Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

May 29th, 2019 00:00

760 DT, Intel Core 2 Duo E8400, WIN 10 PRO X64 Errors?

Hello all!

My OPTIPLEX 760 is working GREAT so perhaps this is a non-issue?  I'm using WINDOWS 10 PRO, X64.  At issue is the  Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 @ 3.00GHz CPU ( 96 °F)?

The "Device Manager" reports:

"A driver (service) for this device has been disabled. An alternate driver may be providing this functionality. (Code 32)".

I am fairly sure the Driver(s) substituted and now installed are:

ACPI INTEL 64 FAMILY 6 MODEL 23 DUO CPU E8400 3.00GHZ ?

Online searches for this issue are like rabbit holes... way  too many to venture down so I hope someone in the Community can help?

Since the alternate CPU driver(s) appear to be working fine ~ should I just ignore those 2 CPU errors? 

Many thanks!

Anthony

Note:  As of 5-28-19  Win 10 install has been amazing and this 760  has received all Microsoft updates without  problems... In case you are thinking of upgrading to Win 10.

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

May 29th, 2019 07:00

As long as everything is working you can ignore the error message. The old 760 model is really not a Windows 10 computer but if you can put up with a few glitches like you have now and use only the generic drivers that windows 10 supplies, you can run Win 10. See your driver page to see why you are having problems with the old win 7 computer-only windows 7 drivers are available, not even win 8--

https://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/04/product-support/product/optiplex-760/drivers 

One word of caution--be prepared to have more problems with each big Windows Update now (the May 2019 update for instance) and in the future. I find that running win 10 on old computers eventually causes slowdowns that cannot be tolerated and possibly failures. After all you are running win 10 on a ten year old computer. It should not be recommended.

101 Posts

May 29th, 2019 10:00

Mary,

Your words are very welcome and I Thank you for your prompt, detailed reply!  

I'm using the original SATA 80-GB SATA as a 'backup' for Win 10 + drivers; now that all other drivers are 'happy'.

Now I can only hope a "poison-pill 10 update" won't end this fun!  Hopefully backing up all of my current working drivers will provide a 760 revival if that occurs.  

I remain delighted to find a fix for the first PCI Com Drivermy only other reported driver error.  The fix (apparently) is a HP Driver, but the DELL 760 electronics/design accepted it well anyway.

My 760 LIVES another day and I thank you again, Mary!

Anthony

No Events found!