1 Copper

7010 gpu and psu upgrade

Hello,

I have a Dell 7010 that I am looking to upgrade to allow for gaming. Power supply is being upgraded to 750w unto but I am finding conflicting information on gpu’s that will both run and physically fit due to the mother board configuration. I am looking at an AMD rx 580 but it looks like it will not fit due to the power supply cable to the mother board. Are there any alternate GPU’s that would fit this mother board? Looking for a gpu with minimum of 4gb.

0 Kudos
9 Replies
Highlighted
5 Tungsten

Re: 7010 gpu and psu upgrade (no PC stated !)

MT, DT, SFF, USFF   what PC is it , there are 4 PC

your  only clue is the PSU

gaming at what level, 10,000 game exists.  always  say the game first. or the slowest of 100 owned.😁

what FPS do you expect from un named GAME, this be first, (what you need,. not what fits)

conflicting sure if you read posts on wrong PC why would you expect not? no PC stated at all .

you can in fact upgrade the MT with new proper PSU, sure can if an MT

you can put 1000s of models of GPU, endless,

Ive posted his vast time and so I do it one more time,  here is what others did and posted to benchmarks

17,000 hits, in fact,  amazing now,  and many of those have a new PSU,

Dell PCs, may have a ATX shaped MT PSU but have no ATX full set of cables

to fix that on any MT you just buy a real PSU, and use that

on the 7020mt or 9020mt an adapter is need. not yours.

why post lacking such a 1st thing key fact  , STEP ONE FAILED.

7010.JPG

nobody
0 Kudos
Highlighted
5 Tungsten

even my GTX1650 turing class fits in all my dells, even back to 790

why  not just buy card that is not too long 10" (245mm) or less and run it. (at new egg, they do returns ! )

buy it , try it,?

with card in hand if it has AUX ports, 6 or 8p or both ALL PINS must have power, yelloeblack or it fails, OK?

I can play any game  with above, on my 3020mt. (all dells here)

if you open the case, and look you see 10.5' long cards or less fit.

you can see that.  looked. first. with ruler in hand

the PSU real has 6 and 8 pin PCI-e cables sets. that run any card you can name.

I have  Corsair TX750W here, that is 25amps on both the 5/12vdc rails and 62 amps on the 12v single raid.

comes with this huge near endless cable bundle that will run anything you want. anything.

even my 300 watt   runs.  my test power hog card, just to see if all 3d apps run and do.

its now 2020

watch out for GPU cards that only run on new PC's,called UEFI class 3 (III) only cards,  the NEW PAIN begins now. 2020. 

there are some wild cards (12 makers 100s of models each)

some cards with special top SIDE (up)heat spreaders  that hit dells lame DDR BANK

MT actual 7010 , some folks run smaller sized PCs with external PSU. not posting photo of yours (not good)

gpu slotgpu slot

nobody
0 Kudos
Highlighted
1 Copper

I've been thinking of the GTX 1650 as an upgrade.
Will the default PSU be enough for the power hungry, or should I upgrade?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
5 Tungsten

Re: 7010 gpu and psu upgrade

What size is your PC and what CPU do you have?  A 75w GTX 1650, or the low profile version, will run on a stock PSU in the MT, DT, or SFF.  But is it the best to go with your CPU without bottleneck issues?  Don't know until we know what CPU you have.

s-l300.jpg

- Please kudos posts you like.
- Please "Accept as Solution" posts that are a solution.
- If you have an Optiplex, stating its model number AND size speeds troubleshooting. Components vary.

I'm a big fan of Dell, a Dell user, and not an employee. This forum is mainly user to user with occasional moderation or additional knowledge by a Rockstar or Dell employee.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
1 Copper

I have the MT model and the GTX 1650 that I'm planning to buy is this one:
https://www.newegg.com/msi-geforce-gtx-1650-gtx-1650-d6-aero-itx-oc/p/N82E16814137530

0 Kudos
Highlighted
5 Tungsten

Optiplex 7010 MT + GTX 1650 + YouTube List 

Optiplex 7010 MT + GTX 1050 ti + YouTube List 

I link the above videos because you'll see that the stock PSU's in the MT and smaller versions power 75w cards.

Another one in this forum might disagree with me on it, but he doesn't disagree with the videos themselves, other than he thinks videos don't prove anything. 😜  That same person did point out that the blue PCI-e x16 slot is for 75w cards.

Image will appear when approved by moderation:

Capture+_2020-06-29-19-21-33.png

- If you have an Optiplex, stating its model number AND size speeds troubleshooting. Components vary.

I'm a big fan of Dell, a Dell user, and not an employee. This forum is mainly user to user with occasional moderation or additional knowledge by a Rockstar or Dell employee.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
1 Copper

I have 7010 DT, i5-3470, 4gb DDr3 x 4, 7200RPM 3.5" HDD and a standard motherboard that comes with OptiPlex. Based on newegg.com my PC would use 265 Watts with a GeForce GTX 1050. However, my PSU is the standard 250 Watt supply that comes with the OptiPlex. 

So could you please help with queries? 

Firstly, do I even need to upgrade the PSU? (I know there are extremely conflicting posts online) if the GeForce GTX 1050 Ti OC Low Profile is added the PSU is 15 Watts insufficient. Is this likely to cause a great problem? I don't own a fire extinguisher for example.

Secondly, if I do upgrade the PSU (I'm a noob with PC builds), what's the difficulty level? And any thoughts around this would be appreciated.

Lastly, in 2020, are there any suitable GPU's comparable to the GTX 1050 that consume more like 50 Watts that would be a good alternative?

Yo - thanks for your help - peace.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
5 Tungsten

Well, I don't know enough about newegg to know how you got that assessment.  Is the 265w a.c. input or d.c. output?  A.C. input for the psu is rated at 4.4A x 120v = 528w max.

The best GPU to go with your CPU is the GTX 1050 ti (LP version).

Graphic card and processor will work great together:

Intel Core i5-3470 (Clock speed at 100%) with NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti (Clock speed at 100%) x1 will produce only 0.42% of bottleneck. - PC Builds

You saw the video links above.

If you want to go with a lower watt card, go with the 30w GT 1030 GDDR5.

Speaking of fire extinguisher, Dell and good name brand PSU's protect themselves from overloads by shutting down.  I wouldn't suggest or recommend a card that would knowingly shut down or overload your PSU.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
5 Tungsten

As for a PSU upgrade, the only way to do it on a 7010 DT is to have a PSU that sits outside the case.

0 Kudos