Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 26th, 2021 22:00

Bluetooth not working on a PCIe slot

I have a Dell Optiplex 7070 SFF running Fedora. I have an Intel network card ax210 installed in the m.2 slot and it works, the only problem was that cables for antenas were too short and the only solution that I thought was to buy a PCIe adaptor and use the card in the PCIe slot.

Now the Bluetooth is not working, when I open the Bluetooth settings it says 'Plug in a dongle to use Bluetooth'. Wifi works.

I don't know where the problem is, is it software? is hardware? I have the Intel drivers installed

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

July 27th, 2021 12:00

@DELL-Chris M  this should probably be a faq or sticky for people wanting to upgrade older systems to wifi6.  its not a single ronco set and forget.

@r72019  has absolutely nothing to do with bandwith.  Has to do with the pinout for A E keyed M2 slot which is not the same as M2 storage slot for sata or PCI-E and the 10W power limitation of an X1 slot.

@f.laurentiu26  you must use x4 or greater due to the 10w power limit for X1

AX200 and AX210 cards have separate USB cable for the bluetooth side. Desktop kits include antenna wires and antennas. Thats only half of the issue.  The bluetooth is USB. Fitting in a slot does NOT mean working.  A & E keyed 2230 slot is VERY specifc.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07ZVYKRW9

INTEL WIFI6.jpg

Rails.jpg

ax2xx.jpg

You need adapter if its not A E KeyedYou need adapter if its not A E Keyed

Its NOT Mini PCI-E and its not standard M2  B & M Key its  M2 A & E keyed.

You cannot insert into an X1 slot

You put the WIFI 6 card in this

ADAPTER.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07WBXP632

Then put AX210 M.2 A/E  WiFi Card in M.2 Key M Adapter 

Then put the adapter into the PCI-E keyed slot on this.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07JKH5VTL

The Bluetooth USB must go to a flexbay or similar port on the motherboard or be fed to the outside and plugged in that way.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07Q4QZW57

if you dont have flexbay headerif you dont have flexbay header

Bluetooth.jpg

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

July 28th, 2021 01:00

@r72019 

"My point/gripe was that virtually all the combo wifi card + pcie adapters currently on the market unfortunately utilize pcie x1 based add in cards."

Your point is moot. You can buy parts that allow a proper connection for the wifi and USB bluetooth. Got all the parts from amazon late May 2021 and they work as expected.

Thats why I posted the exact solution.

Real intel AX200 AX210 desktop kit

This is not FAKE knockoff that says AX200 on IT

speedstep_1-1627463484688.jpeg

BLUETOOTH.png

I then found out that it needs 2 Adapters to go into the Black X4 slot on a dell.

The first Adapter converts M2 2280 M keyed PCI-E to M2 2230 A E keyed M2 and comes with a USB cable for the Bluetooth Section as this is not available from ANY PCI-E slot.  Never has been.

The hardware IDs on the fake X1 cards are Fraudulent as well.

I'm not talking theoretical I use this device with Ubuntu and Windows 10. Its in an X4 25W slot.

M2 2280 M key PCI-E to M2 2230 A E keyed slot adapter with USB cable for the Bluetooth section of the card that needs a flexbay port or External to internal USB cable.

speedstep_0-1627463265228.jpeg

NVME PCI-E X4 Card to go into 25w black X4 slot.

The Bluetooth USB must go to a flexbay or similar port on the motherboard or be fed to the outside and plugged in that way.

WIFI6.jpg

DEVICE MANAGERDEVICE MANAGERDRIVERDRIVER

7 Technologist

• 

12K Posts

July 27th, 2021 09:00

You did not mention it but did you download the Intel Bluetooth drivers here? Also you can purchase extension cable for the antenna here which would allow M.2 installation again.

6 Professor

• 

5.3K Posts

July 27th, 2021 11:00

@f.laurentiu26 wrote:

I have a Dell Optiplex 7070 SFF running Fedora. I have an Intel network card ax210 installed in the m.2 slot and it works, the only problem was that cables for antenas were too short and the only solution that I thought was to buy a PCIe adaptor and use the card in the PCIe slot.

Now the Bluetooth is not working, when I open the Bluetooth settings it says 'Plug in a dongle to use Bluetooth'. Wifi works.

I don't know where the problem is, is it software? is hardware? I have the Intel drivers installed

The AX210 card is a combo wifi 6 card with wifi and bluetooth.  With a standard single lane 1x add in card with no bifurcation, wifi will go over PCiE, but you need a separate connection / more bandwidth for bluetooth 5.1.   So you'd need to buy a (standard) pcie add in card that supports separately routing the bluetooth data via the USB header on the motherboard.  Or if you have one, you need to plug in the USB cable to the motherboard header. That is why all the AC and AX wifi /BT pcie add in cards that you see have separate PCiE + USB connections.  The USB cable is for transferring the bluetooth data, the pcie lane is for transferring wifi data.  

6 Professor

• 

5.3K Posts

July 27th, 2021 13:00

@speedstep wrote:

you must use x4 or greater due to the 10w power limit for X1

Check out amazon, and do a search for "wifi 6 add in card," every single option on the first page of search results is a  PCiE X1 add in card, there are no x4 options listed there.  

Another thing to consider is PCiE 3.0 x1 transfer (985 MB/s) vs. wifi 6 max transfer (1200 MB/S), equals theoretical bandwidth cap/bottleneck. 

www.amazon.com/Ubit-Wireless-Bluetooth-MU-MIMO-Ultra-Low/dp/B07XM6XZ1F/

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

July 27th, 2021 14:00

@r72019 

those cards you refer are NOT wifi6 and they too require flexbay header for the Bluetooth.

REAL AX200 and AX210 cards use USB for bluetooth and REQUIRE at LEAST X4 PCI-E A E keyed M2 2230 slot. The bluetooth isnt working because the USB connection for BT on the card is not connected and will not be connected via PCI-E slot or M2  M keyed Slot.

Board Form Factor M.2 2230 A E keyed
System Interface Type Wi-Fi(PCIe), BT(USB)

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/products/sku/201974/intel-wifi-6-gig-desktop-kit/specifications.html

So again has nothing whatsoever to do with bandwidth and everything to do with what pins are available on A E keyed 2230 M2 slot.

I used the parts I linked with an official INTEL wifi 6 card in an X16 slot wired as X4 with the aformentioned PCI-E to NVME 2280 adapter and the NVME  M keyed adapter to USB and A E keyed adapter and it works correctly with linux as well as with windows.  No drivers to install it just works.

X1 Slot 10W

X4 Slot  25W

X16 Slot 50W to 75W depending on Max power combined for 3.3v/5v Rails as well as 12v 25 Amps Split into 2 rails with 18 amps being max for any given 12v rail.  Has nothing to do with power supply watts has to do with fire Safety standards for UL 94v.

Which key supports which signal transfer?
Key supports
Key B SATA
Key M PCIe ( x2 / x4 ) SSD
Key B+M SATA  SSD
Key supports
Key A PCIe (x2) and USB
Key E PCIe (x2) and USB
Key A+E PCIe (x2) and USB Header Separate from M2 slot

AE KEYZ.jpgB M KEYZ.jpg

M2 KEYS.jpg

Rails.jpg

wifi6 X1.jpg

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

July 27th, 2021 15:00

@r72019  I do read and I also know exactly what I am talking about.  I have clients who ordered the FAKE AX200 cards and they do not work because they are not actual AX200 INTEL cards.  Actual INTEL cards have Native Windows 10 drivers.  Nothing to download they just work.

"They are actually all advertised as wifi 6 pcie add in cards, and the pcie add in adapters all contain ax200 or 210 cards in the adapters if you look at the photo. "

While they say AX200 or AX210 thats marketing not specifications. They are fraudulently marked AX200.

Its like Fake GPU's they put that on there to fool users who don't know any better.

Referring users to those cards will not solve their problem.

REAL AX200 and AX210 INTEL based cards do not need driver downloads for Windows 10 21H1 or Ubuntu 20.04.2

I ordered an actual INTEL AX200 Kit.

INTEL WIFI6.jpg

I then found out that it needs 2 Adapters to go into the Black X4 slot on a dell.

The first Adapter converts M2 2280 M keyed PCI-E to M2 2230 A E keyed M2 and comes with a USB cable for the Bluetooth Section as this is not available from ANY PCI-E slot.  Never has been.

I then found that I did not have a flex bay USB connection so I ordered USB B to 10 pin Flex bay cable to run from outside to inside.

I then added the adapter to an adapter and adapted it to PCI-E X4 to M2 2280 adapter.

speedstep_0-1627426430519.jpeg

Then put AX210 M.2 A/E  WiFi Card in M.2 NVME  M keyed Not the SATA keyed B & M

Then put the adapter with wifi6 card mounted on it into the PCI-E keyed slot on this card.

X4 M2 Card.jpg

header.jpg

6 Professor

• 

5.3K Posts

July 27th, 2021 15:00

@speedstep wrote:

@r72019 

those cards you refer are NOT wifi6 and they too require flexbay header for the Bluetooth.

REAL AX200 and AX210 cards use USB for bluetooth and REQUIRE at LEAST X4 PCI-E A E keyed M2 2230 slot. The bluetooth isnt working because the USB connection for BT on the card is not connected and will not be connected via PCI-E slot or M2  M keyed Slot.

So again has nothing whatsoever to do with bandwidth

Yes, we've already established you need the USB header, that was actually the entire point of my very first post that you started responding too.  

They are actually all advertised as wifi 6 pcie add in cards, and the pcie add in adapters all contain ax200 or 210 cards in the adapters if you look at the photo. 

And that is also my point, so again there are bandwidth issues running wifi 6 over PCiE x1 add-in cards because the transfer speed of wifi 6 exceeds PCiE x1, you aren't going to reach the full potential and irrespective of the BT aspect.  

6 Professor

• 

5.3K Posts

July 27th, 2021 21:00

@speedstep  wrote:

I do read and I also know exactly what I am talking about.  I have clients who ordered the FAKE AX200 cards and they do not work because they are not actual AX200 INTEL cards.  Actual INTEL cards have Native Windows 10 drivers.  Nothing to download they just work.

The poster was all set. I'm not referring anyone to a specific product.

My point/gripe was that virtually all the combo wifi card + pcie adapters currently on the market  unfortunately utilize pcie x1 based add in cards. 

If you want to utilize x4 to gain the full potential, you need to purchase the card + adapter separately.  Because that type of product isn't readily available in the current market, and that will cost a substantial premium versus being able to fairly easily get a combo package for around $22 on the not infrequent prime sales.  I've purchased five AX200 and AX210 combos on amazon over the last three months, and I can verify they are not fake cards. 

They all work properly, are recognized in device manager, and Windows auto installs the drivers upon first boot, no disk is required. 

Most do include a disk, although there is no reason to use it nor have I ever used it.  I did look and the included disk only contains a copy of the intel driver (https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/30542/Windows-10-Wi-Fi-Drivers-for-Intel-Wireless-Adapters).  Presumably the disk is there for people who do not already have access to internet when they first install the wifi add in card. 

In any event, I haven't experienced any issues with the combo pcie x1 + ax210/200 packages, nor has anyone for whom I've recently built a PC with one of these cards, either with the bluetooth function or the wifi function. 

I am familiar with the 1050ti scams, much more money to be made there than a $20 card, but those are easy to spot upon driver attempted installation or even by removing the shroud/heatsink you can physically see it's not a 1050ti under there.  

These wifi 6 combo adapters, if you remove the heatsink there's an Intel sticker on the card under there (yes, I've checked that too). Anyway, I'm not promoting any specific product, couldn't care what people do or do not buy and I am not affiliated with any seller on amazon.  There are many different PCiE x1 wifi 6/BT 5.1 options out there.  I was just pointing out that these type of readily available products have been functioning fine for me.   Better even than the Killer AC card included with my Dell system. 

wifi.png

wifi 2.jpg

17 Posts

September 15th, 2021 04:00

This problem puzzled me, too. I've a wifi 6/bluetooth 5.1 pcie combo card. Wifi is working, of course, but I couln't find a F_USB port or a matching card reader port on the mainboard (Precision 3640). I was on HP workstations for many years and could just plug in the card (usb header on board) So I had to order one of those flexbay headers from China. It doesn't look tidy in the way it works, and one usb port is engaged by the flexbay. 

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

September 15th, 2021 05:00

@anamnesis57 

A & E keyed wifi will be seen in m2 slot but Bluetooth for AX200 or AX210 requires USB header.

It will have to be put thru a slot adapter that is modded from outside to inside.

Bluetooth.jpg

CRJ 9 Pin Header cable

HEADER CABLE.jpg

17 Posts

September 15th, 2021 06:00

Hello, yes, that's what I mentioned in my post. It doesn't look tidy with this flexbay, does it? But I will not shell out extra money for a m.2 wifi/bluetooth because my card is working fine. It's a pity that a usb 2 header is missing on the board. I'm happy that even Dell's 2021 workstations provide a vintage pci 32bit slot (my good old RME hammerfall needs it...) and even more vintage ps/2 ports for archaic mice/keyboards. A also old fashioned usb header on the board would be a nice addon. 

No Events found!