Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

E

January 12th, 2018 12:00

Choosing the most quiet SFF Optiplex

Hello,

I am in the process of ordering an Optiplex SFF.
I would like to have my PC in the bed room and therefore need the most quiet option.
1-  SFF 3050 from . (i5 7500 CPU, 8Gig Ram, 256 SSD , 1TB HD) (OP3050-5249)

2. SFF 7050 from . (i7 7700 CPU, 8Gig Ram, 256 SSD , 1TB HD)- (OP7050-7273)

Does anyone have experience with those in a quiet place?

Can you please let me know which would be the most quiet of both? is there a difference between both desktops in term of inside built of Fans , mechanic design or similar and is this model in general a silent machine?

from the below link (last page - db figures) I learn the 7050 can be potentially more quiet  that 3050 but I am not sure as the CPU speed tested in the PDF is different than the ones existing today in my above options.

http://downloads.dell.com/rdoc/dell%20optiplex%207050%20small%20form%20factor,d11s,d11s002,dell%20regulatory%20and%20environmental%20datasheet.pdf

thanks,

Eytan

January 15th, 2018 13:00

need an answer on this quiet Optiplex ... I can certainly say this forum is quiet....

January 15th, 2018 18:00

I think the 7050 would probably have a better build quality since its in the 7000 series and therefore should be quieter since I would assume Dell puts better quality fans in that one (unless they just reuse parts from all three series).

January 16th, 2018 01:00

thanks for your reply - I tend to agree with your estimation.

I was hoping someone with such a 7050 machine can testify whether indeed the sound level is small as we expect and whether this machine's noise is minimal and worth the price compared to the 3050 for someone who wants minimal noise.

Thanks,

Eytan

January 17th, 2018 01:00

Any "Dell" professional personnel in this forum?

How come this basic question that was routed to sales team, support team, pre sales team, chat  and then finally after instruction from them was posted here...and still not answered by Dell? over 15 days passed.

What kind of Pre sale organization is not able to provide technical information  for a potential customer who wants to place an order for the machine that best fits him?

I hope someone at Dell can comment. (i have several mails from Dell on that subject - all of them with no answer - just routing to a different entity..)

thanks,

Eytan

1 Message

September 11th, 2019 17:00

I have the same question.

1 Message

September 13th, 2019 19:00

We currently use Dell 3050 SFF at work and they are extremely quiet.  I have to put my hear next to the machine to hear the fan.  I bought a 5050 micro (i5 w/SSD) thinking it will be similar but I'm disappointed in the noise level for the micro.  It's too loud for me and the fan runs non-stop.  It bothers me to the point where I'm probably going to sell it and buy 3050 or 7050 SFF instead.  

2.5K Posts

September 14th, 2019 06:00

well noise is based on usage first.  unstated,

if you run games when you are in the bedroom and person #1 is asleep,  is that it ?  then you will cause the CPU and GPU to get hot, some get very hot, and your idea that 1 PC is just 1 model is wrong, many PCs have choices on low powered CPU and low powered GPU. (card) and if you tax either the fans speed up, and noise happens,  and GPU options or no GPU card opted, GPU cards all make noise and some more than others.

Just like a car to make it quieter drive slower, same with computing , do not run applications that need full CPU power. and the CPU does not get hot and the fans stay OFF or run super slow. (and very quiet)

this is the job of the fan, to get the heat out of the PC. (IF THE BED ROOM IS 94f DEGREES, ALL BETS OFF)

the most quite PC would  be,  a large PC,   not tiny sff, the large PC can spin large slow fans,  that no SFF can do.

Large fans move more air with less RPM (CFM is higher at lower RPM) this makes less noise, and the fans them selves can be had that make even less noise, special BLADE shapes DO THAT. ( end less choices on desktops and zero on SFF) oK?  SFF means limits on improvements.

now we have the SPEC< Each PC has a spec, paged, that tell you the acoustical noise level.

did your read that and compare?  (yes dell makes that IDEA super hard, even deleting books that had that)

Also the better PC's, I can control all fans in the PC with the built in fan controller, to keep them quite until needed.

if you want hear small fans scream listen to R410 server.  sounds like deck of an AIRCraft carriers.

here is your first book,  the technical guide book 3020 PC. page 36 covers this, NOISE, levels.

note how distance matters is if all option fitted, (high end)  and of ODD is screaming Optical disk drive (DVD)

the sound level almost doubles with DVD inserted.

note the floor level is much quieter and not desktop  as the table acts like drum I guess. (YTMV your table may vary)

so 24 LPa is this PC for noise now look the others up, im too lazy to do that.

dell makes finding this out super hard all Guides technical are not list on the home page for optiplex.

but here is one .  3020 (mine is super quite MT version) PCs by deal can be up to 5 case version and AIO junk.

the SFF makes more noise CPU stressed. I see.  in fact 2 more dB noise, on SFF. same test.

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/956655/Dell-Optiplex-3020.html?page=50#manual

why dell does not offer these guides now is amazing to me. but  most  can be found using google.

now 7050 and dell forgot to spec out noise at all, zero facts on their page on this PC. google shows same zero.

why Dell did that is the great wonder,  acoustic  levels.

Good luck in your choice,  and why dell does not have product matrix, chart with top line marked, acoustics.

well noise is based on usage first.  unstated,

if you run games when you are in the bedroom and person #1 is asleep,  is that it ?  then you will cause the CPU and GPU to get hot, some get very hot, and your idea that 1 PC is just 1 model is wrong, many PCs have choices on low powered CPU and low powered GPU. (card) and if you tax either the fans speed up, and noise happens,  and GPU options or no GPU card opted, GPU cards all make noise and some more than others.

Just like a car to make it quieter drive slower, same with computing , do not run applications that need full CPU power. and the CPU does not get hot and the fans stay OFF or run super slow. (and very quiet)

this is the job of the fan, to get the heat out of the PC. (IF THE BED ROOM IS 94f DEGREES, ALL BETS OFF)

the most quite PC would  be,  a large PC,   not tiny sff, the large PC can spin large slow fans,  that no SFF can do.

Large fans move more air with less RPM (CFM is higher at lower RPM) this makes less noise, and the fans them selves can be had that make even less noise, special BLADE shapes DO THAT. ( end less choices on desktops and zero on SFF) oK?  SFF means limits on improvements.

now we have the SPEC< Each PC has a spec, paged, that tell you the acoustical noise level.

did your read that and compare?  (yes dell makes that IDEA super hard, even deleting books that had that)

Also the better PC's, I can control all fans in the PC with the built in fan controller, to keep them quite until needed.

if you want hear small fans scream listen to R410 server.  sounds like deck of an AIRCraft carriers.

here is your first book,  the technical guide book 3020 PC. page 36 covers this, NOISE, levels.

note how distance matters is if all option fitted, (high end)  and of ODD is screaming Optical disk drive (DVD)

the sound level almost doubles with DVD inserted.

note the floor level is much quieter and not desktop  as the table acts like drum I guess. (YTMV your table may vary)

so 24 LPa is this PC for noise now look the others up, im too lazy to do that.

dell makes finding this out super hard all Guides technical are not list on the home page for optiplex.

but here is one .  3020 (mine is super quite MT version) PCs by deal can be up to 5 case version and AIO junk.

the SFF makes more noise CPU stressed. I see.  in fact 2 more dB noise, on SFF. same test.

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/956655/Dell-Optiplex-3020.html?page=50#manual

why dell does not offer these guides now is amazing to me. but  most  can be found using google.

now 7050 and dell forgot to spec out noise at all, zero facts on their page on this PC. google shows same zero.

why Dell did that is the great wonder,  acoustic  levels.

Good luck in your choice,  and why dell does not have product matrix, chart with top line marked, acoustics.

LEARN THERE ARE VAST VERSIONS OF OPTPLEX, SOME OF  THE BEST ARE OLD. 3020 IS very quiet.

proof dell at one time did this RIGHT. (lower dB is better)

3020-ACOUSTICS.JPG

May 6th, 2022 14:00

Old thread, I know (and you may have already gotten rid of the machine)... but I'm thinking this may help someone else who comes across this post in the future -

I'm curious why no one ever replied and let you know you need to go into the BIOS and uncheck the "Override Fan Control" or whatever it's called in your machine's BIOS. 

If the Fan Control is *not* overridden, the fan will operate according to the machine's needs using the variable PWM voltage determined by the temperature sensors for the CPU.  It will be almost inaudible. 

But if the Fan Control Override box is checked, the fan will run constantly at 100% and will be like a jet plane about to take off, with constant noise. 

If you go into the BIOS and look under System Configuration, I believe it is, and look for the Fan Control screen, then **uncheck** the checkbox. That will quiet the fan right down. 

Also, some machines BIOS have a  **GPU Hardware Acceleration setting**. If your BIOS has this, ensure that it is *Enabled*. If this is disabled, the hardware acceleration function will be shifted to the CPU, causing the temperature to rise and the fans to kick in, as well. 

No Events found!