Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

September 27th, 2018 14:00

7050, HDD upgrade to SSD

Hi there.

I would like to upgrade the slow HDD on my Dell Optiplex 7050 to a Samsung 850 EVO that I have spare.

Can I just clone the HDD drive and plug the SSD in, or is there Bios settings that need to be changed too?

Thanks for any help.

47 Posts

September 28th, 2018 16:00

Thanks for the suggestions Guys.

I tried cloning with Macrium Reflect and setting AHCI, but I got  No boot device found, yet disk was listed in bios.

then tried EaseUS Partition manager with worked and booted, but the crashed.

Ended up doing the following.

Download Windows Media Creation Tool. burn Windows image to USB (16gb)

Set Bios for SATA AHCI (was set to Raid On)

Boot List to UEFI (was set at Legacy)

then booted to USB, installed new install to SSD.

Boot up times went from 12 seconds to less than 5 :)

Still a few more apps to install, but pretty fast now. I wonder if a M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD would see any real improvement.

Once again, thanks for the tips.

205 Posts

September 27th, 2018 15:00

Just make sure AHCI is turned on in the BIOS before you install the SSD.

6 Professor

• 

7.3K Posts

September 27th, 2018 15:00

As long as max storage capacity for your 7050 isn't exceeded, you should be able to just plug in the SSD.

If your 7050 is new or in warranty, for the best and timely service, please contact Dell Support direct.  Remember to scroll down after seeing the hurricane info page.

6 Professor

• 

7.3K Posts

September 28th, 2018 16:00

You're welcome.  Glad you got it and are happy with the SSD. :)

3 Posts

January 29th, 2019 10:00

Do the same steps that you indicated and I can not get through my 7060, are there any other tips?

3 Posts

January 29th, 2019 10:00

you have some more tips to perform the same operation ... for some reason in my optiplex 7060 does not work. there is no case that I take my SSD

6 Professor

• 

7.3K Posts

January 29th, 2019 11:00

Hi @jhuechan,

It sounds like your 7060 isn't seeing the SSD?

1.  Make sure the SATA port it's plugged into is turned on in BIOS under Drives.  You may need to turn on all SATA ports, restart, and turn back off any SATA ports not in use.

2.  If the SSD is brand new, you might need to format it.  Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Computer Management > Disk Management.  Right click on the SSD to format it.

May 4th, 2020 04:00

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kO5sL1FeCTU

I am a user like you, I have an optiplex 7060

6 Professor

• 

7.3K Posts

May 4th, 2020 11:00

Hi @jhuechan,

Well, it's been over a year.  Were you able to get it figured out?

My suggestion in #1 in my post above is outdated.  For starters, once updating BIOS in my previous 755, it finally auto detected things.  But its version of BIOS is different from newer models.

BIOS in my 7010 auto detects new hardware, but not Windows.  So if I add an HDD for storage, in BIOS, I had to uncheck it and click Apply.  Then recheck it and click Apply.  The HDD then showed in Windows.

No Events found!