Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

161 Posts

December 28th, 2018 05:00

9010 SFF, no post

I have a OptiPlex 9010 SFF that's been sitting around for a while and would like to put it to use or sell it after it is fixed, if possible. I would hate to tear it down and sell off the parts as it is still in good shape and better than anything I'm running now. I'm not very good at fixing Hardware because it seems to take more knowledge about how to use a Multimeter and and other electronic stuff I don't understand.

Main Symptom:  When it is Unplugged and then plugged in again, the Two fans comes on briefly and then shut off, which I think is a good clue as to what is gone bad, if anything. My opinion is the MB, but I'm not all that knowledgeable.  Perhaps it could be the Power Supply or the Power Switch.  I've seen Power Switches go bad and make a computer come on when plugged in, but not in this way.

I did most of the cursory testing from a Linux Live USB. 

Running in Legacy with all the appropriate choices selected.

I put it through all the Dell Diagnostics with no issues.  Even downloaded the Dell Support Assistant and ran that.  I don't think this issue is going to be diagnosed by any of these tools though.  The only thing I have not done is the online diagnostics, and again that is because I don't think they will help.

At first, I tried to boot from a Linux Flash Drive to test out the Hardware but did not see the Temp Boot Order that I'm used to seeing on Dell when Pressing F12. Eventually I figured out that if I changed to boot order and the USB boot device at the top, Rebooted, and waited till I got to a Black Screen that provided a three different options.

I tried setting BIOS to Defaults which did not work. I then looked and some version of RAID was Enabled, so I set it to AHCI, and tried ATA also. Either way could not get the Temp Boot Order to come up once after many many reboots.

I then thought maybe the BIOS was corrupt, so Flashed to BIOS Successfully from Hirens Boot CD to the newest one. Same situation, no Temp Boot Order.  Then after another reboot I got the Normal Temporary Boot Order at F12! finally success.

The only issue now is the Fans Still come on when First Plugged In.  I really think this is an indication that something is wrong, and don't want to bother keeping or selling it if it is not all functioning properly.  I have too much invested in my personal computers to switch over to this one if it is not 100%, and in the same instance, don't want to sell it to someone that will have issues down the road.

I don't know where to go from here so any help would be appreciated. 

40 Posts

January 4th, 2019 05:00

This year, I've bought several 7010 and 9010 for relatives and myself including one 7010MT, two 9010MT, and one 7010DT. The fan always spins up for a second as soon as power cord is inserted.

fwiw, 'smart4' on this reddit post bought a 7010 SFF motherboard to fit into a generic ATX case. They observed the fan spins up briefly when power cord is inserted too.

https://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/comments/98y8x2/optiplex_7010_9010_motherboard_transplanting/

As long as the computer stays OFF after inserting the cord and initial spin of the fan, all should be fine.

I recently bought a 7010 USFF which does the same, but I think this has a bios fault causing it to power up 5 seconds later regardless of bios settings.

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

December 28th, 2018 15:00

A new working unit thats a tower can use the CPU and RAM and hard drive os etc.

Time to scrap the rest.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Dell-Optiplex-9010-PC-Tower-with-Intel-Core-i5-3470-3-20GHz-4GB-RAM-250GB-HDD/382526302934

7 Technologist

• 

12K Posts

December 28th, 2018 15:00

Any beeps when you start the system? And you say it sat around for a while? Pull the CMOS (coin cell) battery from the motherboard and leave it out for 15 minutes (Intel recommends 30). Now instead of inserting the old battery back into the system, install a new battery. If you ran it through diagnostics and everything passed then hard to believe the motherboard is bad.

161 Posts

January 2nd, 2019 15:00

Can someone help me with finding the Schematic for this MB?

Dell Motherboard 051FJ8

6 Professor

• 

7.3K Posts

January 2nd, 2019 19:00

Dell is very proprietary and did not release MB schematics.  If it helps, layouts are in their tech guides and owner's manuals.

Optiplex 9010/7010 SFF Owner's Manual.pdf

161 Posts

January 3rd, 2019 11:00

@bradthetechnut, thanks Brad.  I did see that after some looking, but you never know if what is said in a Forum is true either, so thanks for confirming that.  

I've decided no to get a MB even if I could diagnose it, but would attempt a fix if I knew what to do.  I will need to find time to take it apart and look at all the connectors and were they go to.  I think it is the MB because when it is plugged in, any power should be sent through the MB before before it gets to the Fans, and for some reason it is briefly powering the Fans.  Either way it's no trouble, I will work on it until I'm annoyed, then strip it down and sell the parts (which is something I've never done) If I can't fix it, only because it is an i7 with some good RAM.

Thanks again guys, still open to ideas if someone comes along that has had a similar issue.

161 Posts

January 3rd, 2019 12:00

Maybe someone would answer one question if possible.  What exactly is the #3 "Power Connector" for?  I thought all the power supply came in via the #10 "system power connector"?  Sorry, can't figure out how to insert the page this is on Manual. Page #38

System Board Components.PNG 

Since I've been sick I won't get to this for a while, but it won't hurt to gain a little knowledge prior to diving in.

40 Posts

January 3rd, 2019 15:00

fwiw, when you plug AC power cord into any 7010/9010 MT/DT/USFF and I believe SFF, it is normal behaviour for fan to spin up for 2 seconds then go silent. Then you have to press the Power button if you then wish to start up the PC.

6 Professor

• 

7.3K Posts

January 3rd, 2019 18:00

@User1190,

Nice of you to say "thanks."  You're welcome btw.

The above post is the same for my 755 MT.  I also have the same power connector on my MB.  It's wired straight to the PSU.  I don't know if it's the same connection the MB uses to control the PSU.

161 Posts

January 4th, 2019 05:00

@Bill-UK wrote:

fwiw, when you plug AC power cord into any 7010/9010 MT/DT/USFF and I believe SFF, it is normal behaviour for fan to spin up for 2 seconds then go silent. Then you have to press the Power button if you then wish to start up the PC.

That would be great to hear Bill, can I ask how you know this to be true? 

I see you have a few other Optiplex machines so I guess you experience this yourself on the 7010?  But have you seen this on other machines.  I ask because your 7010 is also having possible power supply issues.  I also cannot find anyone else who is experiencing this, which I find quite weird on a Dell forum also.  I've searched the web extensively and still nothing to tell me it is normal behavior.  I've also repaired  quite a few pc's over that last few years but don't do it full time, and have never seen this symptom.

Thanks for the input.

161 Posts

January 4th, 2019 06:00

That was some incredible feedback Bill-UK, I really do appreciate that!  Looks like a got a good 9010 on my hands then and am very happy about that.  I will pull it out soon and put some more hours on it to see if there are any other issues.  I love these SFF Pc's, they are really cool and take up such little space.  I don't need multiple drives etc, but do like all the USB 3.0 Ports on the Front and Back, this will be a very good pc once I get a Drive Caddy for it, which I have another thread for.  Right now have a 2.5 inch drive in there supported with some closed cell foam.

user1190

40 Posts

You're welcome. The 7010/9010 are very affordable used Dells when partnered with SSD boot drive. The reason why I buy these too is because they are the first generation of Dells to offer front USB3 sockets. (If you use Windows 10, I've observed the USB3 sockets can go to sleep and refuse to wake up. Off the top of my head, go into Device Manager, USB3 Host and uncheck the Power Saving option) Later Dells with Haswell CPUs seem to be a lot more expensive at the moment.

I believe the standard 3.5" hard drive caddy for the SFF is the same as used in the MT cases. As you may have discovered, a 2.5 to 3.5 adapter caddy is also required and these are hard to find on eBay.

fwiw, a crude DIY caddy solution for a single 2.5" drive, is to ditch the existing 3.5" plastic caddy. Then cut a piece of 7mm thick MDF (eg. laminate flooring) into a rectangular shape to slide into the metal drive cage.

I've posted some photos here:

https://www.dell.com/community/Optiplex-Desktops/Hard-drive-caddy-3-5-to-2-5-bracket-adapter/m-p/6245696#M30568

161 Posts

Can I not Give Kudos after Accepting a Post as "Solution"?

161 Posts

January 4th, 2019 07:00

Again, a wealth of information, thank you very much.  I absolutely love these Dell Optiplex pc's, and the SFF even more.  Really good to know that Windows 10 trick for the 3.0 Ports.  I saw some 2.5 to 3.5 adapter caddy's on ebay, but yes only a couple I think.  

I don't have much in the way of tools to create thing like I used to.  Like you I would design all types of things/tools for various projects, computer and otherwise.  But had some health issues and living in a very moderate dwelling with no space or tools, not to mention with my poor health it is harder to do these things.

You pictures are missing from that Link.  I wish I could design one of my own, I love designing stuff.

40 Posts

January 4th, 2019 08:00

hmm, I can see the pictures in the link. But if I log out, the pictures are replaced with triangular icon.

Update:  pics now visible a few  hours later when I rechecked. May be Dell vet the pics before making them public?

No Events found!