Highlighted
TimNguyen93
1 Copper

9020, black screen, no bios

When the power button is clicked, the fans all run, CPU is generating heat. The power led is white not flashing or anything. I simply do not have any visual.

I have tried the LCD BIST and the colors flash and it goes back to a black screen after it's done. 

I have also tired taking out the CMOS battery for 10 min and putting it back in. Booting up and same thing. 

I have also taken out the ram and only inserting one ram in the top. No visual. And then the bottom. No visual again. I can't get the pc to get into bios or show any signs other than the back light of the screen turning on. 

I've spent countless days on the internet trying to figure out what I can do and everything points to getting into the bios to update it but I can't see anything past a black screen! Please help!

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Tesla1856
6 Thallium

Re: 9020, black screen, no bios

Right, strip it down as bare as possible.

If PowerSupply checks good with digital-tester, I would say bad motherboard.

https://www.dell.com/community/Alienware-General-Read-Only/Alienware-Desktop-General-Hardware-Troubl...

Fixing computers isn't always easy. You won't know the exact problem until it's fixed (if you decide to go that far).

Registered Microsoft Partner and Apple Developer
- Like many of you, I can appreciate a good game-engine.
- I answer questions here, but I'm not a Dell employee.
- Consider giving posts you like a "thumbs-up"
- Posting models-numbers and software versions speeds trouble-shooting.
- Click "Accept as Solution" button on any post that answers your question best.
0 Kudos
fugiknucks
1 Copper

Just ran into this issue myself! Unplug and remove the following from the computer; all hard drive(s), cd rom, video card, external usb devices (except keyboard/mouse) and RAM. Use the built in video card to your display, if you're already utilizing that then you're good. Leave one Ram stick in slot 2. Boot her up and it should give you the option to go into Bios. 

0 Kudos
TimNguyen93
1 Copper

I have done that and the screen doesn't take me to the bios or anything. 

0 Kudos
fugiknucks
1 Copper

Have you checked to see if the mobo isn't fried? If it isn't and if it's giving beeping error then the steps I listed should take you to the Bios. Connect your computer via it's built in VGA to your monitor. Leave one memory stick in slot 2. Reboot your computer and it should give you the option to boot into Bios. Again, make sure every thing else is disconnected. You only want the monitor/mouse/keyboard/memory stick in slot 2 connected.

0 Kudos
TimNguyen93
1 Copper

I cannot tell which one is second slot in this AIO computer. Is it the upper or lower one? I have disconnected the cd drive and the hard drive. There isn't anything else for me to disconnect from the mobo. I've even swapped out the psu with a working computer to rule out a faulty psu not providing enough power. I've swapped out the RAM and still no splash screen or bios.

0 Kudos
erwan888
1 Copper

Hi Tim -

Just curious if you have found a solution yet.  I am experiencing the same issue like you.

0 Kudos
TimNguyen93
1 Copper

I ended up replacing the motherboard. I found a $30 one and replaced it. What I believe happened was that I lost power while it was updating and it corrupted the system. Clearing the cmos didn't help. After transferring the CPU, ram, and hard drive over to the new motherboard everything booted up normally and my data was still there. Hope you can find a replacement motherboard!
0 Kudos