Highlighted
3 Argentum

Computer does not recognize disk

Jump to solution

Optiplex 755, windows 7

Computer does not recognize any disk.

Device Mgr says it is functioning

I uninstalled and reinstalled a newly downloaded driver.

Uninstalled and reinstalled the IDE/ATAPI controllers, as suggested by a MS article.

It shows up in bios and boot sequence.

I thought the DVD-ROM was defective so installed an identical one, TS-H353.

It doesn't work either.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
5 Tungsten

Re: Computer does not recognize disk

Jump to solution

@dorothyroeder, you didn't say anything that was "pirated."  You indicated early on that you're a novice and it doesn't look like some things were kept simple enough and/or it was forgotten that you're a novice.  So if by chance you still read this, there you go.

- Please kudos posts you like!
- Please "Accept as Solution" posts that are a solution.
- If you have an Optiplex, stating its model number AND size speeds up troubleshooting. Components vary.

Code of Conduct
TechSupport YouTube

I'm a big fan of Dell, a Dell user, and not an employee. This forum is mainly user to user with occasional moderation or additional knowledge by a Rockstar or Dell employee.

View solution in original post

47 Replies
Highlighted
5 Tungsten

Re: Computer 755 does not recognize disk(linux ) disk.

Jump to solution

does DISK MEAN DVD?

if yes post a photo of top side of all DVD disks,  millions exist some work some do not and other 1/2 the time is scratched or burned wrong,(burning a DVD-r)

you have windows 7 now, but will not boot, HDD bad? or RTC coin cell dead, sure will be this old., with new coin cell battery , you can then get to BIOS , turn off PXE boot, and boot to USB (not a DVD is too slow and problematic for most folks) and then fix the HDD.(if not bad)

run eSPA yet, if there.?  power on hit F12 see diagnostics, 755 is old not sure it is there, me.

HDD = hard disks drive, SSD means solidstate drive no motors.

nobody
0 Kudos
Highlighted
5 Tungsten

Jump to solution

you mean DVD,  say DVD disk for that, and HDD for HDD , or SSD for SSD.

ok

no Lunux told, no disk label no lunux URL link you your Linux page sources no photos of your disk.

and windows will not run a Linux, disk. (the Linux disk must be booted to install it)

all answer here, are very hard, do 1 fact, you not showing what is IN YOUR hand, no photos posted. of your

media or what is inside the PC.

and the HDD or SSD bought new does NO COME with windows on it. (ok they came erased of all things)

nobody
0 Kudos
Highlighted
8 Xenon

Jump to solution

Drives made after 2011 and larger than 120 gigs are ADVANCED FORMAT.

This means it requires Intel Rapid Storage Technology F6 Driver to install.

H79NK

Sata operation must be set to AHCI

https://dl.dell.com/FOLDER00679472M/26/DRVR_SATA_Intel_A01_H79NK_f6flpy-x64-setup_ZPE.exe

You have to run the exe or rename to .zip and extract the driver so that you can save to the root of a usb flash drive for install.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/952951/error-a-required-cd-dvd-device-driver-is-missing-whe...

A required CD/DVD driver device driver is missing. If you have a driver floppy disk, CD, DVD, or USB flash drive, please insert it now.

You cannot point to the exe file you must extract the files.

https://www.seagate.com/support/kb/error-installing-windows-7-on-advanced-format-disk-drives-218571e...

Report Unresolved Customer Service Issues
here

I do not work for Dell. I too am a user.

The forum is primarily user to user, with Dell employees moderating
Contact USA Technical Support

Get Support on Twitter @DellCaresPro

0 Kudos
Highlighted
3 Argentum

Jump to solution

a bit flummoxed by all the answers. novice here.

The dvd-rom drive is the only problem.

using windows 7 presently.

the computer will read windows installation disks, any version, but it would not read a linux boot/installation disk. won’t read ms program installers.

same thing with the new drive and the old.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
5 Rhenium

Jump to solution

The fact that you can read a Windows 7 or Windows 10 DVD means that the PC and the DVD-ROM drive is working.

I am not sure what you mean by read "ms program installers".  Which software programs DVDs are these?

If you are trying to boot from a Linux installation DVD, someone who gave it to you probably did not burn it right.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
3 Argentum

Jump to solution

I can use music disks and Windows installation disks. Not recognized are MS Office installation, and the Linux installation. Both of these will be recognized by an older Optiplex and will run just fine. Just not on this computer.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
5 Rhenium

Jump to solution

Are the ones that can be read CDs and the ones that cannot be read DVDs?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
3 Argentum

Jump to solution

The MS Office 2007 one says DVD on it don’t know about the other.

The linux disk is labeled DVD also.

Since I have finally to replace windows 7 I am trying Linux, if I can load it.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
5 Rhenium

Jump to solution

Check to see if the PC is new enough to be able to boot from USB. 

Then on another PC create the bootable USB. 

By the way, Microsoft is still letting people upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10 for free.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
5 Tungsten

Re: 755 (no case told) will not boot , some disks, (well that is normal)

Jump to solution

Photos are worth 1000 words, but on any  DVD,  the label there , we cant see it can we, nor be wise. can we.

no MS install disk media told (photos 10x better),  WE need to see the label of the disk or answers will be 99% wrong,l (try to understand 100 install disk 99 are wrong for this PC,so I CAN  NOT GUESS)

same with OFFICE photo posted or you disk, DVD< office.

same with linux no photo of your disk. (or sell selling it URL= their web site selling it. not told)

windows 7 32bit Is my guess you are running now, does it have all 350+ update (hard hard job that)

the Linux DVD is formatted only for booting ONLY, OK>? YOUR LINUX maker explains that,  on there web site.

Boot the DVD< (safe boot must be disabled in BIOS via F2) if present there.(seems not there)

the Office disk , you put into the tray and then click on the DVD in EXPLORER.

here is mine now 2007 Office DVD. (known good and working DVD, not badly burned DVD-r)_

see this , click setup.exe  and that is the installer.

2007.JPG

I am running it on w10-64bit no problem for 5 long years.

you asked  3 or more questions, but this is my weak attempt to answer in the BLIND>.

NO PHOTOS BY YOU, not once. of DISKS

nobody
0 Kudos
Highlighted
5 Tungsten

Re: computer basic basics 101 answers.

Jump to solution

Are the ones that can be read CDs and the ones that cannot be read DVDs?

they are called optical disk drivers now.

they can read CD or DVD or Blueray

the latter drives can read the older media,  CD and DVD.

DVD can read CD.

I have blueRay in mine and comes with a manual  and lists vast kinds of media supported

like this (I do not have your full optical drive sticker data facts to know )

LG example modern.  A drive that burns disks costs more and is MORE.

See why when you say the word DISK it means zero,  this list proves that fact.

all old disks get scratched or the drive optics packed in lint ever clean the DRIVE? DVD? be wise to... !!!!

BRD.JPG

this is a DISK or optical DISK,.

if burning disks and not using top brands, they can fail in any possible why, even STALL.

nobody
0 Kudos
Highlighted
5 Tungsten

Jump to solution

the computer will read windows installation disks, any version,

but it would not read a linux boot/installation disk. (windows can not read LINUX formatted disk, this is normal)

TO INSTALL LINUX you must BOOT THE DVD or the USB stick with the Linux installer present.

won’t read ms program installers (the MS disks is bad, or burned wrong or scratched, to the old DVD drive if dirty inside, make its optics parts fail, or weak.) NO photos of any OMD, optical media disks shown by you here.

show your disk tops, photo them and post them  and magic can happen asking the blind for help, is never good.

nobody
0 Kudos
Highlighted
5 Tungsten

Jump to solution

Im stuffing disks in to my PC and they  don't work

I don't' know why,  well nether can we, we cant see your actions, and some are wrong.

and cant see your disks , no we cant and can be formatted vast ways and done wrong vast ways. sure can.

we cant see your DISK labels (optical disks) no we can not.

see all these disk, ? formats?

they are real,  Ignore the BD first media, there, blueRay DISK. BD.

see those, you PC may allow some of those but not all.

This is why smart techs never use DVD, due to not supported types,

they use USB>.sticks. we boot those. only now. I think your PC supports USB fully.

BRD.JPG

nobody
0 Kudos
Highlighted
5 Rhenium

Jump to solution

I do not believe that it is as dramatic as that Windows 7 is infected.  I have Windows 7 and it is certainly not infected.

It appears that the PC will boot a Windows 7 DVD but will not boot a Linux DVD so that Linux can be installed.

This leads me back to my original belief that the Linux DVD was not burned correctly and is therefore not bootable.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
3 Argentum

Jump to solution

What about the MS Office 207 that is not recognized either. works fine on 

As I said, the Linux disk does work on my really old Optiplex, GX620. That is why I thought about switching the dvd drives. 

The Linux disk also installed on an old HP which happens to have the same model of dvd drive as the Optiplex that is not working

0 Kudos
Highlighted
5 Rhenium

Jump to solution

Dorothy,

Your posts are very confusing.

Are you trying to boot ?  or something else?

I am very confused.

Just go and create a bootable USB flash drive with Linux on it and be done with it. https://softlay.net/operating-system/create-windows-7-bootable-usb-install-disk-drive-iso.html

0 Kudos
Highlighted
5 Tungsten

Jump to solution

Hi @dorothyroeder,

So Linux and MS Office 2007 work on the GX620, but not the 755.

Is the optical drive in your 755 only a CD-ROM or burner (CD+-RW), or is it a DVD-ROM or burner?

I would still go with @nyc10036's suggestion with making a bootable flash drive with Linux.  I think there was an oops - link given is for Windows.

- If you have an Optiplex, stating its model number AND size speeds up troubleshooting. Components vary.

Code of Conduct
TechSupport YouTube

I'm a big fan of Dell, a Dell user, and not an employee. This forum is mainly user to user with occasional moderation or additional knowledge by a Rockstar or Dell employee.

Highlighted
3 Argentum

Jump to solution

The new dvd player I bought writes, the original just reads. In case you missed it they both do the same thing.

I looked into making a bootable usb, but the iso has to be downloaded from dos and I cant use dos on library computers. I have very limited data per month so I do most downloads there. Not sure I could I download it using dos on the old GX 629 using the disk. I could try I guess. The only alternative is buying one already made.

The MSOffice Office was originally installed from the disk that won’t work now. I just wanted to do a repair.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
5 Rhenium

Jump to solution

Since you are on a PC in a public library which limits the things you can do and the programs you must use, you should just buy a USB with the flavor of Linux you want. I suggest Linux Mint . I am hoping that whichever PC you are using has at least 4 GB of RAM. .

0 Kudos
Highlighted
5 Rhenium

Jump to solution
The new dvd player I bought writes, the original just reads. In case you missed it they both do the same thing.

Yes, we are missing a lot of things since you are/were not clear in your posts. And having two completely different threads about essentially the same thing adds to the confusion.

We are not stupid. We are having to guess what you are doing and what you have.

That  is why this whole situation is taking so long to resolve !

0 Kudos
Highlighted
5 Tungsten

Jump to solution

I looked into making a bootable usb, but the iso has to be downloaded from dos and I cant use dos on library

WHAT DO YOU MEAN BY DOS, ? there is no MS DOS here. my wild guess is DOS you meant Microsoft.com.

right>? I'm only guessing wild here.... blind.

the windows web site has ISO USB builder,  that works but yes, uses lots of bandwidth.

so that means order this disks (or usb stick better) directly from Microsoft.

computers.

I have very limited data per month so I do most downloads there.

Not sure I could I download it using dos on the old GX 629 using the disk. (there is no DOS)

I could try I guess. The only alternative is buying one already made.( yes only 2ways )

The MSOffice Office was originally installed from the disk that won’t work now. I just wanted to do a repair.

won';t work now means , the disk is now bad, or fails on all PCs.? or just this PC,  IDK what you mean.

surely you know how to test any OFFICE 2007 DISK< ? (answer :try all PCs at hand)

learn too that optical media  can be marginal (scratched media tops that list no?)

it's 13 year old media, scratches do happen. (does it have the MS label on top ) THAT DISK>

nobody
0 Kudos
Highlighted
3 Argentum

Jump to solution

OK. command prompt is not DOD, it is only analagous and just looks like it. I am not allowed to get to it on a library computer.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
5 Tungsten

Jump to solution

What about the MS Office 2007 that is not recognized either. works fine on .

so it is good, so your OS is corrupted. as I stated,  if the disc is not seen in , 3 places you have corruption there.

1:explorer, device manager, and last disk manager, LOOK THERE FIRST. 

If disk manager shows no driver, the DVD drives is dead or bad drivers  for DVD or bad corrupted OS present.

As I said, the Linux disk does work on my really old Optiplex, GX620.

That is why I thought about switching the dvd drives. 

no that would be last, not first, what is first let me tell that one more time.

Drives 2 cables reseated first. always do that first,

then F2 bios, turn off safe boot, first.  if not turned off you will never ever boot any DVD, CD or the like.

Failure to boot a good DVD. (known good) Linux tested on 2 or 3 good PCs, not bad PC or infected.

Caused of non boot DVD.

1: bad DVD  drive.

2: BIOS set up wrong. safeboot off and use F12.

3: cables fell off or loose both on DVD drive rear.

did you buy a used DVD drive off of fleabay? and expect it to be good, many are not.

power on PC and hammer F12, (after F2 safeboot is off)  the Drive must show up or the drive is bad.
the  the optical drive must show up in F12. OK> ?

The Linux disk also installed(inserted in tray) on an old HP which happens to have the same model of dvd drive as the OptiPlex, that is not working. (the disk is not working or the PC?) I can not tell what that  line of text means. why test a DVD disk on a dead PC? what is there to learn here?

NO HP Model stated, all mY HP DVD works here. a z600 !

so the DVD is IS dead on 2nd PC?, try this DVD on a 3rd PC, to be sure,  none if these PC are new.

Did you burn these DVD your self using DVD-R or DVD+R,  media?

and test it on many PC to be sure its solid burn, !?  (I use ImgBurn free, and never made coaster yet.

(coaster means useless optical  disk)

nobody
0 Kudos
Highlighted
5 Tungsten

Jump to solution

Here is  GREAT 755 BIOS A22 fresh,,, youtube video review. set this page to legacy yet?(Sata OPERATION)

turn on ALL SATA ports to ON, oK, try to.

next under, integrated  NIC (network) PICK  "ON" and never, PXE, or PC will not boot. to HDD or DVD.

then set, under USB controller.,  to  ON,, and DO NOT PICK, NO BOOT. !

in the same USB vain, turn on all USB  ports, OK? each line turn them on front and rear.

under security , no passwords set on SATA 0 to 3 (all 3 ports set to no.)
TPM turned OFF NEXT.

UNDER FAST BOOT, TURN THAT  OFF. (means verbose BIOS error reports and longer checking)

BEST I CAN TELL A22 has no  safeboot feature,  (UEFI class lame, so is good this, missing good.)

this video is a treasure,  dell does not document bios or does so , in tiny bits, never all.. and not for A22. version.

in the video see BOOT sequence,  in this video his drives are missing,

yours must not be missing and the DVD drive must show up and BE SET FIRST BY YOU, oK.

now rule #1, this PC unlike newer PC, has El Torito spec, boot devices, (DVD or USB)

that means the DVD will not boot unless you hammer the space bar.  (intel rules back then, and later removed)

the acid test is to remove the HDD cables, and have only DVD and Linux in the tray. (this is just a test)

then power on and hit F12 see if the DVD shows and then pick it, if not then...

then tap the Space bar as the PC boots and the DVD will then boot.  (El Torito rules there)

PXE off disabled, and HDD cables pulled will force the DVD to boot,  and space bar hit. by you.... tap tap tap bam boots the DVD, if it is good and the  drive.

if this work , you know what to do next, right? answer is get the boot ORDER RIGHT.

bios755.JPG

I think I covered every  BIOS reason on this PC to not boot DVD.  above.

nobody
0 Kudos
Highlighted
3 Argentum

Jump to solution

i installed a different hard drive last night, putting the old hard disk in slot #2. Couldn’t install windows because it is not NTFS so I stuck the linux disk in and it installed perfectly. I was going to install it next to windows, but if I can figure out how to get to the second disk it will be fine. I will try reconnecting them in the order you noted but can’t see why that matters if the computer is off. Do I start and stop the computer in between?

I always go to ebay first. If it doesn’t work the seller almost always just sends a refund, rather than get a bad review I assume.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
5 Rhenium

Jump to solution

I pity the eBay seller that sells you anything. He probably sends you a perfectly working part and just because you don't know what you are doing he has deal with the mess. shaking my head.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
8 Xenon

Jump to solution

Couldn’t install windows because it is not NTFS 

This is not the issue.  Advanced format drives require F6 mass storage drivers.

Sata Operation needs to be set to AHCI.

You then boot from OEM

System Builder DVD.  However most win7 8 10 disks will require the region set on the drive before it will show F12 bootable.

https://www.newegg.com/microsoft-windows-10-pro-64-bit-reinstall-recovery-disc-only-no-license-key-i...

This is why I always recommend OEM System builder DVD disk and USB 2.0 optical drive.  Cannot be USB3 on older models.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/lg-8x-external-usb-2-0-blu-ray-disc-double-layer-dvdrw-cd-rw-disc-rewri...

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/952951/error-a-required-cd-dvd-device-driver-is-missing-whe...

This error can occur if one or more of the following scenarios are true: 

• The CD/DVD drive may not be compatible with Windows 7 or Windows Vista
  • The CD/DVD media may be damaged or dirty or does not have region set.
  • Your CD/DVD drive may be incompatible with the F6 Microsoft AHCI driver (msahci.sys)

https://www.seagate.com/support/kb/error-installing-windows-7-on-advanced-format-disk-drives-218571e...

https://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/04/sln146650/system-image-support-for-advanced-format-har...

https://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/04/sln297954/dell-computers-tested-for-windows-10-novembe...

here

0 Kudos
Highlighted
5 Tungsten

Jump to solution

Another Win10 DVD suggestion as it's a newer version:

Edited:  Link removed as I didn't know item was pirated.

Code of Conduct
TechSupport YouTube

0 Kudos
Highlighted
8 Xenon

Jump to solution

I absolutely reject and DO NOT RECOMMEND the EBAY DVD you suggest as this is NOT official microsoft media its pirated burned disk.  The OEM System builder disk from Newegg is an actual DVD from microsoft.  It won't ever go bad like a burned DVD would.

The reason older units have a hard time reading 1809 1903 1909 media is because its DUAL LAYER DVD aka the install.wim and ISO is larger than standard DVD 4.7 gigs. install.wim file is now too big to fit on FAT32 media being over 4 gigs.  Unfortunately especially with older systems USB3 and UEFI require FAT32.  EXFAT and NTFS  are not supported which is why a fat32 usb flash drive does not allow the install.wim file to fit.

dism /Split-Image /ImageFile:"c:\temp\install.wim /SWMFile:"c:\temp\install.swm" /FileSize:3800

https://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/04/sln313422/windows-10-iso-contains-wim-file-that-is-big...

https://www.newegg.com/microsoft-windows-10-pro-64-bit-reinstall-recovery-disc-only-no-license-key-i...

A full version of the Windows operating system is provided  with the Microsoft System Builder DVD.

One disk can be used to recover ANY machine with valid licence legally.

The EBAY disk is neither legal nor supported by microsoft.

If your drive does not recognize the media you should use USB 2.0 optical drive.

USB3 versions won't work properly on older systems.

The reason I recommend this specific model is that it comes with Cyberlogic Power DVD software which you will want as that is removed from Windows 8 and 10.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/lg-8x-external-usb-2-0-blu-ray-disc-double-layer-dvdrw-cd-rw-disc-rewri...

Being USB 2.0 and a burner it also supports DUAL LAYER DVD's that are required for windows 10  1809 1903 1909.

Being USB 2.0 also means it F12 boot works with all dell models desktop or laptop from 2006 to 2020 and beyond with windows XP/VISTA/7/8/10

Also works with most linux including Fedora, Redhat, Ubuntu, SUSE etc.

here

0 Kudos
Highlighted
5 Tungsten

Jump to solution

installed a different hard drive last night, putting the old hard disk in slot #2.

Couldn’t install windows because it is not NTFS  Windows 10? this is false, this statement 100%

you erase the disk first, so setup.exe does not block you, windows installer does not like, 2 things,

wrong formatted drives ( over 100 alien formats not allowed even apple fmt) and not erased first.

the installer even tries to protect data. it it can even see you have data there it will BALK, by DESIGN.

erase the HDD first (computer basics 101) and windows installed all by it self no need for you do know anything, it just does so automatically from any erased HDD or SSD,  learn that. please.

so I stuck the linux disk in and it installed perfectly.

That is because(no Linux stated) does not check for data first. (new Linux does ) it just finds space and lays in new partitions,  yes, I am Linux person. too) run Ubuntu V17 here, and now has blocks to W10 formats.  does.

'

I was going to install it next to windows, but if I can't figure out how to get to the second disk it will be fine.

you BIOS does not support dual booting NOW, w10 does not. no OS stated, in your posts.

BIOS is NOT A BOOT MANAGER AT ALL forget that.

in the old legacy days the BCD store, controls the boot, see editor by same name

in Linux GRUB does this, Grub can boot many OS,  but now W10, for sure 64bit and secure boot on.

I will try reconnecting them in the order you noted but can’t see why that matters if the computer is off.

huh?

Do I start and stop the computer in between?  , in between what?, add one more word at least.

why tell about ebay here, and your rule is antidotal at best.. and has nothing to do with OS installs.

if you want to dual boot any PC start a post with that as a topic (and name  at lest 2 OS exactly by name and Version or there will never be any answers)

or better yet learn to read posst here or at Microsoft forum, 10,000 post there and here tells you NO. (w10)

to run w10 you need to run the other OS as VTx  virtual machine image. with A CPU that has that feature.

and can be done both ways, Linux with VT to windows or the reverse. (and lots of  rules you do not know yet)

not sure what you are doing or trying, not me.... not at all.

nobody
0 Kudos
Highlighted
5 Tungsten

Jump to solution

DO NOT ever post any media of any kind to this form that is pirated, it will be deleted OK.

for deity (random) sake, what in the world are you doing, ?

what do you have now and where do you wish to go,  not stated at all clearly. pick a goal as stated it.

then tell what OS you have now and version or if dead now OS, and what version you want to run. name and version, like Window 10 64bit.

The MICROSOFT.com web site has the W10 usb maker ISO there and costs zero dollars to get.

and run it for 30 full days free,   why is that so hard to know?  and a free license is possible if you can prove w7 owner ship . 

to install w10 from MS (get the dual version 32/64 iSO ) build the stick using the free MS ISO stick builder.

set the PC bIOS to 100% legacy mode. safeboot  disable for sure !!! inside F2 BIOS.

then boot the stick ( USB ports enable, USB booting enabled, in BIOS F2) 

and first erase any HDD first. learn how to erase disk, did  you know, that the w10 installer can NOT erase all disks, of 100+ of formats! in the wild, that is a fact. learn that 1st. (I can list all 100 to you but why)

W10 installs automatically to any pure erased disk, no issues EVER>

if the booted installer fails to see your disk or does not like your disk take that to the bank it is a fact .

bad disk or NOT ERASED First (we are booted from USB stick do not use DVD, as they are too slow and problematic for sure this old)

if you have too many partitions the installer also fails.  (cured only with GPU UEFI  mode set PC'S)

do you even know the difference what a formatted disk and erased is? (erased means 100% pure empty)

the latter contains NO FORMAT AT ALL, period.  and all Microsoft OS installed to any real erased HDD./SSD.

learn to erase and now, I use KILLDISK.exe free. works perfect every time. (but needs and OS to run)

my guess is you have no working OS now.

there are more tricky ways sure, one can boot a w10 install disk and go to command prompt and use.

USING DISKPART  utility. (this uses only MS software and is FREE)

w10 now has a new remove everything feature, after 40 year waiting MS gets head out of the sand. (non geek ways) google that to learn but W10 must be running now. to do that.

• Click Start Bottom, and click Settings
  • Click Update and Security
  • Click Recovery, find Reset this PC, and click Get Started
  • Choose an option between "Keep my files" and "Remove everything"

but you don't have working w10 PC to erase disk 2.

here is the boot media installer answer here,  how to erase any hDD.

advanced option, then click command prompt from boot installer mode.

at the command prompt do the steps here with DISKPART clean, (no need to do clean all)

when you boot the w10 install media you get choices, here is page 1.

now a click list

1. boot w10 installer from USB port
  2. click repair your computer
  3. click advanced.
  4. click command prompt
  5. (use commands to pick a drive if only one drive present (hint) no brainer. actions next

this lame page looks like this with old or dead OS there. your s will shows unallocated space on  drive.bingo.

if and only if the OS installer likes what it sees there, the delete key works too. there.  if not not.

not means alien

other errors are mbr format not possible on UEFI enabled BOIS ( so change it)

error 2, cant have dynamic volumes there.

error 3, contains important data working, do as you please.

error 4, GPT volume not allowed

error 5, going deeper than 4 partitions,,  MBR 4 primary max. GPT is 128 parts.

there are more errors possible for sure bad hdd, or  corrupted partition and frankly endless, really

erase the drive,  and start new.

I use killdisk on my windows 7 PE live media disk, or my cool TODO disks, same.

on a 2nd PC,  that runs perfectly and HDD not bad, the disk can be erased in DISK MANAGER easy.

right click disk there (2nd good PC) and pick delete VOLUME,  gone it is.

there are endless ways to erase, some of the above are very common . learn how first. for sure.

vast persons send new HDD back for refund not  a clue what erase means or how.

nobody
0 Kudos
Highlighted
3 Argentum

Jump to solution

Don’t know what I said that was pirated.

I am not interested in installing windows 10.

I don’t understand most of what you say, especially all the initials.

Please don’t write me any more.

I am obviously too ignorant to post on this forum so I won’t be back.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
5 Tungsten

Jump to solution

@dorothyroeder, you didn't say anything that was "pirated."  You indicated early on that you're a novice and it doesn't look like some things were kept simple enough and/or it was forgotten that you're a novice.  So if by chance you still read this, there you go.

Code of Conduct
TechSupport YouTube

View solution in original post

Highlighted
5 Tungsten

Jump to solution

@speedstep and @savvy2 - OBVIOUSLY I DIDN'T KNOW THE ITEM I LINKED WAS PIRATED, OR ALLEGEDLY PIRATED, AND LINK WAS REMOVED.

Code of Conduct
TechSupport YouTube

0 Kudos
Highlighted
3 Argentum

Jump to solution

I don’t believe I said that because I never had occasion to do so.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
3 Argentum

Jump to solution

hAfter my first post I got 3 or 4 posts, one every couple of hours from a Dell robot asking for details on my computer. I could not figure out how to reply as none of the buttons got me anywhere useful. I thought it was part of the thread so I finally posted it there. What I got was a notice that it was no longer under warranty, even though I never mentioned expecting that jt was. I also got a lot of flak from you guys. Is that the pirated material you are talking about?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
5 Tungsten

Jump to solution

The unknowingly "pirated" material in question was a link I gave for a DVD with Win10 v.1909.  Please see screengrabs.  They'll show once approved by a moderator.

Tip:  In Android, from a cell phone anyway, photos don't show while signed in.  A tag like @bradthetechnut also doesn't show while signed in.

Also, where are you now with things?

Capture+_2020-01-24-13-24-19.png

Capture+_2020-01-24-13-23-23.png

Code of Conduct
TechSupport YouTube

Highlighted
3 Argentum

Jump to solution

Thank you for your post.

As of now, I accept that the disks are probably not top notch even if they only work sometimes. The DVD player seems to be a generic model commonly used in refurbishes. so definitely not top notch. Not thrilled with the corrupted Windows 7 pro idea. Wiping the disk I have done and is a real time burner so not likely to try that at this time since antivirus scans are all negative. 

I did want to have some windows program on the new hard drive. I had paid $20 for a 260GB refurbished drive with windows 10, but got a 1Tb one with no OS. I wrote to the seller and he said the shipping guy must have pulled the wrong one, he would send me another. I told him it was OK, I didn’t need another h.d. I have installed Linux Mint which was my prime intent. If I can figure out how to install Win 7 when all I got when I tried was that I couldn’t, I will. If not I can always try a virtual os. got plenty of gb to play with.

Maybe it is possible to reformat a partition for windows. At the moment I am exhausted with this. So not really willing to think about it.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
5 Tungsten

Jump to solution

because it is not NTFS 

no that is not what it told you, sorry, it told you , that UEFI NTSF is there and you are trying to break a UEFI safe  disk HDD.

the cure is only one , erase the HDD, then install W10

learn this , UEFI protects the owner of the HDD< from others reading it  or using it on an alien PC.

it is also protected at the W10 install level too,  Setup.exe. the installers sees you attacking a locked UEFI set of partitions and that is not legal now. (new rules)

erase the drive first ( this comments you have all data backed up,  "BASICS")

nobody
0 Kudos
Highlighted
5 Tungsten

Jump to solution

OLD PC problems, it's old, expect this, you must,

• no photos of disks presented. not one. ( we are blind and not gawd like, working blind = FAIL)
  • DVD drives, can fail this old or be dirty inside, blow out the optics yet,? called normal service.
  • DVD disks can be bad, for sure scratched or cracked or worn or even burned WRONG ! are they DVD-R ?
  • Linux (unstated of 1000s) only installed from boot media, and best to an erased HDD>
  • if you erase a HDD with DOD erase APP'S.  it will take days, so don't use DOD , just a single pass of 0s. oK. DOD is for them CIA, or NSA< not you , ever. use simple ERASE FAST , OK>?
  • Ask for what to do, not guess ,ask, I use killdisk.exe to do that in single pass mode.
  • Does your old Window7 have all 350 updates, gee if not then it can be infected the statement hear it is drama rings wo HOLLOW !,  infections are HUGE> proof here, and more.
  • You have no bandwidth to the web in some library, will that is easy answer, go somewhere else and get your ISO files for Linux or windows,  who has bandwidth, or at home , if not then you have only one choice no buy the INSTALL Media from a top professional. (pre made on DVD or USB stick , USB is best)
  • windows does not read Linux media, the reverse is does or can.  ? OK boot the Linux installer is correct.
  • Most PCs this old have bad RTC coin cell, that is first to cure , never last , or CHAO happens.
  • Most PC this old the HDD fails smart tests,  and is hopeless to install any OS to any bad HDD, we test the hDD first on all PCs, a PC Service 101, #1 do that now. test. OK> is this clear.?
  • We erase  HDD only when windows installer fails to work to it, then run HDD S.M.A.R>T test if that passes we run killdisk.exe single pass and like magic the windows installer likes your HDD, is this clear?
  • if the old HDD fails SMART tests we crush it and trash it. there is no cures on earth for bad hdd. zero, without $10,000 in the wild fund that is.
  • The free version of killdisk does only one pass, and is fast and best for this job.
  • If you have working OS, put the HDD to be erased in the 2nd SATA port and use CCcleaner free, and er...
  • Try to learn that any infected PC can also scramble HDD formatting so bad the W7/8/10 installs do not like the disk it deems it ALIEN, and STALLS>  I can demo that to you  all you want, it's not magic this.
  • Again and last DO EXPECT trouble with old PCs, old batteries ,old hdd and for sure junk DVDs laying about made by larry the cable guy. (or on wrong media , or made or burned WRONG)
  • OK one more ever seen a USB DVD drive, I have one and boots on all my DELLS, on demand $15 bucks.
  • we use that on PCs that have dead DVD drive and we MUST use DVD.  All shops have one, or go nuts.
  • It too need new clean DVD media for it to work.

Sounds to me your top problems are

NO BANDWIDTH,  (ISO images of  4GB  are too big) wow that is SHOW STOPPER THAT NO?

Bad MEDIA (weak or burned wrong, or the media is infected, or worse)

BAD DRIVES. DVD and HDD., bad RTC coin cell battery is due. over due.

Just because w7  seems runs ok, does not mean the HDD is ok,  run smart tests, first. ok>???????

and full AV scans online (google that and learn how)

(windows 7 is  dead OS now, zero support. you might consider that, and upgrade)

zero support means , it is virus magnet worse , forward in time. from NOW.

just like XP is.

this is my summary of all things you told and did not do or respond. GOOD luck on OLD PC's.

nobody
0 Kudos
Highlighted
5 Tungsten

Re: 13 year old PC vast problems (expected this old) and no service tech at hand

Jump to solution

I will answer INLINE now.

What about the MS Office 207 that is not recognized either. works fine on 

the DISK IS WEAK (happens and no photos of it by you to us) or the drive is bad, or weak and fails gee IT IS OLD.

As I said, the Linux disk does work on my really old Optiplex, GX620. That is why I thought about switching the dvd drives. (no stated method or symptoms stated when it failed told at all just fails, why?

My guess is you  do not have the skills to get any DVD to boot using BIOS setting right,

The DVD must be in the boot order first. ok and when you power on any old PC you must hammer the space bar (most easy key on earth) and that makes the DVD boot, that is called the El Torito RULE.

some PCs are devoid of El Torito rules and just boot the DVD, if first in the ORDER LIST.

oK, is this clear, BIOS IS NOT EASY, and varies by maker and model and year and versions,, oK<> ?

The Linux disk also installed on an old HP which happens to have the same model of dvd drive as the Optiplex that is not working

OK the disks seems OK , kinda.  (disks can be weak, and so can any DVD drive on earth and for SURE OLD or OMG the 2nd PC is not certified to do DVD-R disks, at all. no sticker model of drive stated. or photos of the DELL sticker on top of DRIVE.)

btw ,my other post of BIOS shows this PC is in fact UEFI free, that is why I posted that video

and to see that the video maker documented the whole settings every page, UNLIKE DELL !!!!!

That Video is your treasure trove, watch it and learn  the settings, clearly.,  watch it and learn.

For me and I am sure  all,

we do not know what DISK you have, not at all.  (good ,bad, weak, or are DVD-R and burned wrong)

nobody can just guess that and not ONE PHOTO IF IT POSTED (making help 10x more hard) by you.

nobody
0 Kudos
Highlighted
5 Tungsten

Re: 13 year old PC vast problems (expected this old) and no service tech at hand

Jump to solution

DOD is department of defense ,dod.gov USA< and they do have erase rules and you to avoid. (time maters)

DOS = MS disk operating system but there is no DOS here.

yes, some call command prompt DOS but will be told it is not DOS because it is not DOS at all.

but yah you are running w7 that is custom tuned by your "IT" department, (ask them for help)

nobody
0 Kudos
Highlighted
5 Tungsten

Jump to solution

lets to post #1 again !

are you on a DOMAIN?   (all PCs connected to your gov. DOMAIN controller server?) IDK what you have there.

what else is blocked besides CMD (command prompt)?

I bet lots is and are all controlled by your "IT" department or your supervisor in your library.

The command prompt is never blocked on any home PC or standalone PC,  or just only connected to your home router or directly to any ISP.

in any business or gov body this is not the case it  is part of a huge DOMAIN.

your only clue so far as 2 things.

1: a library , somewhere on earth.

2: command prompt blocked.

this is all I really need to know , 

seems you need to talk to your supervisor or call 'IT" and ask for help, in the USA this (SOP)

SOP= MEANS STANDARD OPERATING PROCEEDURES

IF NOT ON ANY DOMAIN AND COMMAND PROMPT IS BLOCKED

THE W7 IS INFECTED. (viruses are endless but some do that, and some even block the whole control panel

in fact regressing the OS back one RESTORE POINT IS dead, and lots more. dead. (CHAOS true)

nobody
0 Kudos
Highlighted
5 Tungsten

Initials, 101. no problem lets do some.

Jump to solution

sorry you got bogged down in Initials, they are actual abreactions. or acronyms.

or as some say buzzzz words,  all technology has this language, for sure even your doctor and in Latin, OMG.

HDD = hard disks drive, or SSD solid stated drive,
DISK = has mast meanings, HUGE< and must have 2nd word for anyone to know it or in CONTEXT.

CPU, the PCs processors yours is 13 years old. (Core2, Celeron) only the most newest CORE2 CPU runs w10-32 bit. so upgrades are impossible above w7 not knowing your EXACT CPU, model and stepping version. OK>

Central Processing unit,  this PC came with 512MB of ram (some did) and w10 will not load with that,ever.

Format?  the HDD is formatted many ways,  (Linux formats are not like windows, unless great care is done)

DVD , has many forms not just one, it has DVD-ROM (made by machine like you see at Walmart for Movies)

DVD-R recordable or DVD+R  ,  many DVD drives can not read this format, (the R means recorded at home)

CDrom, (machine made in huge volumes) like Walmart CDDA music disks or old XP installers from dell or MS.
CD-r like DVD-r  and again the R means recordable, and many a DRIVE can not handle this media for sure drive not supporting it, or weak or bad or media old. 13 years old is very very old.

DRIVE< the CD or DVD drive is the box that does it all, called  DRIVE< it spins the disk and reads the disk.

DRIVE can be a HDD or SSD, too, and is box with all that inside,magic,

USD boots,  all PCs 10 years old do this. 13yo is iffy but that video I posted tells you it works.

this  PC , to use USB one must go into BIOS and turn on USB ports all, and set them to boot first in ORDER.

seen as BOOT ORDER, first. of using DVD to boot set order to DVD.

The video posted at 10 seconds  in shows boot sequence can be also USB or CD rom.

Then same video , enable all SATA ports in this PC.

turn on SMART monitoring next.

at sata operation, set autodetect,. AHCI, (or legacy if that fails)

at video Integrated NIC< set it to ON and never set it to ON /PXE EVER> you never want it to boot to PXE and fail you will. if PXE is enabled !!!

NEXT is USB controller in the video,, are you watching it?

set this to  ON, do not pick NO BOOT or USB boots will be DEAD.

USB quad and DUAL and front must be ON,  or they will BE DEAD.

all PCI slots ACTIVE.

WAY DOWN, TURN OFF TPM. (THIS IS super old , class 1?UEFI JUNK) OFF. FOR SURE.

DO NOT SET BIOS PASSWORDS.

that is about it,

learn 1 thing, how to turn on all PORTs, and how to set boot order and learn how to boot DVD and USB installer sticks. (USB sticks means,  USB thumb drives, memory sticks, or as called no uDISK)

learn that HP PCs are not DELL and no DELL has HP BIOS nor does any HP have DELL BIOS, EVER>

you must learn both to be effective in your work as a tech.

BIOS is one of the most complex topics on Computers and is not standardized at ALL.

and the makers do not document BIOS, thus my posting of the wonder video of all BIOS SETTINGS just THIS PC.

nobody
0 Kudos
Highlighted
8 Xenon

Jump to solution

Newer disks may require region code set on the drive.

They also may have issue with dual layer disks.

Media recorded faster than 1x  2x  4x may be a problem.

This is easily checked by trying a 4x burned cdrom disk for something small like puppy linux

http://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/puppy-slacko-6.3.2/32/slacko-6.3.2-uefi.iso

here

Highlighted
3 Argentum

Jump to solution

Thanks. That would explain the linux disk but not the ms office which worked when I first installed the program. Probably just not the best dvd drive.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
5 Tungsten

Jump to solution

"will not read linux,"

what does that mean, tell what you mean by  that statement. (tell you you did that?

windows, OS, can not read LINUX formatted disks of most kinds,  LINUX is not WINDOWS. (fat32 can share)

did you mean you are running, windows, and you inserted a Linux install DVD, and windows, explorer can not see the disk,  that is normal and at linux web site (1000 exist non stated by you) the tell you to boot the DVD

only that. and you need to erase the HDD first, or linux will not like what it sees there. ok>?

if only we can see what is in hand and what you did with linux something.

good luck to you.

nobody
0 Kudos