Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 6th, 2018 13:00

7060, M.2 SSD, Windows 10 installation

I just received an Optiplex 7060 from Dell.  We always order our Dell PCs with Ubuntu pre-installed.  However, we delete the partitions, format the drive and install install Windows (in this case Windows 10 1803).  We never have a problem doing this.  The only difference with this computer from other computers we have ordered is that is has an M2 SSD installed.  There is no other drive installed.

I install Windows 10.  It appears to install however when the computer is restarted it says "no bootable device found".  I have tried changing several items in BIOS but nothing helps.  Any suggestions?  Please help!!!

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

March 6th, 2019 06:00

You have to use a USB DVD drive and install GPT UEFI (recovery, system, MSR primary) partitions.

LEGACY Booting is NOT an option.

My OEM System Builder DVD and USB DVD drive work on everything I have tried it on.    I have one disk and It works on every Dell I have tried it on.  Its very current double Layer DVD Build 1809

X20-19608

OEM System Builder COAOEM System Builder COA

Sata Operation must be set as AHCI not IRRT.

The type of M2 matters.

B keyed (SATA) I believe is not supported.

Windows 7 Legacy Booting is NOT supported.

OptiPlex 3050 support for PCIe M.2 SSD hard drives

Frequently asked questions regarding NVMe Solid State Drives (SSDs)

2 TYPES OF M22 TYPES OF M2

7 Technologist

• 

12K Posts

November 6th, 2018 14:00

2 Posts

November 7th, 2018 06:00

Thanks for the reply but still not working.  I've tried your suggested settings however Windows Boot Manager never shows up in BIOS.  However, I know that the drive exist because I can select it in the Windows installation.  Also, I had previously configured the installed Ubuntu OS.

I also followed the Dell link you sent.  Still nothing.  Further I watched the video.  Still nothing.  This is so frustrating!

I called Dell support and they pretty much said there is nothing they can do for me.  Urg!!!

2 Posts

February 22nd, 2019 14:00

Any resolution to this issue?

205 Posts

February 22nd, 2019 21:00

So are you totally wiping the drive to go Windows-only or attempting to dual-boot between the two OS's?

1 Message

March 6th, 2019 02:00

I install Windows 10.  It appears to install however when the computer is restarted it says "no bootable device found".  I have tried changing several items in BIOS but nothing helps.  Any suggestions?  Please help!!!

590 Posts

March 6th, 2019 12:00

Before starting the Windows 10 clean install process, I'd make sure BIOS settings are set to boot GPT as follows:

• Advanced Boot Options -> Enable Attempt Legacy Boot :  Off
  • Boot Sequence -> Windows Boot Manager : Make sure it's first if it can be selected
  • Drives : Make sure M.2 PCIe SSD-0 (or SATA target drive) is enabled

Start with a totally clean drive.  Don't just remove partitions or reformat the target Windows 10 install drive, but totally re-initialize it so it's not even GPT or MBR.  To do this, boot with the Windows 10 install media (USB, DVD, etc.).  Do this with the only drive in the machine being the target drive - having multiple drives can confuse the Windows 10 install (and risk deleting data in the wrong drive).  Warning: the following permanently deletes all data on the target drive:

1. Go through Windows 10 install screens until you get to the "Where do you want to install Windows?" screen
  2. Hold the Shift key and press F10
  3. In the command window this brings up type "diskpart" at the prompt (no quotes)
  4. Follow commands here to re-initialize the disk, starting with "list disk" and ending with "clean"
  5. Exit the command window
  6. Back at the Windows 10 install screen click "Refresh"
  7. Continue with installation

If, after the install the BIOS can't find Windows then go into the BIOS and try to reset where it boots from.  Un-select "Boot Sequence" -> "Windows Boot Manager" if it's there, Save, and re-select "Windows Boot Manager" as first boot device, Save and reboot.

If the above still doesn't work, I'd try resetting BIOS to defaults from BIOS menu (I'd make a note of all BIOS settings before doing this) to get it to re-detect boot drive.  If that still doesn't work, then I'd try resetting BIOS by removing coin battery (power down, unplug A/C, remove battery, press Power button for 30 seconds, re-install battery).

590 Posts

March 6th, 2019 13:00

...If the BIOS "Boot Sequence" has "Add Boot Option" and "Delete Boot Option", then with "UEFI" selected (if present), I'd try Deleting the existing (likely old) "Windows Boot Manager" and Adding it back (hopefully picking up the new drive).

1 Message

July 17th, 2019 05:00

I had the same proble the funny thing is if i still have the usb that i use to install O/S it boot the normal. if i take it out it said no boot is found.

January 28th, 2021 20:00

Helo there, first and foremost, Set the SATA/Nvme operation to ACHI/NVMe . The disable the secureboot. Set your boot device (is USB/Cd Rom) primary. It should work. I did on an Inspiron 13 that came with Windows 10 Home change to Pro. 

No Events found!