Start a Conversation

Unsolved

A

5 Posts

April 16th, 2019 03:00

9020 SFF, replace HDD with 1TB, Windows 10?

Need to replace failing 500GB HDD with 1TB, How to move Win 10 from old to new?

2.5K Posts

April 16th, 2019 06:00

if the old HDD is good and pass all S.M.A.R.T tests,  and not corrupted, (I use Linux to test it 100% DISKTEST)

you can clone it to the new drive and will boot and run. for sure.

there are many free programs that can do this, for over 20 years.

the free Minitools  partition wizard works great, (google it, find them and use it) as can all other top makers of partitioning or backup software makers endless.

after the clone , the Recovery partition goes DEAD.  (the clone can not mirror the encrypted content of that, by OEM design intent )

I'd do a mirror backup first, , in my case, I just buy a real MS license then not have to worry all this LIC. stuff.

or upgrade to w10 even 64bit be possible if you have CORE(tm) processor. 9020 is core gen 4 and works.

you said failing so how can you clone bad data and code to new HDD or better SSD, and expect the cloning

to cure bad data, Impossible.

the cure is this.'

a new SSD

buy windows w10 best.

install it.

there is no other rational or safe way to do that.

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

April 16th, 2019 07:00

Make WIN10 install media via the Media creation tool.

Put new hard drive in and F12 boot from the WIN10 media and install.

It should not ask for a key.  If it does press the "I dont have a key" button and choose Home or PRO windows.

When you get online windows will be activated automatically.

The Direct Download Link to the Windows 10 Version 1903 Media Creation Tool is available here:

https://software-download.microsoft.com/download/pr/MediaCreationTool1903.exe

1903 is the Version that will be current as of April 30, 2019

Use a Drive DOCK EC-HD2B

to try to recover your data.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PxfuY49GSag

https://www.amazon.com/Sabrent-External-Duplicator-Function-EC-HD2B/dp/B0759567JT/

5 Posts

April 17th, 2019 15:00

Sorry for long delay, but another problem has cropped up, first a little history:

When my 5 yr old Asus was killed by a lightning surge I decided to buy a refurbished Dell OptiPlex 9020 instead of sinking $600 ~ 1000 on a new box, works great except wireless mouse & keyboard (Logitech K600 KB & 510 mouse) won't work reliably more than 8 ~ 10 inches from the receiver, tried KB & mouse on other computers, no problems, tried KB & mouse (same models) from other computers, same problem on this computer.

Any ideas before a landfill trip? :-(

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

April 18th, 2019 05:00

Low batteries on the wireless devices would seem to be the issue.  It works just not very far.

2.5K Posts

April 18th, 2019 08:00

answering for other issues, now wireless pesky mice.

1: sure weak batteries. the " two included AAA batteries "  fresh ones work best for max range !

2: but it is wireless and as such (it radio tech) and is subject to RFI, interference.

3: is it Bluetooth? or custom Logitech design? answer.... but both can fail, as BT has a short range and other BT Devices near by can overload this shared network.  yes it is BT.

one why to test this BT mouse is in a room with all other electronics is turned off like landline wireless phones, and well all things, not the PC under tests. OK, or learn to build a faraday cage? (lol)

even away from wifi that is active, test with no RF interference near by, then judge and only if batteries are fresh.

here is one post taking about this K600 , BT proof...

https://community.logitech.com/s/question/0D55A00007zaR0a/k600-keyboard-loses-bluetooth-pairing

5 Posts

April 18th, 2019 20:00

Again, sorry for delay, wireless problem was caused by ME running a Linux distro from a SSD in a USB3 external adapter (worked OK on my deceased Asus ???), anyway followed advice of @savvy2  & @speedstep and 1TB HDD is installed and seems to work great. Now I'm going to take a day off to uncross my eyes and beg forgiveness for all the cursing and pit fitching. Next mission is installing Linux distros (4 on the old Asus), Is the Dell Hosted recovery Image the best method? Will that prevent Windows from overwriting the grub bootloader or should I use my previous method of installing the distro and let Grub handle the bootloading?

Many TNX to all.

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

April 19th, 2019 04:00

Linux can be installed ALONGSIDE Windows.

http://releases.ubuntu.com/18.04/ubuntu-18.04.2-desktop-amd64.iso

Steps For Dual Booting Windows 10 And Ubuntu
  1. Create a  LIVE Ubuntu USB drive with casper persistence.
  2. Enable booting from a USB drive.
  3. Shrink the Windows 10 partition to make space for Ubuntu.
  4. Boot into Ubuntu live environment and install Ubuntu alongside Windows 10.
  5. Change the boot order to make sure Ubuntu can boot.

DONT REMOVE 10DONT REMOVE 10

5 Posts

April 22nd, 2019 11:00

Installation and cloning of 1 TB drive was successful, but now Win 10 does not see the DVD drive or USB portable HDDs, USB "sticks" still work. Neither DVD drive OR bootable USB sticks appear in the F12 boot menu. Help.

5 Posts

April 22nd, 2019 16:00

Retraced steps installing new HDD, found loose cable from  DVD to MB at MB, fixed and working now. If USB portable HDD drive is plugged in, File Explorer will not see it unless I go to disk manager and give it a drive letter, works after that but what keeps someone from unplugging while the drive is transferring data? There is no option to stop or unmount.

No Events found!