Optiplex Desktops

Last reply by 08-16-2019 Solved
Start a Discussion
2 Bronze
2 Bronze

7010 SFF, compatible operating systems

I am considering buying a Dell Optiplex 7010 computer, the small form factor version.  I imagine that this model has various customizations that you can choose at the time of purchase. 

The specs are

i5-3470

12GB RAM

250GB HDD

What operating systems is this compatible with?  It seems as though Optiplex 7010's have shipped with Windows 7 and Windows 8.  

https://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/04/sln285337/dell-optiplex-7010-system-guide?lang=en

But, I am not sure if there are certain configurations that are for Windows 7 and certain configurations that are for Windows 8.  

My main concern is whether it will be compatible with Windows 8.1 pro. 

Solution (1)

Accepted Solutions
8 Platinum

@Netherprovinc3 wrote:

1. It seems as though Optiplex 7010's have shipped with Windows 7 and Windows 8.  

https://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/04/sln285337/dell-optiplex-7010-system-guide?lang=en

2. My main concern is whether it will be compatible with Windows 8.1 pro. 

1. Correct

2. Yes, it is.

Windows-10 Pro 64bit also:

https://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/19/sln297954/dell-computers-tested-for-windows-10-october...

Registered Microsoft Partner and Apple Developer
- Like many of you, I can appreciate a good game-engine.
- I answer questions here, but I'm not a Dell employee.
- Consider giving posts you like a "thumbs-up"
- Posting models-numbers and software versions speeds trouble-shooting.
- Click "Accept as Solution" button on any post that answers your question best.

View solution in original post

Replies (20)
8 Platinum

@Netherprovinc3 wrote:

1. It seems as though Optiplex 7010's have shipped with Windows 7 and Windows 8.  

2. My main concern is whether it will be compatible with Windows 8.1 pro. 

1. Correct

2. Yes, it is.

Windows-10 Pro 64bit also:

https://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/19/sln297954/dell-computers-tested-for-windows-10-october...

- Click "Accept as Solution" button on any post that answers your question best.

thanks.  I tried to give you kudo but for some reason that button is not working.

These systems work with XP or VISTA or 7 or 8 or 10.

Report Unresolved Customer Service Issues
here

I do not work for Dell. I too am a user.

The forum is primarily user to user, with Dell employees moderating
Contact USA Technical Support

Get Support on Twitter @DellCaresPro

Diagnostics & Tools

@speedstep wrote:

An Oldie, but a goodie . :Cool: (for casual use) 

@speedstep wrote:

XP and Vista are retired, and are security risks.

People with retired systems need to run their own security, like McAfee being one example.  Norton slows down XP.  Some people keep a machine with XP on it just for certain games only XP will run.  Though some people might still have it, I haven't seen a draw to keep Vista.  Win7 has long been a much better version of it.

- Please kudos posts you like!
- Please "Accept as Solution" posts that are a solution.
- If you have an Optiplex, stating its model number AND size speeds up troubleshooting. Components vary.

Code of Conduct
TechSupport YouTube

I'm a big fan of Dell, a Dell user, and not an employee. This forum is user to user with occasional assistance by other Rockstars or Dell employees.

I have clients with ELEVATOR and LIGHT control systems that use MSDOS or CPM. DOS is used mostly to run three things: legacy bus software, classic DOS games, and embedded systems.   MSDOS Started in 1981  FreeDOS started in 2006 and is still alive and well today.  I'm older than DOS and older than Linux but I'm not being tossed aside.  There were many OS like CPM or even Apple Dos from 1977 that are still also being used.  Before IBM and the PC there were actually companies that made computers but not everyone could afford one.

Not supported does not mean not working after support ends.

systems that have good physical security,  generators, guard dogs, mine fields,  razor wire,  machine gun turrets,  laser trip wires etc are not a security risk.

There are many buildings and ships and other things that use DOS or XP or whatever because there are not going to be any updates to these systems ever.

These older systems use RS232 serial and IEE 488 parallell ports not CAT5 Ethernet with TCP/IP.

Some Also use CAT3 Ethernet with IPX/SPX and or NETBEUI or EVEN XNS Protocol on MSDOS AND XENIX etc.

They were designed and installed more than 20 years before the internet was all the rage.

Report Unresolved Customer Service Issues
here

I do not work for Dell. I too am a user.

The forum is primarily user to user, with Dell employees moderating
Contact USA Technical Support

Get Support on Twitter @DellCaresPro

Diagnostics & Tools

My 7010 SFF purchased from Dell Leasing is a good desktop but I am stomped when I set it up for wifi since I moved and cannot use ethernet as previously. I wasted hours with a usb adapter working for a moment and needing to be reset for Gateway unavailable. I returned it to Fry's and got a new pci express card. There are no slots for the card. Just the longer ones and only two longer slots. How is that possible. I hope you can answer since support blew me off since out of warranty. I told them that I live near corporate and own 3 Dell computer. They could have cared less. Help me solve my mystery and help me quit wasting time on issue. Thanks in adevance!

@austexjam1 wrote:

My 7010 SFF

1. for wifi since I moved and cannot use ethernet as previously.

2. I wasted hours with a usb adapter working for a moment and needing to be reset for Gateway unavailable.

3. I returned it to Fry's and got a new pci express card. There are no slots for the card. Just the longer ones and only two longer slots. How is that possible.

1. At this point, it would probably be better to go ahead and run a proper wire.

2. You can try a better one. Netgear is good. Driver support will be better on Windows-10/64bit.

3. As long as it is PCIe, you can install a short (x1) PCIe card in a longer (x4, x8, x16) PCIe slot if you want to.

Latest Solutions
Top Contributor