neuronetv
6 Indium

7010, dead PSU?

I have a Optiplex 7010 with a dead PSU. Power surge caused it I think. The PSU is model: ac240as-01. I'm handy with a soldering iron and I'd appreciate any advice about which component is most likely to be the culprit. Most of the time its a capacitor but there are several. To the experienced repairer it's usually a particular capacitor. I can't see a fuse anywhere. Thanks for any help.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
10 Replies
8 Krypton

Re: dell 7010 dead psu

Buy a new power supply.. Be aware that power surges usually damage more that just the psu. Consider replacing the computer before spending too much on replacement parts. 

0 Kudos
neuronetv
6 Indium

thanks but another psu costs as much as another tower whereas a capacitor or component costs only a few pence. I know its the psu because I swapped it with a working one and now the tower works fine. I would like to repair the psu.

0 Kudos
8 Krypton

JNPVV OptiPlex 7010 SFF Power Supply AC240AS

Schematics and Pinouts are never provided.

You can be killed by the voltage inside a power supply.  :Surprise:

Report Unresolved Customer Service Issues
here

I do not work for Dell. I too am a user.

The forum is primarily user to user, with Dell employees moderating
Contact USA Technical Support

Get Support on Twitter @DellCaresPro

0 Kudos
neuronetv
6 Indium

thanks for the huge red warning. I pull the mains plug out before I dismantle any power supply. No really.

0 Kudos
8 Krypton

The issue is that when you disconnect all cables the high voltage Filter capacitors inside can hold enough of a charge to stop your heart in the same way that a defibrillator does.  This is not a joke. More than one thousand people are killed each year in the U.S. due to electric current, and several thousand more are injured.  Current flowing inside the body can cause deep burns and cardiac arrest. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4F2J1Dkf4Is

here

0 Kudos
Highlighted
neuronetv
6 Indium

please understand, I'm not a child. I don't need huge loud warnings about fixing a psu. I've repaired many a device in the past and done plenty of soldering. Would you please now stop with the wailing and warnings of impending death. Enough already. I just want some advice about which component is most likely to be the problem.

8 Krypton

There is no advice forthcoming due to the liability aspect.  Power Supplies are not user serviceable.  This is also why schematics and pinouts are also not forthcoming.  They are never published.

https://www.utica.edu/faculty_staff/qma/powersupply.pdf

here

0 Kudos

Due to safety concerns, Dell does not repair PSU (power supply unit) or have PSU disassembly documentation. Our policy has always been to exchange them while inside the purchased three year warranty period.

Social Media Support
#IWork4Dell
Technical Support (Desktops, Monitors, Laptops)
0 Kudos
neuronetv
6 Indium

ok thanks I'll try a different forum