Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

161 Posts

December 28th, 2018 05:00

9010 SFF, no post

I have a OptiPlex 9010 SFF that's been sitting around for a while and would like to put it to use or sell it after it is fixed, if possible. I would hate to tear it down and sell off the parts as it is still in good shape and better than anything I'm running now. I'm not very good at fixing Hardware because it seems to take more knowledge about how to use a Multimeter and and other electronic stuff I don't understand.

Main Symptom:  When it is Unplugged and then plugged in again, the Two fans comes on briefly and then shut off, which I think is a good clue as to what is gone bad, if anything. My opinion is the MB, but I'm not all that knowledgeable.  Perhaps it could be the Power Supply or the Power Switch.  I've seen Power Switches go bad and make a computer come on when plugged in, but not in this way.

I did most of the cursory testing from a Linux Live USB. 

Running in Legacy with all the appropriate choices selected.

I put it through all the Dell Diagnostics with no issues.  Even downloaded the Dell Support Assistant and ran that.  I don't think this issue is going to be diagnosed by any of these tools though.  The only thing I have not done is the online diagnostics, and again that is because I don't think they will help.

At first, I tried to boot from a Linux Flash Drive to test out the Hardware but did not see the Temp Boot Order that I'm used to seeing on Dell when Pressing F12. Eventually I figured out that if I changed to boot order and the USB boot device at the top, Rebooted, and waited till I got to a Black Screen that provided a three different options.

I tried setting BIOS to Defaults which did not work. I then looked and some version of RAID was Enabled, so I set it to AHCI, and tried ATA also. Either way could not get the Temp Boot Order to come up once after many many reboots.

I then thought maybe the BIOS was corrupt, so Flashed to BIOS Successfully from Hirens Boot CD to the newest one. Same situation, no Temp Boot Order.  Then after another reboot I got the Normal Temporary Boot Order at F12! finally success.

The only issue now is the Fans Still come on when First Plugged In.  I really think this is an indication that something is wrong, and don't want to bother keeping or selling it if it is not all functioning properly.  I have too much invested in my personal computers to switch over to this one if it is not 100%, and in the same instance, don't want to sell it to someone that will have issues down the road.

I don't know where to go from here so any help would be appreciated. 

6 Professor

• 

7.3K Posts

January 4th, 2019 16:00

Hi @User1190,

1.  You might have noticed I mentioned my 755 MT does the same thing - fans momentarily spiral up when it gets power.  I have blue l.e.d. fans in mine, making it easily noticeable.

2.  Yes, kudos can be given to any post you like, even after it was "Accepted as a solution."

3.  @Bill-UK's photos aren't missing from that link.  To see the photos, bookmark the post and sign out.  It'll kick back to the beginning of Dell Community, hence the bookmark.  You'll now see the photos.  Something like "@User1190" doesn't even show unless signed out.

6 Professor

• 

7.3K Posts

January 4th, 2019 16:00

Hi @Bill-UK,

Photos show as triangular icons until approved.

161 Posts

January 4th, 2019 17:00

@bradthetechnut, Thanks, that was very helpful. 

1. No, did not notice that about your 755 MT, or else I would have messaged you or something

2. The Kudos work now, must be another small glitch.

3. Thanks, I can see them now and are a big help.

I may just make my own Adapters because I already installed Windows 7 Pro on a Laptop Drive, so I would have to buy the 3.5 Caddy and the 2.5 Adapter, which is starting to get a little pricey for me with all my other commitments.  Should be easy enough to do somehow.  Don't have any power tools but I'll figure something out.

6 Professor

• 

7.3K Posts

January 11th, 2019 17:00

Best of luck to you and your health.  I hope it gets better.

161 Posts

January 11th, 2019 18:00

I ordered both the caddy and the converter, so we'll see what happens.

161 Posts

January 15th, 2019 16:00

Got my Caddy's today and going to install tonight.

I have one question that I asked once but not sure the answer was correct.  It looks as though this computer will house Two Drives, Page 16, if they are 2.5" Over and Under in the 2.5 Caddy, and there looks to be "Three 7 Pin SATA Connectors" on Page 57, both  HERE.   I have the SFF in case someone misses it in the Title.  I assume one is for the Optical Drive and Two other for 2.5 Drives?  And, how do I know if they are both 6Gbps?

Serial ATA:Small Form Factor three 7-pin connectors

And pg, 60

2.5-inch SATA drive bays
Small Form Factor two

Looks like I indeed have Two SATA Drive Connectors #13, and what appears to the be Power Source for the Drive #10?  I've never really known what all the different connectors did.  But now I see that the SATA is the Data Connection right?  And Number 10 is indeed the Power Supply?  Any help leaning this stuff is well appreciated.  I got my new pc up and running, the only drawback is the computer I was replacing it with has HDMI and this one don't.  I use the HDMI for my TV, which is a really nice feature.  I suppose there are adapters to go from Displayport to HDMI, but are they any good?  I may even have one laying around come to think of it.

Thanks, user1190

System Board Components.PNG

161 Posts

January 15th, 2019 16:00

I tried to edit may last post to make it more clear but it was not worth my time to fool with the silly interface.

EDIT: This site is still really glitchy, don't you guys agree, or is it just me?  Not a bad format now but still a little weird.  Got the Edit but it seems there is a little glitch in the Forum.

Thanks again guys.

161 Posts

January 15th, 2019 19:00

Another question if you guys don't mind. I installed HWINFO to see more about the SATA Capabilities and it says 'Number Of Ports' under 'SATA Host Controller' to be 6! Now that may or may not be true I don't know. What I would like to know is if HWINFO Reports only Drives Attached or all Connectors on the MB? Because I see the SATA Port#0 as the Drive that is installed at 6Gbps, and the SATA#1 of course at 1.5 for the Optical Drive. But what about the Port that is not being used? Again, will HWINFO not report the SATA Capability if there is no drive in there? I would hate to have to put a drive in there just to find out. I had a bit of a time getting the one I have in there, and don't really have another to spare at the moment.

6 Professor

• 

7.3K Posts

January 16th, 2019 21:00

What I can answer:

1.  I'm sure you remember SATA ports can also be viewed in BIOS.  So if HWINFO is telling you have 6 SATA ports...

2.  I'm unaware of SATA ports on the MB being different speeds.  It looks like HWINFO is showing you the speed of the item plugged into the SATA port (?).

3.0  Indeed, this site has it's glitches.  Photos, tags like "@User1190," and tables don't show while signed in.  To see them, one has to sign out and back arrow to the screen they were on.  I private messaged a moderator that sent it to web development.

3.1  It's frustrating that while doing this on Android, tapping to move a cursor makes the text and screen jump at least twice first.

3.2  The site has improved since I started using it about a year ago.

161 Posts

January 17th, 2019 07:00

@bradthetechnut wrote:

What I can answer:

1.  I'm sure you remember SATA ports can also be viewed in BIOS.  So if HWINFO is telling you have 6 SATA ports...

2.  I'm unaware of SATA ports on the MB being different speeds.  It looks like HWINFO is showing you the speed of the item plugged into the SATA port (?).

3.0  Indeed, this site has it's glitches.  Photos, tags like "@User1190," and tables don't show while signed in.  To see them, one has to sign out and back arrow to the screen they were on.  I private messaged a moderator that sent it to web development.

3.1  It's frustrating that while doing this on Android, tapping to move a cursor makes the text and screen jump at least twice first.

3.2  The site has improved since I started using it about a year ago.

1. I forget now how many were in the BIOS, but I did look...yes.  It doesn't tell SATA Type though, like 1-2-or 3.

2. That makes sense to me and is probably the Answer to my question.

3. Yeah, unless it's important it is a hassle logging out then back in for me at least.  The site was really bad and they changed it, now it is better but full of glitches lol

Thanks for your help, all is going well so far.  9010 has been up and running since Tuesday constantly.

6 Professor

• 

7.3K Posts

January 17th, 2019 12:00

https://www.dell.com/community/Desktops-General-Read-Only/which-Optiplex-systems-have-SATA-III-6-0/td-p/4774366 - There does seem to be a little confusion with it.  Looks like it has both SATA 2 & 3 connectors.

If it helps:  Optiplex 9010 Tech Guide.pdf

With the 9010 being newer and checking the Tech Guide, I noticed it can take SATA 3 HDD's.

161 Posts

January 17th, 2019 17:00

@bradthetechnut  That's a great find Brad, thanks!  speedstep really knows his stuff, so thanks to him as well!

I forgot about those Technical Guides, and I think that tells me what I want to know, 2 SATA-III Connectors!  I'm elated.  Once I can get the energy and money I'll put another drive in there and see what HWINFO Says also.  My health is not good, AND, got sick a few weeks ago LOL, double whammy for me and not worked in weeks till yesterday.  At some point will get a cheap SSD for it.  That Dell Caddy Converter as you may have seen, will house two 2.5 Drives in an over under layout.  The Power Connector is there already, and I have extra, new, SATA Cables.

Good stuff, thank you as always.  I downloaded the PDF, and taking lots of notes as I really like these darn Optiplex pc's!  

6 Professor

• 

7.3K Posts

January 17th, 2019 17:00

Cool.

161 Posts

May 27th, 2019 20:00

All is going well so far with the Optiplex 9010 guys, so thanks a lot.  Now just want to get a good SSD in there!  Problem is, I have to many other pc's I've spent money on SSD's for LOL.

6 Professor

• 

7.3K Posts

May 27th, 2019 20:00

SSD's are definitely worth it. :BigSmile:

No Events found!