Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 26th, 2019 09:00

Blue screen after installing SupportAssist

After working in my new IT department for the last six months, I've been encouraging the install of Dell SupportAssist on our Windows 10 machines, to ensure that the drivers are regularly updated and the systems monitored.

However, over the summer, we had a user who was getting very frequent blue screening.  Dell provided warranty support and replaced the logic board.  But the system continued to blue screen.  After wiping the system repeatedly, we finally started making the connection to the blue screen and Dell Support Assist.

The issue is now 100% repeatable.  When the system is running Windows 10 1803 or older, Dell Support Assist runs normally, no blue screening.  When the system is upgraded to Windows 10 1809 or 1903, the blue screening occurs within minutes of boot and the machine is virtually unusable, except for a few minutes at a time.  

However, this only occurs on certain models of Dells.  We have probably 50 computers with Dell Support Assist installed, fully updated to Windows 10 1903 and we've seen this same behavior on about four of them.  One is an XPS, another is an Optiplex 7040, and the rest I can't recall off the top of my head.  We simply uninstall Dell Support Assist and blue screening stops and computer operates normally.

I explained all of this to Dell and they wanted to replace the logic board again.  They really need to focus on their application instead of throwing parts at a computer.

3 Apprentice

• 

1.2K Posts

January 13th, 2020 03:00

@donm4599x thanks for the clarification. It's good to hear that there were no issues and apologies for the misunderstanding.

Alan

1 Message

January 13th, 2020 15:00

I'm sorry, but what does "Cue Mary" mean?  Google turned up nothing, and I'm baffled.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

January 13th, 2020 16:00

@ProtoTRR  - Just ignore bradthetechnut's nonsense. 

He was making a stupid and unnecessary joke at the expense of Mary G who's one of the long-time volunteers and a Rockstar on this forum.

And it's not worth explaining...so just forget about it.

6 Professor

• 

7.3K Posts

January 13th, 2020 17:00

@RoHe,

If you're going to have a superb reaction at a little joke about somebody regulalry advising to get a new computer vs. fixing it (not everybody has a budget for a new computer, otherwise we wouldn't need this forum) because it's almost always too old, then give credit where credit is due, as it was a borrowed joke from a post above.  But that you somehow missed?  A simple "ignore it" would've sufficed.

Due to the unexpected overreaction, joke was removed.

478 Posts

January 13th, 2020 20:00

Ditto. Sorry for any ruffled feathers.

January 15th, 2020 00:00

Hey @Dell-Alan D,

Thanks for the reply. First part of advice does not make a sense. Once I isntall Support Assist you get BSOD instantly. That's the core of issue.

Second part of the reply helped. What I did, I went to device manager, found my storage controller, right clicked & press update. It installed the latest driver without having to look for a driver on your site. THen, i could install Support Assistance withouth BSOD. 

Thanks for the help @Dell-Alan D 

• 

25.1K Posts

January 15th, 2020 00:00

We are pleased to hear that. We will be here if you have any queries or concerns. ^AJ

6 Posts

January 29th, 2020 18:00

Got problem too.  Confirm the problem, still not be able to solve. Dell xps 13 7390 i7 4k

No Events found!