I moved and cannot use ethernet as previously.

2. I wasted hours with a usb adapter working for a moment and needing to be reset for Gateway unavailable.

3. I returned it to Fry's and got a new pci express card. There are no slots for the card. Just the longer ones and only two longer slots. How is that possible.

1. At this point, it would probably be better to go ahead and run a proper wire.

2. You can try a better one. Netgear is good. Driver support will be better on Windows-10/64bit.

3. As long as it is PCIe, you can install a short (x1) PCIe card in a longer (x4, x8, x16) PCIe slot if you want to.

March 30th, 2019 11:00

It seems as though some models have wireless networking built into the motherboard.  I am saying this based on noticing here 

https://www.dell.com/downloads/global/products/optix/en/optiplex_7010_technical_guidebook.pdf

(see page 9) that there is connector for a wireless antenna.  

March 30th, 2019 12:00

If you do end up installing the card into the pci-e x16 slot, it seems there is a chance that the bios will turn the other pci-e x16 slot into an pci-e x8 slot.  At least that's what I read here:

https://www.tenforums.com/pc-custom-builds-overclocking/21559-using-pcie-x1-card-pcie-x16-slot.html

But, that probably wont be a problem for most graphics cards.

March 30th, 2019 12:00

When you say that they are using the operating systems because there are "not going to be any updates to the operating systems," what do you mean exactly?  I would think that they are using those old operating systems because there is not a strong enough reason to change.  For example, (1) they are offline from the internet; and/or (2) they have software that wouldn't work on the newer operating systems; and/or (3) doesn't make financial sense to upgrade hardware/software.

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

March 31st, 2019 10:00

No dell models have wireless built into the motherboard.

There are many models that have mini pci-e cards and or an X1 pci-e wireless card.

March 31st, 2019 10:00

Interesting, good to know.

I was thinking that wireless network cards for desktop computers would have the antennae coming out of the back of the network card.  But, some of the Optiplex 7010's have a "hole" for a standalone antenna.  I guess some network cards let you have an antennae that's not directly attached to the network card.

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

April 2nd, 2019 03:00

The OptiPlex 7010 works with:

• Windows XP Pro - End of Life (OEM Downgrade Rights from Windows 7 Pro)
  • Windows Vista Business - End of Life (OEM Downgrade Rights from Windows 7 Pro)
  • Windows 7 Pro End of Life in January 2020 (Windows 7 Pro OEM License Affixed)
  • Windows 8.1 (Requires a Retail License - Not Worth Paying for)
  • Windows 10 Pro (Free Upgrade from Windows 7 Pro OEM License Affixed)

You are best to clean install Windows 10 Version 1903 when it comes out (should be in a week or two) with the Windows 7 Pro OEM Product Key (Windows 7 keys work with Windows 10 Installation Media). You'll get better performance if you replace the Hard Drive in it with a Solid State Drive. Ensure the UEFI BIOS is up to date and a UEFI Boot with Secure Boot is enabled. Installation instructions are here:

https://dellwindowsreinstallationguide.com/windows-oem-faqs-and-downloads/

End of Life Operating Systems are a security risk due to no longer being patched and should not be connected to the internet. e.g. using online banking with a Windows XP system for instance is asking for trouble. 

No Events found!