Highlighted
RANDYSIT
1 Nickel

9020 not posting

Jump to solution

Everything was fine until this morning.  I installed a a BIOS update and restarted the PC.  I was away for about 40 minutes and when I came back the monitors were dark but the fans on the PC were spinning.

Thinking it was simply asleep I tried waking it to no avail.  A reboot had no effect.  Deciding it must have been a bad BIOS update I went into troubleshooting mode.

I disconnected power and all peripherals (including HDD).  No change.

Unplugged RAM, motherboard beeps now, a good sign!  Swap RAM around but to no effect.

Attempt to reset BIOS by moving the jumper from "PSWD" to "RCTRST" but to no effect.

Attempt to reset BIOS by pulling the CMOS battery but to no effect.

Get really frustrated and pull out a spare PC so I can at least get my work off of HDD.  HDD won't work in other PC just softly beeps every other second for a minute. Despair.

Search through plethora of posts about the 9020 booting but am unable to find an answer.  Can't boot to Dell's preboot diagnostics.  Can't get to BIOS to change boot type.  Can't boot at all, just the black screen, silently mocking me.

Any ideas out there?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RANDYSIT
1 Nickel

Re: 9020 not posting

Jump to solution

I went with ordering a new motherboard.  Sad that this one couldn't be salvaged.

0 Kudos
8 Replies
fireberd
6 Indium

Jump to solution

I don't know if this is applicable to the 9020, but here is the link to the Dell BIOS recovery procedures.

https://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/04/sln300716/bios-recovery-options-on-a-dell-pc-or-tablet...

I am not a Dell Employee

Dell forum member since 2002

Dell Inspiron 15 - 5577 Laptop

Home Built Desktop PC with ASUS ROG Z170, i7 6700K CPU

Windows 10 64 bit Pro and Windows 10 Insider Program Beta Versions. SSD drives. Cakewalk by BandLab and Studio One 4.1 Recordng Studio Software.

Dell S2719dgf Monitor

Member of Nashville based R.O.P.E.

0 Kudos
speedstep
6 Thallium

Jump to solution

Antivirus software can KILL the bios update just after it erases the bios.

Unless you can do a recovery this board is toast.

https://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/04/sln300716/bios-recovery-options-on-a-dell-pc-or-tablet...

Report Unresolved Customer Service Issues
here

I do not work for Dell. I too am a user.

The forum is primarily user to user, with Dell employees moderating
Contact USA Technical Support

Get Support on Twitter @DellCaresPro

0 Kudos
RANDYSIT
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

Hi fireberd,

That's a decent idea, sadly it doesn't work out for me.  Step 2 says to:

Press and hold the CTRL key + ESC key on the keyboard until the BIOS Recovery page appears.

Sadly holding Ctrl + Esc doesn't do anything for me.  Though that did help me find this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QrhrnGL7Eks

Sadly, I'm unable to extract the BIOS flash to even try this following the directions there.

I tested the power supply though this is a bit frustrating because it doesn't have the standard 20 or 24 pin connector for power.  Instead it has an 8 and a 4.  The 8 reads out as giving off 5V but the 4 pin doesn't register anything.

How to fix corrupted bios of dell laptops. At first it seems very complicated process, but it is not. Follow the process to fix your bricked Dell laptop.
0 Kudos
RANDYSIT
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

Hi speedstep,

Odd that Windows Defender would kill this but doesn't seem too unlikely.

Still not able to do CTRL + ESC and have any meaningful result.

0 Kudos
speedstep
6 Thallium

Jump to solution

Having a backup is never a bad thing.  This system is about the same cost as windows 10 pro.

https://www.amazon.com/Dell-9020-Mini-Tower-Certified-Refurbished/dp/B07JZ6PNMS/

Report Unresolved Customer Service Issues
here

I do not work for Dell. I too am a user.

The forum is primarily user to user, with Dell employees moderating
Contact USA Technical Support

Get Support on Twitter @DellCaresPro

0 Kudos
RANDYSIT
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

A spare PC is never a terrible idea but I'd really like to save the one I had if at all possible.  Where do I need to look on this thing to find the motherboard model number?  Potentially I could just replace that piece.

0 Kudos
RANDYSIT
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

I went with ordering a new motherboard.  Sad that this one couldn't be salvaged.

0 Kudos
fireberd
6 Indium

Jump to solution

Did 8you try to get one from Dell? (If qualified).  Here is their policy.

Dell Policy, BIOS breaks motherboard CMOS

In warranty customers
If a Dell Support representative directs you to update the BIOS, and it broke the motherboard CMOS, Dell will replace the motherboard.
Stipulations =
* The service itself could be either onsite service or Return to Dell Depot, depending on which warranty you purchased
If you updated the BIOS without any direction from a Dell Support representative, and it broke the motherboard CMOS, Dell will do a one time only motherboard replacement.
Stipulations =
* The service itself could be either onsite service or Return to Dell Depot, depending on which warranty you purchased
* We will then ask you to not install any BIOS update unless you contact us first and have us guide you
Out of warranty customers
If a Dell Support representative directs you to update the BIOS, and it broke the motherboard CMOS, you are eligible for a one time only out of warranty motherboard replacement.
Stipulations =
* This is a one time only offering
* This is a parts only service. Dell will not send on onsite technician
* Dell will only have motherboards available for 5 years from the original system RTS (Ready To Ship) date. If you are past this 5 year period, you will need to purchase the motherboard from a 3rd party seller
If you updated the BIOS without any direction from Dell Support representative, and the BIOS update broke the motherboard CMOS, you have to buy the replacement motherboard either from Dell or a 3rd party seller.

I am not a Dell Employee

Dell forum member since 2002

Dell Inspiron 15 - 5577 Laptop

Home Built Desktop PC with ASUS ROG Z170, i7 6700K CPU

Windows 10 64 bit Pro and Windows 10 Insider Program Beta Versions. SSD drives. Cakewalk by BandLab and Studio One 4.1 Recordng Studio Software.

Dell S2719dgf Monitor

Member of Nashville based R.O.P.E.

0 Kudos