wifen610
2 Bronze

760, messed up the boot sequence in BIOS

I did something dumb. I was in the BIOS (A03) and in the boot sequence and I tried changing the boot order and I hit a save when I should not have.  Now the computer is not booting properly.  Windows (10) does not load. I do not think it is trying to boot from the hard drive. I went in to try to readjust the boot sequence, but there are less items there than before I tinkered with it.  I am skilled at getting to the sequence and moving around, but not much else. I hope this is something I can simply undo.  The system is pretty much the way it was coming out of the box.  I have never toyed with it before. I think I simply messed the boot sequence. How can I get back to what I had an hour ago?

0 Kudos
8 Replies

Re: Optiplex 760 **bleep** up the boot sequence in BIOS. Hel

Hi wifen610,

If you haven't changed the settings previously, all you should need to do is select the "Load Defaults" option at the bottom of the screen. That will reset everything to how it was originally.

DELL-Alasdair R
Social Media Support
#IWork4Dell
I'm based in the UK and I'm usually available Monday to Friday 10am-5pm GMT (BST)
Get Support on Twitter @DellCaresPro

0 Kudos
7- Thorium

AHCI vs ATA vs Raid vs IRRT in SATA Operation is the likely problem.

You have to set this back to what it was before it will boot.   Also these models will stop booting when the cmos battery Duracell DL2032 dies.

Report Unresolved Customer Service Issues
here

I do not work for Dell. I too am a user.

The forum is primarily user to user, with Dell employees moderating
Contact USA Technical Support

0 Kudos
wifen610
2 Bronze

I tried Load Defaults and I am pretty sure it is not how it looking before I messed it up. Now, the boot order seems to be, Onboard or USB Floppy Drive, USB Device, SATA0-WDC WD2500YS-01SHB1, Onboard or USB CD-ROM Drive.  If I hit the F7 hotkey Onboard SATA Hard Drive Appears.  I am not real clear what the F7 key does.

0 Kudos
wifen610
2 Bronze

I also get a windows stop code stating--inaccessible boot device when the blue screen comes up.

0 Kudos
wifen610
2 Bronze

I might also add that I pulled the hard drive and put it into another system and I am able to load Windows.  So, I do not think it is a major Windows issue.

0 Kudos
wifen610
2 Bronze

Where do I check and do the AHCI vs ATA, etc.? I do not know what it was before.

0 Kudos

Hi wifen610,

SATA0-WDC WD2500YS-01SHB1 is the HDD that you want to boot to, so put that to the top of the boot order. If it still doesn't boot, AHCI and ATA can be found in the BIOS/setup (keep tapping the F2 key at start-up) listed under Drives > SATA Operation. Try changing the settings there and see if that helps.

Let us know how you get on, thanks.

DELL-Alasdair R
Social Media Support
#IWork4Dell
I'm based in the UK and I'm usually available Monday to Friday 10am-5pm GMT (BST)

0 Kudos
wifen610
2 Bronze

I have eventually succeeded. I kept going in to mess with the the boot sequence. I kept going back only to find that somehow USB Device was at the top of the boot sequence. I am not sure how it kept getting there. At some point I just realized that I ought uncheck that box and only have the Hard drive checked. Finally it started to boot to Windows. But, then it was having problems loading Windows. It did the preparing automatic repair, diagnosing your PC, etc. Eventually, I got to a point where I could reinstall Windows.  I did that and it is working. I did not lose any data, although some programs and apps are missing. But, I can reload those.

After that ordeal I loaded the newest version of the BIOS.

Thanks for the suggestions.

0 Kudos